Author Topic: ANOTHER pickled fish question  (Read 10674 times)

Offline Ice Dog 67

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DCB = Delta Bravo
ANOTHER pickled fish question
« on: Jan 29, 2013, 07:23 PM »
Hey Everybody, I have many pickled fish recipes and a couple are real keepers.  What I haven't been able to find/figure out is a close approximation of the Elf Herring wine sauce.  I reeeeeeeeeeally like the taste of it and just have not been able to put something together that is close to it. 

Has anybody ever come with a recipe that they think is close to this?  Thanks all! :tipup:

Offline chasin eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: ANOTHER pickled fish question
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30, 2013, 11:44 AM »
Ice dog,  here's a recipe for pickled northern, that is about the closest I've found to the Elf flavor.

Cut fillets into squares, about the size of pickled herring pieces.  Place fillets into crock or glass jar with brine for 24 hours.  (do not use plastic)
Brine:  ½ cup salt (not iodized), to 1 quart water.  Stir until salt is dissolved.  Cover fillets completely, large batch may need 2 brine mixes.
Stir with plastic or wooden spoon once or twice during the 24 hour period.
Drain off brine after 24 hours and discard.  Cover with white vinegar for 12 hours. (if this goes over 12 hours, it should not be a problem).  During the 12 hours, make the following pickling solution:
Pickling Solution:
4 cups white vinegar
3 cups sugar
1 cup Silver Satin Wine (do not substitute)
2 raw onions (sliced thin)
¼ cup pickling spice
Method:  Dissolve sugar in white vinegar, heat then cool, (do not boil).  After it cools add Silver Satin Wine, onions and pickling spice.  Bring to a boil then cool.  (Do Not Add Warm Solution to the Fillets!)
Drain off vinegar and discard.  Put fish back in large jar or crock with pickling solution and cover.  After 2-3 days, pack fish in smaller jars, add enough pickling solution to cover fish, then cover jars.  Keep refrigerated at all times.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2013, 04:56 PM »
Try 1 cup Pinot Griggio wine, 2 cups white vinegar, 1 cup cider vinegar ;) ;)

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline Ice Dog 67

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DCB = Delta Bravo
« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2013, 10:46 AM »
Thanks fellas...............I'll give them both a try if I can find some Silver Satin that's readily available.  Much appreciated!

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Jan 31, 2013, 04:26 PM »
My dad taught me to eat herring, pickles, olives, oysters etc. when I was a little kid. My Brothers had no idea what they were sticking their noses up at.

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #5 on: Jan 31, 2013, 05:12 PM »
Ive got 6 pickeral fillets in the freezer from last weekend kept specifically to pickle!!  Gonna get attem this weekend. 

Offline RussianBear

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2013, 08:39 AM »
Do you remove the bones from pickerel when you pickle them?
I know vinegar dissolves stuff but will it dissolved bones and if yes, how long do you need to let fillets sit in a jar for bones to dissolve?
Btw, i never pickled before but caught plenty of pickerel to want to try this?

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Feb 02, 2013, 04:30 PM »
I don't know about the bones dissolving. It does nothing to small perch, bass or walleye bones. Lateral line spines that is. I'd just fillet the critters. Check out some of the YouTube videos. It's pretty much like filleting a pike.

RG

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 02, 2013, 06:28 PM »
Do you remove the bones from pickerel when you pickle them?
I know vinegar dissolves stuff but will it dissolved bones and if yes, how long do you need to let fillets sit in a jar for bones to dissolve?
Btw, i never pickled before but caught plenty of pickerel to want to try this?
Yes it will disolve the bones.I leave the y bones in pike,& within 5 days they are mush. Same goes for canning pike & salmon,the pressure breaks em down. One other thing I do when pickling fish;I like to layer thinly sliced onions,lemons & limes in with the fish.Not alot of lemons & limes,but a few. I do like a lot of onions in there though.
"Yes officer, my chocolate lab did shoot me,with my brothers 12 gauge"!  11-8-87,true story!          "Sorry were late mom,Chris & me just got done with a cow hunt,we each got a big black Angus with our muzzleloaders"!  (the Christmas eve cow hunt w/ my son; 2004 !

Offline RussianBear

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 02, 2013, 10:16 PM »
How do you pressurize it?

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 03, 2013, 12:05 PM »
I was refering to canning fish in a pressure cooker.A completely different process than pickling.You do not want to can pickled fish.I was just saying that the vinegar in the pickling solution "cooks" the bones down so you can eat them & not even know it.I have never left anything bigger than y bones or pin bones  in fish when doing either of these processes.Sorry for any confusion.
"Yes officer, my chocolate lab did shoot me,with my brothers 12 gauge"!  11-8-87,true story!          "Sorry were late mom,Chris & me just got done with a cow hunt,we each got a big black Angus with our muzzleloaders"!  (the Christmas eve cow hunt w/ my son; 2004 !

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
« Reply #11 on: Feb 05, 2013, 12:39 PM »
PLEASE freeze the fish for 24hrs 48hrs is better,the only way to kill ALL the bugs[PARASITES]
THE REAL BAD ONE TAPE WORM,
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.