New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SARATOGA LAKE BS THREAD  (Read 223572 times)

Offline xxxbeer247

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: SARATOGA LAKE BS THREAD
« Reply #480 on: Feb 28, 2015, 03:50 PM »
Walked out from Browns beach today. It wasn't bad walking in the packed snowmobile path. Saw one quad go out towards snake hill with no problems. Fishing was slow. perch on the Aqua vu basically laying on the bottom and not coming up at all. Did end up with two jumbos a bass and two pickerel. Ice was over 20inches thick so looks like another month of hardwater fishing is ahead of us.

Offline ThisGuy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #481 on: Feb 28, 2015, 06:25 PM »
Did good on the crappie spot, ice4life! Me and one buddy went home with 15 Plus a bonus bullhead. Not on toga fyi. Sucks a lot of seasons are gona close while we have so much ice to still fish. 2 more weeks for the predator fish. Gona be a great late season for panfish though, I'll bet.
This house is protected by the good Lord and a gun

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #482 on: Mar 01, 2015, 12:26 PM »
Walk off fitch isn't bad at all. Someone plowed a path and snow is packed in spots. Quite a few trucks out. Finally got some big perch but not a lot of them. Few nice gils. Fish are sticking to the bottom it seems. Weren't very aggressive.  I guess late afternoon has been more productive.
 I'm done fishing for a week. Off to Missouri for snow geese.

Offline redneckman1991

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #483 on: Mar 01, 2015, 02:04 PM »
Any reports on northerns or walleyes? A few friends and my self want to come up this upcoming weekend, we have never been there before and would love to get on some bigger fish. We can catch perch down here in schoharie county! Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks and happy fishing to all! ;D

Offline Dr. Honk

• IceShanty Rookie
  • NEED ICE
« Reply #484 on: Mar 01, 2015, 02:20 PM »
Walk off fitch isn't bad at all. Someone plowed a path and snow is packed in spots. Quite a few trucks out. Finally got some big perch but not a lot of them. Few nice gils. Fish are sticking to the bottom it seems. Weren't very aggressive.  I guess late afternoon has been more productive.
 I'm done fishing for a week. Off to Missouri for snow geese.

Good luck on your hunt. Send me some pics.

Offline ejp419

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #485 on: Mar 01, 2015, 10:26 PM »
Was this a spring or gas hole? I know guys been driving all over for weeks.... http://wnyt.com/article/stories/S3721157.shtml?cat=300

Offline ThisGuy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #486 on: Mar 02, 2015, 08:39 AM »
Just heard about the sled going in this morning. Does anyone know where? That's why there are parts of the lake you shouldn't go on with machines. The west shore is notorious for spring holes. Maybe there should be more public warning. Good thing no one was hurt.

Offline tonebea

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #487 on: Mar 02, 2015, 08:59 AM »
The sled went through somewhere near fish creek. Not only do you have some current there, you have to think about the salt from the bridge over  the creek, which can be spread by sleds and 4-wheelers, and melt the ice.

Offline Dr. Honk

• IceShanty Rookie
  • NEED ICE
« Reply #488 on: Mar 02, 2015, 02:10 PM »
I don't think salt from the bridge is going to make a big impression on 15 inches of ice.

There are bubblers (ice eaters) around the docks in Fish Creek. It looks solid on the surface now but there is not much ice thickness under the snow in those areas.

Those areas should be avoided at all times.

Offline NatefishNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #489 on: Mar 02, 2015, 07:07 PM »
Headed out in the morning to jig, I will post how the conditions and bite are... Going out on south end
            P.E.T.A. = People Eating Tasty Animals

Offline aj454

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #490 on: Mar 03, 2015, 09:38 AM »
I got a call yesterday morning asking who to call for a stuck jeep out on the lake. Turns out my wife works with the kids mother. She said the fire dept. tried to put those air bags under it I guess to raise it so they could pull it but it was a no go. Still stuck as far as I know. you guys see it out there or know of it??

Offline ThisGuy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #491 on: Mar 03, 2015, 02:48 PM »
Hope you guys do better this evening than we did this morning. Few perch, one smallie, and a clean cut on Nates line. You know the saying though.... Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught!

Offline NatefishNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #492 on: Mar 03, 2015, 03:49 PM »
Hope you guys do better this evening than we did this morning. Few perch, one smallie, and a clean cut on Nates line. You know the saying though.... Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught!

The only pleasant surprise was the fairly easy walk, dinks everywhere we went and that clean cut was a 20lb walleye, I know it... lol.

Didn't see any stuck vehicles AJ, was it north or south end?

Offline basshunter12748

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #493 on: Mar 03, 2015, 06:31 PM »
Going to try the north end tommorrow evening.  Maybe things are starting to pick up over there.

Offline xxxbeer247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #494 on: Mar 06, 2015, 10:54 AM »
How's the walk out ? Snow packed down or getting loose and slushy? Thanks

Offline NatefishNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #495 on: Mar 06, 2015, 12:17 PM »
I was out on the south end on Tuesday, the walk wasn't bad at all, we walked to snakehill and back no problem

Offline basshunter12748

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #496 on: Mar 06, 2015, 12:29 PM »
Couple inches of loose snow on top of frozen slush crust off fitch.   Walk wasn't too bad but we were really huffing and puffing after dragging all the way to the drop off

Offline jdog42

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #497 on: Mar 07, 2015, 05:00 PM »
Hows the bite been has it picked up ? Looking to head out on the southend this week after work

Offline xxxbeer247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #498 on: Mar 08, 2015, 02:40 PM »
Fished south end this morning action was very slow. Witnessed a cabin start on fire and burn for a good 20 minutes somewhere near the marina. There must have been some ammo inside because at one point it all blew up and sounded like a war going on. Pretty freaky I hope no one was inside or injured. Luckily the fire department showed up.

On a side note I have been struggling to locate good schools of bluegills this season. Last year I was slamming them in 7-9 fow. This year same spots and nothing. Anyone experiencing this or are they much deeper this year due to 2 feet of ice and a lack of oxygen? Tons of pickerel too which is also a disappointing sight as I haven't seen a northern pulled out in years.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #499 on: Mar 08, 2015, 02:44 PM »
It sounds like they burned the shanty on purpose. They had to be off the lake by the 15th and with all the snow and slush, not many people can get them off so they burn them.

Offline perchinmybucket

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #500 on: Mar 10, 2015, 06:31 AM »
Sweet. Burning shanties and polluting more water. That lake can't afford more crap in the water! Some people are just brain dead.

Offline slabcommander

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #501 on: Mar 10, 2015, 10:58 AM »
Ya I don't know how they are gonna get some of em off way out. Was out yesterday pretty messy out there. Plus fished a good walleye spot 5-8pm not exactly where I wanted to be but usually get one or two there this time of year. Ended up with 5 rock bass, 5 pickeral one small northern....disappoint ing. Could not bear to walk out to where I wanted to though.

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #502 on: Mar 15, 2015, 03:32 PM »
Well, someone got his vehicle stuck in the ice yesterday (according to Times Union).  I suspect he broke through the surface crust;  he had to be "rescued" by the airboat late at night.  Local officials have declared that the ice is no longer safe and we should all quit now so we don't drown.

I was out on Fish creek this morning, and while the ice was a little thinner than last time I fished there there is plenty.  There is about 4" of so-so ice, then an inch of slush, then maybe 10" more of good ice.  Muskrats have opened several holes and were out on the ice eating weeds.  Walking was good, the surface actually requires creepers.  I spend a couple hours watching an eagle on the ice but it turned into a cardboard box when I got closer.  (I have seen an eagle down there earlier in the season).

I wish I could give a good report regarding fish, but I never found any concentrations.  Caught a few dink perch, a couple gills, a few seeds, a couple snot rockets, a bass, and something broke my 3# test line and made off with a nice tunsten jig. 

Offline slabcommander

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #503 on: Mar 26, 2015, 01:43 PM »
why is everyone so quiet???? What's popping on toga anyone been getting gills/crappie?

Offline rpdfishes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #504 on: Mar 26, 2015, 04:15 PM »
it's over

Offline chessieman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #505 on: Mar 26, 2015, 04:27 PM »
Not over yet, limited yesterday afternoon 5-7PM and this morning 8-11 in the fog - their still biting - all gills no crappies

Offline rpdfishes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #506 on: Mar 26, 2015, 04:35 PM »
this rain aint good

Offline NatefishNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #507 on: Mar 28, 2015, 09:34 PM »

The crappie are there and plentiful if you know where to look, the temps this coming week will put a hurting on the ice tho

Offline xxxbeer247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #508 on: Mar 29, 2015, 09:40 AM »
What fow for the crappie this time of year Nate?

Offline NatefishNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #509 on: Mar 29, 2015, 10:42 AM »
The crappie are moving into their pre-spawn areas this time of year, that means shallow... 3-6 fow is where I got these

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.