New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SARATOGA LAKE BS THREAD  (Read 223572 times)

Offline xxxbeer247

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: SARATOGA LAKE BS THREAD
« Reply #240 on: Mar 15, 2014, 04:30 PM »
Fished today from 7:30-2:30. Windy as hell after noon and the bite was fairly slow. Managed a half dozen gills and a crappie for the table. Lots of nice largemouth is a promising sign for late June. Word of caution..... Springs are opening up all over. There's over a foot and a had of ice but the springs will catch you by surprise if you aren't paying attention.

Offline Pickeralpicker91

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #241 on: Mar 15, 2014, 08:36 PM »
Fished for a few hours this evening and caught enough pickerel to last me until the opener in march.  Couldn't even get my five tip ups in the water without getting a flag and the first one hit when I still had the tip up in my hand.  Ran out of bait after an hour and tried to jig up some dink perch which didn't work quite as well.

Offline Dr. Honk

• IceShanty Rookie
  • NEED ICE
« Reply #242 on: Mar 18, 2014, 07:38 PM »
Fished late afternoon today just south of the bridge. Met a guy coming off the ice that said he was catching perch in that area. Marked a lot of fish did not get a bite in 4 hours. Drilled about 20 holes fished 10 different jigs. Fish would come off the bottom, hang around my jig, then sink back down. Must be they did not want spikes or meal worms today.
I have had enough of this crap. I'm done for this year.

Offline iceangler442

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got ice?
« Reply #243 on: Mar 19, 2014, 05:51 AM »
Im also done as well I think that all this unusual weather we had this year really threw things off...

Offline basshunter12748

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #244 on: Mar 19, 2014, 06:23 AM »
It ain't over untill its over... haha still lots of ice and lots of perch to catch...

Offline ThisGuy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #245 on: Mar 19, 2014, 07:22 AM »
I talked to a few guys that think it could be low oxygen levels that keep fish dormant. Makes sense in smaller lakes and ponds. Toga has enough moving water you would think. Still plenty of ice though. Late ice is usually good. WATCH OUT for spring holes, everyone. They are really opening up. Ice in surrounding areas is a lot thinner. By10 inches or so.
This house is protected by the good Lord and a gun

Offline rvz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #246 on: Mar 19, 2014, 07:32 AM »
I'll have to agree...the lake is screaming for oxygen!  It hasn't had a substantial inflow of water since January and it has been pretty much ice covered since December.  The fish are going to be sluggish.  It's just like mid-ice conditions when it should be late-ice, or even ice-out conditions.  Early season open water fishing should be interesting.  By the way...this is not the time of year to go "exploring" for new areas on 'Toga.  Unlike the fish...the springs are very hungry!

Offline slabcommander

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #247 on: Mar 19, 2014, 08:48 AM »
I went out got into some big gills yesterday. Look for areas in the shallows with the most clear ice (no snow or opaque ice) light will penetrate these spots best and weeds are starting new growth. That's where the late ice action is to be had as they will give off oxygen. The thicker the ice, the longer it takes for the sun to penetrate and the weeds to grow as they need light for photosynthesis. That's my 2 cents for the day lol

Offline Pickeralpicker91

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #248 on: Mar 19, 2014, 11:59 AM »
Fished late afternoon today just south of the bridge. Met a guy coming off the ice that said he was catching perch in that area. Marked a lot of fish did not get a bite in 4 hours. Drilled about 20 holes fished 10 different jigs. Fish would come off the bottom, hang around my jig, then sink back down. Must be they did not want spikes or meal worms today.
I have had enough of this crap. I'm done for this year.

I had the same thing happen but on the king.  It's slow everywhere it seems.  I'm not giving up on toga yet.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #249 on: Mar 19, 2014, 12:11 PM »
If low oxygen really is the issue, the fish will hang out just under the ice.  Ironically,  the last time we had late ice like this, we did really well jigging just a foot or two under the ice.

Offline Dr. Honk

• IceShanty Rookie
  • NEED ICE
« Reply #250 on: Mar 19, 2014, 12:37 PM »
I had the same thing happen but on the king.  It's slow everywhere it seems.  I'm not giving up on toga yet.

I'm leaving Friday to go turkey hunting in Georgia. Warm weather, no ice and doing what I love doing more than ice fishing. :)

I am going to do some soft water pan fishing when I'm not hunting.

Offline jigshimmer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #251 on: Mar 19, 2014, 01:30 PM »
If low oxygen really is the issue, the fish will hang out just under the ice.  Ironically,  the last time we had late ice like this, we did really well jigging just a foot or two under the ice.
Buddy got a bunch of gills yesterday in cabbage just under the ice.

Offline IceNeck9292

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #252 on: Mar 19, 2014, 11:15 PM »
Not to but in but.... low oxy has been the talk for years... theres still guys thst go out and do well every day.. the pan fish have started to turn on very well. The bigger perch are crusing bed lines and gills are sticking around too... its kot a matter of low oxy or weird weather patterns. If anyrhinf its to do with over population and aslo the fact that its not the same lake it was 13 yeara ago... toga has become the lake of few believers. Its aboit changong your tactics constently ... the larva isnt working any more  its changed stagees there not eating the same .. mud bugs are gone...  just because fish have changed to a new sourrce dosnet mean they dont eat every day...
Cacth them by day, fillet them by night.

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #253 on: Mar 20, 2014, 10:59 AM »
I gave it a try today.  Got into a few golden shiners, a rock bass, a bluegill, a number of sunnies, a couple bass, a pickerel, and one large perch (13")

The sunnies were pretty active in 15 FOW.  I found the perch only 3' deep over weeds, but couldn't find any of her friends.  Ice still plenty thick.  Wind came up about 10:30, but had to leave at 11 anyhow.  Encouraging - I think the best is yet to come.

Offline iceangler442

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got ice?
« Reply #254 on: Mar 20, 2014, 12:08 PM »
Thats exactly why I think its the weather that threw things off as it starts to warm up and with a more regular weather pattern I think the bite will be on pretty soon....As far as population..I dont really think that has anything to do with it I mean..If you compare saratoga to other lakes around here it really isnt fished the way it could be..Not only that the slow bite is a pattern at a lot of lakes this year..(Another reason I think its the weather)....I mean you cant even blame it on the barometric pressure either because thats been pretty decent all season..

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #255 on: Mar 20, 2014, 02:09 PM »
If you compare saratoga to other lakes around here it really isnt fished the way it could used to be.

I fixed that for you.  Saratoga used to get significantly more ice pressure, especially before they treated the weeds.    Fitch Road would get so popular that at times it would be tough to find yourself your own area to jig bluegills.

Not saying the fish aren't still there...there certainly are still plenty of fish, its just not "gimme" fishing anymore like it used to be.  Gotta work for them, and gotta know the lake and its contours to have an advantage.

Offline slabcommander

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #256 on: Mar 20, 2014, 07:19 PM »
big red is right on. If you really track what happens every year the pattern is the same with the panfish. Early season in the weed beds then-weeds die off they go to basin areas and roam then pre spawn they come back not until the fresh weeds re grow and turn back on. It gets real easy when the water warms up and the weeds come up because of oxygen and preferred feeding temps. It's just that the weeds aren't all over like they used to be and unless you really know the lake and where they go to find what they need it seems like theres "no fish". And I can tell ya fitch is hurting right now with the weeds if you pop a lot of holes theres just lots a mud down there right now. I think theres still a lot of fish in the basin still in big schools, during the crappie spawn you can't go anywhere without running into crappie and gills!! They didn't disappear they just are constantly roaming in areas no one will find them in unless you got a power auger and nothing but time.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #257 on: Mar 20, 2014, 07:51 PM »
Did anyone do good with Walleye this year? My dad is stuck in his old ways and keeps telling me we can go there to his spots and catch a ton of walleye like we used to in the past....I keep telling him the lake doesnt fish the same as it used to and well, he is stubborn lol.

Offline combsey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • take a friend fishing
« Reply #258 on: Mar 20, 2014, 08:28 PM »
Let's just say the eyes are there and in good numbers.   2 times I hit double digets on them.  And the sizes are looking good to.    A lot of 20's with done 12-14 inchers and the occasional 25-27 incher.    If your dad has a spot he was hitting them 10 years ago    Fish that spot.   My best areas this year was a spot that hasn't been good for 5 plus years.   
proud supporter of P. E. T. A.
(People Eating Tasty Animals)

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #259 on: Mar 20, 2014, 09:33 PM »
Let's just say the eyes are there and in good numbers.   2 times I hit double digets on them.  And the sizes are looking good to.    A lot of 20's with done 12-14 inchers and the occasional 25-27 incher.    If your dad has a spot he was hitting them 10 years ago    Fish that spot.   My best areas this year was a spot that hasn't been good for 5 plus years.   

hmm no kidding. I havent ice fished the lake this year but I got a 6lber that was 25" during open water season.

its not like I can go out fishing for them now anyways. I just haven't heard much about them being caught this season like they used too.

Offline combsey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • take a friend fishing
« Reply #260 on: Mar 21, 2014, 04:49 AM »
The people who did good this year was tight lipped.    Most times out on toga this year we were by ourselves      I'm a person who believes in cycles and a couple lakes I fish are / were like they were years ago and I had a great year.    Next season ask where you dad was getting them early ice and give it a shot.   

Offline slabcommander

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #261 on: Mar 21, 2014, 09:57 AM »
Half the problem also with walleyes to the common angler is they leave to early and arrive too late. The best bite is about to happen and everyone goes home to make dinner lol. Or your set up in the am for prime time and the yahoos come out with power augers and start drilling 75 holes in 10 ft. of water. I was set up the last week in the early am ready to go, just at prime time three wheelers of guys come out and see me with a flag, they stop look and immediately get set up right outside where I am. The funny part is they cut like 20 holes and realized where they were was only 3ft. deep. Hilarious

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #262 on: Mar 22, 2014, 04:20 PM »
I was out this morning and found the gills and bass quite active, until about 9:30.  Was fishing in about 6-7', with weeds on the bottom.  Threw em all back.  Didn't get a single perch, although I drilled a lot of holes shallow and just outside the weedline looking for them.

Offline iceangler442

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got ice?
« Reply #263 on: Mar 22, 2014, 08:02 PM »
                                                          Got my first eye today

Offline Pickeralpicker91

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #264 on: Mar 22, 2014, 08:17 PM »
                                                          Got my first eye today

(Image removed from quote.)

nice job, only a few days too late in the season too.  Is it bad I know where you are based on the contours of the blur/shoreline ;D

Offline combsey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • take a friend fishing
« Reply #265 on: Mar 22, 2014, 09:07 PM »
Nice eye.    Try east of there next year and just a little deeper. 

Offline fishon32

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #266 on: Mar 23, 2014, 06:33 AM »
Kids, don't u have friends?

Offline iceangler442

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got ice?
« Reply #267 on: Mar 23, 2014, 09:12 AM »
What do you mean don't I have friends? I like to fish...

Offline xxxbeer247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #268 on: Mar 23, 2014, 09:18 AM »
How shallow/deep were you fishing? Also how much ice is out there. Would like to get up one more time next week before it gets too risky

Offline combsey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • take a friend fishing
« Reply #269 on: Mar 23, 2014, 11:10 AM »
I think he wants you to take him fishing. Lol. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.