Author Topic: jigging raps  (Read 3743 times)

Offline gill

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
jigging raps
« on: Dec 18, 2003, 08:38 PM »
 ??? eh everyone. i'm new to hardwater walleye fishing. i heard jigging raps are good baits for eyes. just wondering you guys can help me out on your favorite sizes and colors for them. thanks.

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
Re:jigging raps
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2003, 09:20 PM »
I would start out with the two inch (size 5), and two and a half (size seven). The most important thing is to match the size of your rap to the size of the forage. Here in Colorado, where the forage is small, I use even the small size 3, which is 1 and one half inches long.
I like gold, chartreuse, perch, silver blue, and orange. Don't forget the Nils Master jigging shads either. They have a fatter profile and imitate shad and small panfish better. Tip with a small minnow head, no bigger than your pinky fingernail, and simply lift once every 20 seconds, followed by pauses with shakes and jiggles.

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline Trevor

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2003, 07:36 PM »
Most of my walleyes are caught on jiggin raps.  I've used every size successfully,  from #9 down to #2.  I would recommend starting with a #5 however and see how they react.  As for color that depends on water coloration/clarity, depth, weather, existing forage, and a mess of other factors.  Just experiment.  The colors I find myself using most often are Silver Flo Chart and silver.  I use Nils jigging shads as well but prefer the action of the rap.  The jigging rap is easily my favorite lure for both perch and walleye.  I must own at least 50 of the things.  Wife keeps asking why I need so many...lol

WolverineX

« Reply #3 on: Dec 23, 2003, 03:57 PM »
Hello Guys   Yes i fell the same way,start with #5s. See how they react. Have had great luck with the #7 also. Let the fish tell you what they want. As far as color i like the sudle colors myself. Silver/Black,Gold/Black,Natural Perch. Some lakes in my area do go for the bright colors also. Oh ya, the first thing i do when i buy them,get some Mustad triple Grip Hooks, size #8. Better hook ups with the biggers hooks. BECARFUL changing them hooks!!!!!  Good luck Guys

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.