New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SARATOGA LAKE BS THREAD  (Read 223573 times)

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: SARATOGA LAKE BS THREAD
« Reply #420 on: Feb 02, 2015, 11:56 AM »
I have been fishing Saratoga for quite a while now and I have found that my "hot spots" do not have the vegetation growth that they used to.
 Have they treated the lake lately?

They haven't treated the lake for a few years. Weed growth was down this year in most lakes due to the winter we had last year, followed by low water levels etc...

Offline RussW

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Aaaaaa!
« Reply #421 on: Feb 02, 2015, 01:58 PM »
Hey did anyone find a hand auger my buddy left in parking lot at browns beach.  If you did I can give description and meet you to pick up.  It was saturday 1/31. PM me if you know anything. No questions asked!!!  Thank you. 
Give a man a fish, you feed him for a day... Teach a man to fish, you feed him for a lifetime!  

Who needs a boat when you can walk on water!!

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #422 on: Feb 03, 2015, 08:26 AM »
One very hardy (foolhardy?) diehard dragging his jet sled out from Brown's Beach this morning.  15" of fresh snow, -5F currently.  I wish I had that much determination.

Offline NatefishNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #423 on: Feb 03, 2015, 08:04 PM »
One very hardy (foolhardy?) diehard dragging his jet sled out from Brown's Beach this morning.  15" of fresh snow, -5F currently.  I wish I had that much determination.

That was my buddy, I met up with him this afternoon and helped drag it back, that was fun!! It couldn't have been done without a smitty sled
            P.E.T.A. = People Eating Tasty Animals

Offline NatefishNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #424 on: Feb 03, 2015, 08:06 PM »
It was no short drag either, he was about a mile out... He's an animal!

Offline fishyfishes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #425 on: Feb 03, 2015, 08:17 PM »
A regular customer at work, that lives on the lake, said he sat there and watched him with his binos for a minute. He said couldn't believe it and gave him credit.

Offline NatefishNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #426 on: Feb 03, 2015, 08:39 PM »
The jet sled was full too, including a 6 man hub style shanty

Offline Fish-N-Adventures

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish on!
« Reply #427 on: Feb 03, 2015, 11:24 PM »
I was wondering if a fellow fisherman with a plow went down on the ice at fitch road and plowed out a parking lot for trucks????

Just wondering if I can still get down on the ice at fitch?

Or do I need to pack a snowblower.  :P

Offline phil2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #428 on: Feb 04, 2015, 07:21 AM »
Natefish was there any slush yet?

Offline NatefishNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #429 on: Feb 04, 2015, 08:38 AM »
Natefish was there any slush yet?

No slush, anyone from 6-12+ inches of snow depending on the drifts, there's a few snow mobile trails down by browns beach which give a little relief in the drag but venturing off of those and your legs really feel it!

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #430 on: Feb 04, 2015, 04:26 PM »
We fished south end this morning.  A number of holes the water came out a half inch to an inch above the ice, but before drilling there was no slush. 

Offline walleyeman58

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #431 on: Feb 06, 2015, 05:35 PM »
Headed out for 'eyes tomorrow on Saratoga

Offline ejp419

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #432 on: Feb 07, 2015, 06:50 PM »
The good news is you can drive all over the lake. The bad news is 3 of us fished all day, from Fitch to Snake Hill, and the only fish caught were about 20 4-6 inch perch. Saratoga has never been good to me. I hear about walleyes in there but I'll be damn if I can ever find one.....

Offline Pickeralpicker91

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #433 on: Feb 07, 2015, 07:44 PM »
The good news is you can drive all over the lake. The bad news is 3 of us fished all day, from Fitch to Snake Hill, and the only fish caught were about 20 4-6 inch perch. Saratoga has never been good to me. I hear about walleyes in there but I'll be damn if I can ever find one.....

It's been slow lately.  Don't give up yet. Go  back and try it again at late ice. 

Also, I'd just like to thank the guy who plowed off the parking area at fitch road.  If you see this thank you for helping all of us out.  I hope you catch lots of nice fish this winter for your efforts.

Offline basshunter12748

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #434 on: Feb 08, 2015, 08:46 PM »
was anyone at the browns beach derby today.  Any results?

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #435 on: Feb 09, 2015, 07:51 AM »

Its not just you.  Other than first ice, there is a small select few spots that are productive if you use tipups :sick:...otherwise they are difficult to convince to bite.    Also not nearly as many walleyes in the lake as there was 5-10 years ago.

I put A LOT of effort into jigging them last year, especially the second half of the season, and they just don't bite in any of the areas I used to catch them.   Marked plenty of the vex, but convincing them to bite is another story.   Even fished next to a group the last two evenings of the season in March, they were plugging away at them with tipups, but they wouldn't hit my or any of my other handful of friends' jigging lures.   Only one I caught through the ice was by accident while mid-day jigging smallmouth and perch.

Offline gauglerb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #436 on: Feb 09, 2015, 10:59 AM »

Hats off to that guy.  We walked about 0.65mi on Lake George but luckily the wind blew most everything off but 4-6" and the ATVs packed it down nice.  I might throw in the towel this weekend with all the snow we have now plus the subzero temperatures.

Offline Damonspeeds

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #437 on: Feb 09, 2015, 10:40 PM »
Took 2nd in the derby with a 12 inch perch...winner had a 12 1/4....one small pickerel. We weighed in at 3 40 so there may have been more at the end. The perch we caught were huge all day 10 inches plus and fat boys

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #438 on: Feb 10, 2015, 04:22 AM »
Does anybody remember getting bait in Malta?  The shop was between the state police barracks and what is now the Getty Station.  The guy had a bad eye.  This goes back to the late 60's early 70's.

Offline rondog

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hudson River Salmon
« Reply #439 on: Feb 10, 2015, 05:20 AM »
I remember him,we tried not to stop there if possible He was a real pain in the ass.He had a real small building that he sold bait and old cars from

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #440 on: Feb 10, 2015, 08:19 AM »
Does anybody remember getting bait in Malta?  The shop was between the state police barracks and what is now the Getty Station.  The guy had a bad eye.  This goes back to the late 60's early 70's.

The only place I know of is a little south of Round Lake. He sells fire wood, stacked out by the road as well.

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #441 on: Feb 10, 2015, 08:21 AM »

The only place I know of is a little south of Round Lake. He sells fire wood, stacked out by the road as well.

Offline pruville

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #442 on: Feb 10, 2015, 01:22 PM »
Yeah,and he always had a cigar in his mouth,good bait it was always cold in there

Offline Icelife4

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Quit the b***hin and start fishin
« Reply #443 on: Feb 11, 2015, 05:50 AM »
Anyone have any info to how much slush is out there?

Offline bluegillbasher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #444 on: Feb 11, 2015, 07:34 PM »
Was out off fitch rd this afternoon,in close the slush wasn't bad-only in a few spots.The further out I went it got worse,ankle deep or better. The ice road that was plowed has drifted over some but still walkable,once you stray off that all bets are off between the snow and slush underneath. Drilled 7 jigging holes and in 3 hours had a small swimming pool forming around me. Bite was non existant for gills until after 4pm and then it was slow at best until dark. No wheeler or sled tracks out there in the fitch area at all.

Offline phil2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #445 on: Feb 12, 2015, 07:38 AM »
basher, hope the whole thing slushes up like last year so you can walk on top.

Offline ThisGuy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #446 on: Feb 14, 2015, 07:04 AM »
That's what I'm hoping for. I walked off of silver beach Wednesday. Only made it to 8 fow. Jiggled up 1 bass, had a few more lookers and called it quits. Tough going to say the least. Might venture out later today or tomorrow with the jig sticks. I know where I want to go. I just can't get there!
This house is protected by the good Lord and a gun

Offline StriperLund

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fisherman Who Hunts
« Reply #447 on: Feb 14, 2015, 01:02 PM »
Has anyone tried snowshoes? It's an obvious thing I have been doing well with them in Rensselaer County. Takes you 2x as far out no doubt. It's very difficult fishing tip ups with them on though. :tipup:
Ain't No Buddy Gots Time Fo' Dat!!!

Offline ThisGuy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #448 on: Feb 15, 2015, 02:16 PM »
We talked about using them while we were out there. Would have helped no doubt
This house is protected by the good Lord and a gun

Offline slabcommander

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #449 on: Feb 15, 2015, 07:19 PM »
The walleye are in here guys. The probs that exist are-you have to travel far to find productive areas especially after first ice, secondly the navionics map of this lake is so far off it's rediculous. There is a 90/10 rule on this lake and the ten don't do a lot of talkin'!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.