New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SARATOGA LAKE BS THREAD  (Read 223566 times)

Offline NatefishNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: SARATOGA LAKE BS THREAD
« Reply #540 on: Jan 07, 2017, 08:16 PM »
Thanks for the bait bluegillbasher
            P.E.T.A. = People Eating Tasty Animals

Offline bluegillbasher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #541 on: Jan 07, 2017, 08:43 PM »
Thanks for the bait bluegillbasher
Your welcome and thanks for stopping in,glad to hear you got into a few out there!

Offline fishyfishes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #542 on: Jan 07, 2017, 09:25 PM »
We got into a mess of eyes tonight, 3 were dinks like 12-14 inchers, ended up keeping 4 all around 20 inches
Sweet!

Offline iceangler442

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got ice?
« Reply #543 on: Jan 09, 2017, 07:10 AM »
I didn't get a chance to post this pic Saturday but my dad got into some nice size perch. We also had about 10 pickerel but unfortunately no eyes. I also went out last night and did okay. I was marking 7 inches everywhere I went. I'm sure after last nights temps we have gained some ice. Hopefully the ice can hold up this week to some warmer weather and rain in the forecast.

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
« Reply #544 on: Jan 09, 2017, 07:13 AM »
that is a NICE one,and a great photo thanks for sharing
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #545 on: Jan 09, 2017, 07:34 AM »
That's a pig! Nice one

Offline iceman260

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #546 on: Jan 09, 2017, 08:51 AM »
Nice perch wouldn't mind a limit of them.
If fishing is a sport are we considered athletes?

Offline Adkslabslayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #547 on: Jan 09, 2017, 02:21 PM »
That's a beauty

Offline iceangler442

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got ice?
« Reply #548 on: Jan 11, 2017, 06:48 PM »
How did everyone do out there today? I saw quite a few guys out!

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
« Reply #549 on: Jan 11, 2017, 08:10 PM »
Hows the pike fishing in saratoga?

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline Wahlers07

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #550 on: Jan 12, 2017, 02:28 AM »
Nice fat perch there!

Offline gitthegaff

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Fish on"
« Reply #551 on: Jan 12, 2017, 05:29 AM »
That's a Great Perch! Has anyone had 4 wheelers out there yet?
Paul

Offline NatefishNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #552 on: Jan 12, 2017, 07:15 AM »

The pike fishing isn't what it used to be for various reasons but they're still in there. I heard a rumor someone caught a 41 incher last week but I can't confirm that. Personally I wouldn't target them, I'd target eyes and maybe you get lucky.
            P.E.T.A. = People Eating Tasty Animals

Offline xxxbeer247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #553 on: Jan 12, 2017, 09:01 AM »
How's everything holding up after this rain/warm up???

Offline thebigwiggle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Love IceFishing for SMELT,PERCH,BLUEGILLS,CRAPPIE,
« Reply #554 on: Jan 12, 2017, 09:01 AM »
Hey Guys
Just wondering how the Fishing on Saratoga lake been? How is the Big Blue Gill bite. I heard that walleyes are biting over by Williams beach. I have not fished the lake Enough to know where Williams Beach is? Can some one point me in the Direction of that beach? How do I get to that part of the Lake? If you like to PM then that would be great. I hoping to be down there this Saturday to try my luck. Thanks for the info. Tight lines to all.
I do all types of fishing; but I am Die hard Ice angler.
I love Ice Fishing the lakes of Rutland County. Recently moved to NY and now will be Ice fishing the Lakes Of New York.

Offline Adkslabslayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #555 on: Jan 12, 2017, 12:43 PM »
Anyone make it out today any reports are greatly appreciated

Offline Lundpredator

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #556 on: Jan 12, 2017, 02:45 PM »
Fished yesterday ice was fine probably around 7" at fitch road.  A lot of water on ice must be way more now.  Bite was slowest it's every been for me I only caught 2 small pumpkin seed and a perch in 4 hours. 

Offline jigshimmer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #557 on: Jan 12, 2017, 04:08 PM »
Hey Guys
Just wondering how the Fishing on Saratoga lake been? How is the Big Blue Gill bite. I heard that walleyes are biting over by Williams beach. I have not fished the lake Enough to know where Williams Beach is? Can some one point me in the Direction of that beach? How do I get to that part of the Lake? If you like to PM then that would be great. I hoping to be down there this Saturday to try my luck. Thanks for the info. Tight lines to all.
Williams beach is that top secret spot nice drop off just outside beach which holds the  big walters. 5# plus. Good luck getting someone to divulge that secret spot.

Offline thebigwiggle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Love IceFishing for SMELT,PERCH,BLUEGILLS,CRAPPIE,
« Reply #558 on: Jan 12, 2017, 10:22 PM »
Williams beach is that top secret spot nice drop off just outside beach which holds the  big walters. 5# plus. Good luck getting someone to divulge that secret spot.

Well; I do not fish allot around here. So I was curious that all. Don't want anybody secret spot. I will probably chase the blue gills and perch around anyways.
I do all types of fishing; but I am Die hard Ice angler.
I love Ice Fishing the lakes of Rutland County. Recently moved to NY and now will be Ice fishing the Lakes Of New York.

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
« Reply #559 on: Jan 13, 2017, 01:27 AM »

Pike fishing is alright in Saratoga, although i'm not specifically targeting them when I'm on the water. My buddy landed a 36" northern this spring and I missed the net on a 40" late in the fall so they are definitely still in there.  If you're interested in pike specifically, id suggest going over to Lake Lonely. There is a higher population in there than in Saratoga. 

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
« Reply #560 on: Jan 13, 2017, 07:32 AM »
Pike fishing is alright in Saratoga, although i'm not specifically targeting them when I'm on the water. My buddy landed a 36" northern this spring and I missed the net on a 40" late in the fall so they are definitely still in there.  If you're interested in pike specifically, id suggest going over to Lake Lonely. There is a higher population in there than in Saratoga. 
The pike fishing isn't what it used to be for various reasons but they're still in there. I heard a rumor someone caught a 41 incher last week but I can't confirm that. Personally I wouldn't target them, I'd target eyes and maybe you get lucky.

Thanks. My first time fishing in the area up here for work.... I don't plan on targeting pike with the perch and eyes in Toga but my cousin in coming up in feb. so trying to get an idea of how the fishing is in certain lakes

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline basshunter12748

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #561 on: Jan 13, 2017, 08:23 AM »
I lived by the lake for 5 years. I never targeted pike but have spent countless hrs ice fishing and bass fishing open water.  I have caught about 5 pike total.

Here is a pike we pulled out of the lake a few years ago. We spotted it from a boat swimming with its head out of water.  Very bizzare site.  Clearly the fish was very sick and near death and we were able to net it.  It weight about 9.5 lbs on digital scale.  Should have been much more but it was extremely skinny.  Twice also during bass tournaments I have hooked into pike of this caliber but I was able to shake them off boat side.  So not saying there not in there but.... goood luck haha few and far between

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #562 on: Jan 13, 2017, 08:56 AM »
Pike swim with their heads out of the water occasionally.   I have seen this in many places, Champlain, Saratoga, Mohawk, Hudson.   

Saratoga has plenty of pike.  Big ones too.  Set up your tipups on some cabbage or a well defined weedline point, and you will catch.   

Offline basshunter12748

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #563 on: Jan 13, 2017, 10:25 AM »
Pike swim with their heads out of the water occasionally.   I have seen this in many places, Champlain, Saratoga, Mohawk, Hudson.   

Saratoga has plenty of pike.  Big ones too.  Set up your tipups on some cabbage or a well defined weedline point, and you will catch.

Interesting behavior.  Something was wrong with this fish though it was barely able to swim and we pretty easily scooped it out of the water

Offline combsey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • take a friend fishing
« Reply #564 on: Jan 13, 2017, 10:31 AM »
There are still.some big pike in Toga.      Personally seen a 40 released last winter.      We caught 8 that day with 5of them over 36
proud supporter of P. E. T. A.
(People Eating Tasty Animals)

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #565 on: Jan 13, 2017, 10:33 AM »
Interesting behavior.  Something was wrong with this fish though it was barely able to swim and we pretty easily scooped it out of the water

I do see that, the fish looks quite sickly in that pic.

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #566 on: Jan 13, 2017, 10:49 AM »
I've seen a couple walleyes out of Saratoga that have that extremely long, skinny, big head look.  I think that's the end stage for a big fish, they decline and turn into distinct non-trophies.  I trout fished in New Zealand years and years ago and down there the fish do die of old age.  The long skinny, big headed fish were called "slabs" and were scorned.  A lot of the tournaments down there graded the fish on their condition, taking weight and length into account.  I heard of 20" browns that weighed 7# and saw a number of "football" fish when I was there.

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #567 on: Jan 13, 2017, 10:55 AM »

There used to be a pair of fishing buddies (Leo and ?, from Troy and Guilderland) who fished late fall off the launch ramp, with big golden shiners on a bottom rig.  This was in the early 1980's.  They didn't catch a whole lot of fish, but a number of fish over 40" every year.  They would fish until the lake iced up.  They set up on either corner of the pier and cast out at an angle avoiding the bridge piers on the bottom between the launch ramp and the remains of the old bridge across the way.  I lived near there at the time and would watch and chat with them when I walked my dog.

Offline Chowdaire

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #568 on: Jan 13, 2017, 11:51 AM »
I've seen a couple pike swim with their heads out of the water. I always figured they were trying to swallow something big because the first time I saw one on Delta doing it, it was the biggest pike I've ever seen and it was swimming slowly with it's head up and what looked like a walleye's tail sticking out of it's mouth. Judging by the tail the 'eye would have been pretty big. Every time we got close to the pike it'd slowly sink down and then come up somewhere 50' away again.

Pretty cool to see.

Offline fishyfishes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #569 on: Jan 13, 2017, 12:44 PM »
I have seen that numerous times on toga and everyone looked just like that, sick. They never spooked or nothing. It was always like late spring. I have never seen this at anywhere else. This action, is it effected from the spawn?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.