New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SARATOGA LAKE BS THREAD  (Read 223572 times)

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
Re: SARATOGA LAKE BS THREAD
« Reply #1350 on: Jan 22, 2021, 11:48 AM »
Adironzach ... I had the same experience and idenentical ice thickness. Very slow night but the weather was nice(no wind). When jigging for eyes, do you use the whole minnow or cut it in half?

Weather was beautiful. I was properly dressed so it made bouncing around trying to find them much easier. didnt have to move shanty around as i could fish exposed. when i tip my lures, ill use half a minnow normally. if theyre on the smaller side ill use a whole one. I tend to try and switch up fairly often to dial it in, however without marks it makes that a lot more challenging. i threw swimbaits, spoons, a couple different types of lipless, and a couple jiggin raps. Just wasnt in the right spot unfortunetely. Toga always frustrates me. Past few years have resulted in mostly disappointing outings compared to mid 2010s when i was first getting into the hardwater. its so close to home tho i tend to still keep trying when i get the chance to make it out last minute.

Iv also found that being alone goes a long way. Get away from the crowds.

I'll agree with you there. especially on toga. i feel like the eyes there are a bit skiddish. I dont like fishing around ppl to begin with so im always trying to keep my distance. We (1 other buddy with me) were the only ppl i could see out last night from where we setup

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1351 on: Jan 22, 2021, 12:07 PM »
Skidding is the way id describe it as well. Although every time I plan a night bite trip it seems like I can’t avoid the wind, so searching for them has been a little more taxing in my attempts.

And yes, get past the crowds, which doesn’t take much since most hover near the shoreline, is my tactic as well

Offline IceNeck9292

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1352 on: Jan 22, 2021, 12:39 PM »
Hows it look heading towards snake hill? Have the wheeler loaded incase its good ice but I have a feeling ill be hoofing it. Heard there was water on the south end?
Cacth them by day, fillet them by night.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1353 on: Jan 22, 2021, 12:55 PM »
I’m not a machine guy. But I haven’t seen any out at this point so far this year. Drag has been easy, bare ice for the most part.

Offline phil2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1354 on: Jan 22, 2021, 05:54 PM »
Never have problems running quads or sleds. But lake isnt ready for it yet. Hate to see you in the drink. If you were with me last weekend you wouldn't think there was enough to walk on. I stay after dark and had me freaked out. There's a 4 ft wide probably 6 ft wide crack now from stoney point runs to cabins. Gets smaller mid lake to cabins then splits and goes to the hill. There are more blow holes on west side then i ever seen. Was one off stoney in 24 ft the size of a garbage can. Mid lake is junk open spots and cracks. It took 4 turns with mora. Not that you dont know what your doing. Its the others that dont have a clue and see you and think its safe everywhere.   
Hows it look heading towards snake hill? Have the wheeler loaded incase its good ice but I have a feeling ill be hoofing it. Heard there was water on the south end?

Offline IceNeck9292

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1355 on: Jan 22, 2021, 08:13 PM »
Totally get it man. Lakes been weird last couple years. Gonna just hump my way out there save the wheeler for a later time. Took a drive around Lake looks funky saw what you are talking about hopefully I can get by it saw one guy out in the deep water. We shall see.
Cacth them by day, fillet them by night.

Offline delta12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1356 on: Jan 23, 2021, 09:47 AM »
Out yesterday also from Waterfront Park and then across toward Franklin. from 2:30 to 6:15. Good ice about 5in. and decent weather. Had a few flags, they would take some line but no hook ups. The bait would be marked up a little but not hurt. Not sure bout mid lake, but guys were out everywhere else I looked including Snake Hill. 

Offline reddog11

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lunker Lewie is the son of Adirondack Lew.
« Reply #1357 on: Jan 23, 2021, 08:42 PM »
Very impressive. You must have avoided the crowds at browns to pull out those numbers. Any size to the eyes?
We did`nt fish off Brown`s beach. We were at the North end of the lake. Can`t give up my spot though... Biggest `eye was 19".
Master Laker taker.

Offline Stka

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1358 on: Jan 25, 2021, 01:16 PM »
I've been on the south end a few times so far, finally got one walleye last Friday. There were a few machines on the ice, but ice was boarderline, I'm actually surprised there weren't reports on any going through. We were on 5" of ice, but I can guarantee it's not 5" everywhere. Last I heard it was still open under the bridge at state launch, that 2nd hand account was no more than a week ago. I'd exercise extreme caution with machines, and walking is very easy now anyway. Bring cleats.

Offline reddog11

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lunker Lewie is the son of Adirondack Lew.
« Reply #1359 on: Feb 01, 2021, 09:21 PM »
Hit Saratoga today. Negative bite day. 2 big perch. One walleye. 24" toothy slimmer. Windy day...
Master Laker taker.

Offline Laker518

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1360 on: Feb 02, 2021, 08:58 AM »
Anyone have much luck night fishing on Saratoga lake? Browns a decent spot to try to go for some walleye? Depth ranges or recommendations?  Thanks!

Offline Stka

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1361 on: Feb 02, 2021, 01:18 PM »
Anyone have much luck night fishing on Saratoga lake? Browns a decent spot to try to go for some walleye? Depth ranges or recommendations?  Thanks!

Well, my homemade tipup lights have been much more successful than my fishing.
After 6 or so trips, I can say 8-10' seems too shallow and 20-23' seems too deep. Or I'm missing something.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1362 on: Feb 02, 2021, 01:20 PM »
Not as easy as you would think with the stocking program at Saratoga. Still waiting for my first hardwater walleye there. Have fished both north and south this season unsuccessfully

Offline jflood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1363 on: Feb 02, 2021, 02:10 PM »
I've been out 6 times at night and the walleye bite is remarkably slower this year. Not sure why.  ??? We had much success last seaso. This year not so much.

Offline Stka

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1364 on: Feb 02, 2021, 02:36 PM »
I would be setting up now if it weren't for the 15mph gusting to 25mph wind forecasted. Been about 3mph here for the last few hours.
I loath meteorologists. I would honestly be better off without seeing a forecast. I need to start to only look at the radar.

Offline Ford317

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1365 on: Feb 02, 2021, 03:16 PM »
I would be setting up now if it weren't for the 15mph gusting to 25mph wind forecasted. Been about 3mph here for the last few hours.
I loath meteorologists. I would honestly be better off without seeing a forecast. I need to start to only look at the radar.

I agree I’ve given up almost entirely basing any decisions on what they forecast. I just use a radar app for precipitation. I got burned this past weekend they forecast 1mph winds and they’re were 10-15mph maybe more. The misses was not happy

Offline xxxbeer247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1366 on: Feb 03, 2021, 06:58 PM »
Anybody running wheelers up and down the middle of the lake? Also does browns accommodate trailer parking or is it frowned on by the town?

Offline Stka

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1367 on: Feb 03, 2021, 08:53 PM »
Anybody running wheelers up and down the middle of the lake? Also does browns accommodate trailer parking or is it frowned on by the town?

I've been running my snowmobile up the lake from brown's. Doesn't seem to be any issue ar long as people park trailers decently.

Offline jflood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1368 on: Feb 04, 2021, 06:21 AM »
I saw a ATV on the south end last weekend.  I also had lots of snowmobile traffic too. We had about 8 inchs of black ice where I was. That said we all know they lake has springs and the ice doesnt form the same everywhere on the lake. Ba safe and good luck.

Offline AugerMy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1369 on: Feb 04, 2021, 06:41 PM »
Not as easy as you would think with the stocking program at Saratoga. Still waiting for my first hardwater walleye there. Have fished both north and south this season unsuccessfully

Man I practically pooped out a walleye last week

Offline S.Crawford

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1370 on: Feb 04, 2021, 08:22 PM »
Are there Lakers in Saratoga? Looks like it’s up to 90’ deep.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1371 on: Feb 04, 2021, 08:44 PM »
Are there Lakers in Saratoga? Looks like it’s up to 90’ deep.

Lol
No

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1372 on: Feb 05, 2021, 06:42 AM »
We actually found a dead laker at the state boat launch this fall during hunting season. Yes I know there are no lakers in toga.
 I bet someone had it in their live well from dif body of water and tossed it at the launch. When we went to put boat on trailer im like is that a laker? 100% was.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1373 on: Feb 05, 2021, 07:50 AM »
We actually found a dead laker at the state boat launch this fall during hunting season. Yes I know there are no lakers in toga.
 I bet someone had it in their live well from dif body of water and tossed it at the launch. When we went to put boat on trailer im like is that a laker? 100% was.

I believe it. People do all kinds of things.

10 years ago I found 2 dead walleye right after ice out in round lake. Thing is, the walleye were giants. One was 29” and the other was 31”. I saw them dead, floating in the marsh and I went to lip one because I thought it was a huge dead bass and instantly felt the teeth. Picked it up and put it in the boat.. huge walleye. I measured it. I looked around and literally 10 yards away was the other 31” one... I grew up there and have been fishing that lake constantly for 30 years. There are no walleye in there... I can only assume someone dumped them in from a attempt from the Mohawk River and they managed to live a few years and grow... just like what they did with smallies there... or they were some of the last survivors from the ballston lake stocking back in the early 90’s and happened to make it down ballston creek into round. Regardless, very odd. I took pictures of them but can’t remember where they are. They might even be on my old MySpace lol

Offline Adkslabslayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1374 on: Feb 05, 2021, 07:59 AM »
Hi I was wondering if anyone had any recent ice conditions for the south end of the lake by stony point area any info would be greatly appreciated

Offline Stka

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1375 on: Feb 05, 2021, 09:27 AM »
Hi I was wondering if anyone had any recent ice conditions for the south end of the lake by stony point area any info would be greatly appreciated

I was last out two days ago, 8" ice on the south half of the lake where I've checked. Maybe around 4" of average snow cover.

Offline Ford317

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1376 on: Feb 07, 2021, 08:12 PM »
Saw a ton of people out on the lake this weekend. Anyone have any luck??

Offline Stka

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1377 on: Feb 07, 2021, 09:43 PM »
Saw a ton of people out on the lake this weekend. Anyone have any luck??

Not me, out both days no walleyes for us. I can catch them in open water, but still playing where's waldo on ice.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1378 on: Feb 08, 2021, 07:22 AM »
Not me, out both days no walleyes for us. I can catch them in open water, but still playing where's waldo on ice.

Same experience for me yesterday. Moved quite a bit looking for Walleye the Walleye. Can’t figure that place out.

Did manage a few jumbo perch for the fry pan. Ice was never less than 7”, unofficially measured with my skimmer

Offline Ford317

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1379 on: Feb 08, 2021, 07:58 AM »
Sounds like me as well. In search of walleye all weekend.

I managed a few jumbo perch as well.

Maybe next weekend 👍

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.