New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SARATOGA LAKE BS THREAD  (Read 223577 times)

Offline fishyfishes

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: SARATOGA LAKE BS THREAD
« Reply #570 on: Jan 13, 2017, 12:46 PM »
 I'm not saying they don't, i have just not seen it anywhere else. Come ice out I'm on the water quite a bit. It's just weird.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #571 on: Jan 13, 2017, 12:56 PM »
I have seen pike and tiger muskies swimming with their heads out of the water on many bodies of water. One primary reason I have been told on why they do it, is after a big meal they flush their gills out. The other reason I have heard is to gather more oxygen in oxygen deprived waters. I have seen it many times with giant pike and tiger muskies on round lake in the dead heat of the summer when the water is 79-80*+

Abiut 5 years ago I took a video of a tiger Muskie on round well over 20lbs doing it. The thing had the biggest head I have ever seen...and it came by my boat several times. It's almost like they are in a zone when they are doing it, and can't be spooked. I have no idea where the video went, but it was a very impressive fish.

Offline fishyfishes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #572 on: Jan 13, 2017, 01:02 PM »
 Zombies   :wacko:

or just plain hypnotized. 

Offline Northeastangler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #573 on: Jan 13, 2017, 03:31 PM »
smokin same thing here, I've seen a few doing this on round during the summer months. 2 or 3 years ago one popped up between myself and a buddy on kayaks and didn't spook at all, it was pretty strange and cool to see up close.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #574 on: Jan 13, 2017, 04:18 PM »
smokin same thing here, I've seen a few doing this on round during the summer months. 2 or 3 years ago one popped up between myself and a buddy on kayaks and didn't spook at all, it was pretty strange and cool to see up close.

Yup. It seems it's only the big ones too! The ones that are 38"+

Offline IceNeck9292

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #575 on: Jan 13, 2017, 06:58 PM »
Anyone been out today what's it like out there
Cacth them by day, fillet them by night.

Offline delay18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #576 on: Jan 13, 2017, 07:06 PM »
Fitch Rd access still good? Little nervous with this warm up
Rob

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #577 on: Jan 13, 2017, 08:04 PM »
basshunter you should rethink your statements , netting that pike is actually illegal  ...I'm 100% sure you ment to say you netted him  "AFTER" he hit  on a plug!!!!

Offline Ziehnertfish007

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #578 on: Jan 13, 2017, 10:59 PM »
Yeah ice is still good off of Fitch road. Anywhere from 4-6 inches of ice

Offline delay18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #579 on: Jan 14, 2017, 04:15 AM »
Yeah ice is still good off of Fitch road. Anywhere from 4-6 inches of ice

Thank you!!
Rob

Offline basshunter12748

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #580 on: Jan 14, 2017, 04:42 AM »
Yep that's what I meant.
basshunter you should rethink your statements , netting that pike is actually illegal  ...I'm 100% sure you ment to say you netted him  "AFTER" he hit  on a plug!!!!

Offline iceangler442

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got ice?
« Reply #581 on: Jan 14, 2017, 02:50 PM »
Slow day out on browns beach but 6" everywhere we went. I noticed that the shoreline was a little thin from the rain but the lake was making ice today. If anyone was out there today they felt the whole ice shift and then a loud bang I couldn't have been the only one lol.

Offline basshunter12748

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #582 on: Jan 14, 2017, 06:22 PM »
Yep early this morning right?  I thought my buddies were messing with me shaking the shanty until I saw the waves in the hole...that'll get you hear going lol

Slow day out on browns beach but 6" everywhere we went. I noticed that the shoreline was a little thin from the rain but the lake was making ice today. If anyone was out there today they felt the whole ice shift and then a loud bang I couldn't have been the only one lol.

Offline RedneckofLatham

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #583 on: Jan 15, 2017, 11:43 AM »
Same thing happened this morning ice cracked and jumped 3" echoed for ever crazy morning looks like the ice pushed up by browns it wasent like that when i went on this morning

Offline Bigriverbob

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #584 on: Jan 16, 2017, 12:32 PM »
Was thinking of going out on Wednesday how is fitch road doing?

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #585 on: Jan 16, 2017, 12:38 PM »
Tons of vehicles parked along 9P and Fitch Road yesterday.  Some on 9P were sticking out into the traffic lane - someone's going to get a ticket.

Offline xxxbeer247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #586 on: Jan 16, 2017, 06:43 PM »
Lots of guys out today but the ice definitely doesn't look that great.  I even saw an area that had open water across from snake hill. I wouldn't trust a wheeler out there quite yet. I don't want 2 feet of ice but it's always an Odd feeling being out there with under 6 inches of clear toga ice

Offline iceangler442

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got ice?
« Reply #587 on: Jan 17, 2017, 10:39 AM »
Clear ice is the best ice, but I would have to say Saratoga is pretty safe we had 6 inches a couple days ago everywhere we went and we've had nothing but cold temps since then. The open water you saw may have been some melted water laying across the top but I could be wrong.

Offline Lundpredator

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #588 on: Jan 17, 2017, 11:37 AM »
I went off Fitch yesterday morning.  Ice was anywhere from 6" to 8" depending of where you were.  Huge pressure crack a couple hundred yards out with a thin layer of ice then water then thick ice below it.  If your fishing right in the weeds you likely wont have to cross it I was going to deeper water.  I used spud to get around safely be careful around it.  Really nice day out but fishing was pretty slow compared to the usual. 

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
« Reply #589 on: Jan 18, 2017, 01:54 AM »
6-8" of nice clear ice of the north end of the lake heading into fish creek. After a slow day on MLK, the action was hot before the weather rolled in.

Offline Bigriverbob

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #590 on: Jan 18, 2017, 11:34 AM »
How is fitch looking for Friday and any how is the gill fishing

Offline chessieman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #591 on: Jan 18, 2017, 12:04 PM »
Fitch was fine this morning, a little slop over 8" of ice - there is a fairly large pressure ridge forming about 1/2 mile, so be careful if you go that  far - fishing was better than the weekend, but I had to weed through a lot of small sunnies to get a dozen keepers.

Should be OK for Friday, but if you plan to fish the weekend, you better get a reservation - last Sat. was a zoo!

Offline bigfish1212

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #592 on: Jan 18, 2017, 01:06 PM »
The pickerel bite sure was hot today >:( I ran out of bait and broke the tip on my favorite perch rod not a good day for me.

Offline fishjerk47

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #593 on: Jan 19, 2017, 11:10 AM »
I need ice conditions on Saratoga Lake at Brown's Beach. Thank you for any help.

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #594 on: Jan 19, 2017, 11:25 AM »
I need ice conditions on Saratoga Lake at Brown's Beach. Thank you for any help.
Few inches of water on the ice in spots. Ice is holding up for now but is getting weaker. Still 7-8" of ice but ice now getting foggy. More puddles closer to shore.  Wear higher boots and be prepared to dry ice shanty after being out there. Can do good around the weeds. If sun stays away the ice will hold but if it gets sumny and warm it will make quick work of ice. Reminds me of last ice right now.

Offline fishjerk47

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #595 on: Jan 19, 2017, 12:25 PM »
I guess I should pass. Thank you

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #596 on: Jan 19, 2017, 12:51 PM »
I guess I should pass. Thank you
Im sure most lakes have puddles on them at this point. Luckily it was real good ice made on toga when it froze. Gonna take a bit to melt it to point of not safe.  Definitely wont be making ice for next week but should hold if the sun stays away. Ice went from crystal clear to now bluish color. When the puddles disappear then it will be sketchy. Could hear it popping and crackling but still Plenty good ice still. Always use your own judgment .

Offline Bigriverbob

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #597 on: Jan 19, 2017, 12:58 PM »
How are conditions looking for fitch tomorrow morning safe or not

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #598 on: Jan 19, 2017, 01:00 PM »

definitely not as safe as walking on pavement, but probably safer than trying to swim.  probably 5/7.

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #599 on: Jan 19, 2017, 01:02 PM »
Look up 2 post. I just gave condition of lake....twice. lol
Let me clarify..conditons were for south end and off fitch. Im sure it can vary near currents and run off in other parts of lake

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.