Author Topic: Separate sled for all the cooking supplies??  (Read 2640 times)

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
Separate sled for all the cooking supplies??
« on: Sep 21, 2012, 09:10 AM »
So when you plan to cook some serious grub on the ice, which I do maybe about half the time, do you just pile the stove, food, pans, etc into the sled, or do you have a separate 'chuck wagon'.  Im building a smaller dual purpose sled that will double as a run and gun sled if im by myself, or as a kitchen sled to haul all the cooking gear out if there are a bunch of us.  What do you do?

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
Re: Separate sled for all the cooking supplies??
« Reply #1 on: Sep 21, 2012, 09:35 AM »
Good idea.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #2 on: Sep 21, 2012, 11:02 AM »
If I use one of my portables I pack a lunch. If I use my wheelhouse I have a propane stove and griddle.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
« Reply #3 on: Sep 21, 2012, 11:08 AM »
Well we usually each have at least one sled per person so we combine what we can to free up some sled space then put what we can where... when it's just me and my cousin we have 2 sleds one which is the biggest jet sled you can buy and a regular size jet sled and it fits all our stuff easily... also depends if we have an atv or if we are walking to our fishing spot

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline Joedirt34

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Life on the ice
« Reply #4 on: Sep 21, 2012, 11:17 AM »
Having a wheel house . This has never been an issue . We cook and heat with wood and always bring the wheeler maybe an extra trip back to the truck for the food or what have you . It works best this way for us because when you. Have a large group less stuff laying around . Plus the temp in the truck keeps things cold until needed !

I'm the kinda guy who's always prepared always packing for the maybe ! But if ice fishing has taught me nothing if you don't use it don't bring it ! So now it stays in the truck it's close by if needed but not in my way !
  Also on the meal subject my better half does most of the prep work at home to save time so she can chase flags
I know none of this really helps but it's s system that you need to figure out what works best for you ! A sled sounds great just for the extra value of the run and gun ! Not you got me thinking ! Lol
---- Joe ----

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #5 on: Sep 25, 2012, 10:37 AM »
Having a wheel house . This has never been an issue . We cook and heat with wood and always bring the wheeler maybe an extra trip back to the truck for the food or what have you . It works best this way for us because when you. Have a large group less stuff laying around . Plus the temp in the truck keeps things cold until needed !

I'm the kinda guy who's always prepared always packing for the maybe ! But if ice fishing has taught me nothing if you don't use it don't bring it ! So now it stays in the truck it's close by if needed but not in my way !
  Also on the meal subject my better half does most of the prep work at home to save time so she can chase flags
I know none of this really helps but it's s system that you need to figure out what works best for you ! A sled sounds great just for the extra value of the run and gun ! Not you got me thinking ! Lol
I took me a while to get a couple of buddies to understand that if you don't need it, you don't bring it. One of them brought his "stuff" into my wheel house and it took up an area two feet high by six feet long along the wall. Boxes of food, a case of water, several large tackle boxes, two fish cameras, a tool box containing spare batteries for his cameras, and a couple boxes of miscellanious "stuff". I told him to get everything out that he didn't need to fish with. I said there are three of us and six holes. You need to decide if you want to fish or watch fish.  ???

Offline Joedirt34

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Life on the ice
« Reply #6 on: Sep 25, 2012, 11:09 AM »
Lol l used to be that guy ! Plus add 4 kids to the mix and stuff adds up ! Now between the 4 of them they are allowed 2 back backs to share . Lord only knows what they will fit into them ! Lol
  I cleaned out the shack this weekend and I filled two boxes of stuff I never touched last year !
---- Joe ----

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #7 on: Sep 25, 2012, 12:59 PM »
I tell them it's a bare bones operation. What you "need" for fishing during the day and what you "need" for sleeping during the night. One of them became a bit wiser one morning when he folded his cot up and the three rods he had hidden in the framework went CRUNCH. He must have forgotten that old coots are forgetful.  :o ;D ;D ;D

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #8 on: Sep 25, 2012, 01:50 PM »
How great to be able to sleep out there on the ice!!  Im jealous.  Although, I have been thinking of a plank to put in my portable, to lay across both seats, in case I am in need of a nap.......

Offline NorthWoods Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work!
« Reply #9 on: Oct 02, 2012, 01:05 AM »
A wheelhouse is alot easier for cooking meals. I just took out the stove in mine and will be using a Coleman stove this year. I also keep a small grill in my truck. I have to agree, keeping "stuff" in the truck helps! My wife also does prep work for me and I pack all I need into a cube cooler that has a place in the wheelhouse.

I also have a partner who brings TOO much stuff with him! I like the "bare bones" approach to fishing...AND I don't want to be stepping over crap in the middle of the night!

Sleeping in a wheelhouse is great! Most of the time, you have the whole lake to yourself at night and its peaceful!

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #10 on: Oct 02, 2012, 01:26 PM »
I have a propane two burner stove and a propane griddle which I use on my truck's tailgate. I would love to find an old charcoal Hibachi at a garage sale sometime. I have a table with a roll up top if I need to do some cooking inside due to the weather. Everything gets stored in a 29"x19"x 6'3" storage box in the front of my wheelhouse which doubles as my bunk. I like to keep it simple with everything out of my way unless it is needed at the time.  One of the hardest things has been getting my buddies to understand that my wheelhouse isn't a three bedrooom apartment on the ice and some things need to stay home or in the truck. My batteries get charged once in a while and the TV and 110v coffee maker get used while the generator is running in the morning or evening. I will now sleep with a CPAP which requires running my generator all night rather than using an Inverter. It is a quiet Honda 1000i and you can stand next to it and carry on a conversation which shouldn't really bother anyone.

Offline NorthWoods Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Oct 02, 2012, 01:30 PM »
I use a Honda EX650 generator, I have to agree with Ice Dawg...QUIET! For coffee, I have a Colman coffe maker that sits on the Colman stove. Works slick!

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #12 on: Oct 02, 2012, 07:38 PM »
I was snooping around the garage the other day and found a nice stainless coffee percolator to use with the Coleman stove. It was still in the box so I figure the wife bought years ago or it was in my mother's basement when she passed away. It will find it's way into my wheelhouse.  ;D

Offline NorthWoods Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Oct 05, 2012, 10:18 AM »
I was snooping around the garage the other day and found a nice stainless coffee percolator to use with the Coleman stove. It was still in the box so I figure the wife bought years ago or it was in my mother's basement when she passed away. It will find it's way into my wheelhouse.  ;D

I got a Coleman coffee maker. Works just the one in the kitchen. Just set it on the stove! I found a small BBQ grill with a cover at a garage sale that taks up less space then my little Weber. I'm gonna stash it in the outside compartment on the wheelhouse....

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #14 on: Oct 05, 2012, 05:39 PM »
I got a Coleman coffee maker. Works just the one in the kitchen. Just set it on the stove! I found a small BBQ grill with a cover at a garage sale that taks up less space then my little Weber. I'm gonna stash it in the outside compartment on the wheelhouse....
I guess all we need now is ice.  ;D ;D ;D ;D :icefish:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.