Author Topic: HT Windlass Tip-up  (Read 3084 times)

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HT Windlass Tip-up
« on: Feb 06, 2004, 07:52 PM »
I thought about buying a couple this year
but have not yet. Any comment about these would help me. Also I mainly panfish through the ice and do not use tip-ups very often.
Thanks
Greg
Fish on!

Offline king_fish#1

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Live To Fish, Fish To Live
Re: HT Windlass Tip-up
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2004, 08:18 PM »
Greg2ha i have a windlass and i always us it for pike but ive heard people using the windlass because it moves up in down in the wind for panfish especially perch but there great tip ups if there used right.

Offline reelcharacter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Bluegills, That's how it all got started . . .
« Reply #2 on: Mar 08, 2004, 10:46 PM »
Go for it, particularly if you can get them at a Walmart summer sale for $2.50 like I did. (One of the VERY FEW times I happened to be in the right place at the right time).

The wind will vary on the ice any given day, so setting the correct adjustment can be somewhat of a challenge at times. I still consider myself a duffer fisherman, but feel fairly confident and proficient with these tip ups.

I would say to give them a try. (I have 10 of them).

-reelcharacter
PM me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

Offline Prairie Bear

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2017, 10:15 AM »
They are  made of cheap plastic.

Offline Zachery80

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2017, 10:22 AM »
They work as advertised if you use them right. You can adjust the spring tension on them for how much you want them to move too and the are also fairly cheap.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Jan 19, 2017, 10:26 AM »
They work and are sturdy ...only nuance with them is on cold days as they jig the line will accumulate ice build up ...I find out on some days they will be the only thing that shines on other days couldn't buy a bite . I would suggest if your a pan fish guy get some tip downs

http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/sure-strike-tip-down/0000000060989
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Born Late

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 19, 2017, 03:25 PM »
My biggest complaint is they are kind of clunky on the release.  When a fish trips the flag, the spool tends to unwind quickly and can tangle itself.  You can minimize that by increasing the tension on the spool but you'll likely reduce your hook-ups in the process.  But out here on some of our walleye lakes where the use of live minnows isn't allowed, they are a big improvement over a motionless bait.
YOU are the only one who can decide if the ice is safe enough for you.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.