New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SARATOGA LAKE BS THREAD  (Read 223575 times)

Offline iceangler442

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got ice?
Re: SARATOGA LAKE BS THREAD
« Reply #210 on: Mar 09, 2014, 08:42 AM »

Yesterday was just one of those days at saratoga where the bass were biting like crazy

Offline rvz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #211 on: Mar 09, 2014, 09:24 AM »
Was out yesterday from 6AM to 1PM.  22" of ice.  Met Bigredonice while we were out (hope your evening went well).  I had a decent day, brought home 6 nice keeper perch jigging 20' to 60'.  Drilled quite a few holes but the Fin-Bore makes it fairly easy  Nice day to be out.

Offline chessieman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #212 on: Mar 09, 2014, 05:44 PM »
Finally, a BITE - got my limit of nice gills and a couple 11"-12" crappie Sat - plus bass, bass, bass - this morning was OK before sunrise then died out - things are looking up

Offline Eagle Ed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • [img]http://i58tinypic.com/2n/c5jc.png[/img]
« Reply #213 on: Mar 09, 2014, 06:13 PM »
Fished Green Canal off marina and got zip.  No flags and nothing jigging after punching over 20 holes.  Talked with guys in the parking lot and many had the same experience.  Had the same success yesterday at Lake Lonely along with four others.  Can't be too long before they start spawning in the areas I usually have success.  Didn't want to try Fitch Road, as it was a zoo with cars/trucks on and off the ice removing shanties.  Will give it a try during the week when it will be much less crowded.

Eagle Ed

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #214 on: Mar 10, 2014, 09:43 AM »
Had a nice day on the lake Saturday.   Drove on with the car.  Nice meeting you and your buddy RVZ.   We will have to get together for some more jigging at some point.  Ended up with 5 fatty perch and some nice smallmouth in the morning.   Worked hard in the afternoon and evening for some walleyes, but ended with just TONS of lookers.      In fact, for the evening bite my group had over 30 tipups out, and we could not ice a walleye.  Ice was holding up well when I left late Saturday night.     Was shocked at how close to the mouth of the Kaydeross some people were fishing  :cookoo:.   

do have to keep your eyes open though.   Saturday afternoon a bunch of spring holes started opening up around where we were fishing.   Three to be exact.   And they weren't there on Friday.

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #215 on: Mar 10, 2014, 10:27 AM »
It will just be a matter of time before someone sinks their vehicle. Especially once we get that snow cover on wed. possible 12" of snow

Offline ThisGuy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #216 on: Mar 10, 2014, 12:21 PM »
The mouth never used to get the pressure it does now. Everyone thinks that they are going to catch them now like the past couple of years. First off, the population got slammed the past two years. Also, it is gonna be a late year for ice. I've seen guys fishing the spots on foot, where people are driving their vehicles, near the creek. They were falling in those spots on foot! Hopefully the dummies that go in don't take any innocent lives with them. I'll be laughing my ass off when the first truck goes in, as long as no one is hurt. Confidence can't out weigh expierience.
This house is protected by the good Lord and a gun

Offline Dr. Honk

• IceShanty Rookie
  • NEED ICE
« Reply #217 on: Mar 10, 2014, 06:56 PM »
Fished off Fitch for a few hours this evening after work in 8 FOW. Marked a lot of fish but could not get anything to hit. They would come up to the jig , hang around for a little while and then go off. I changed jigs 8 times and put on fresh spikes every time.

Anyone have any suggestions on what to change?

Offline iceangler442

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got ice?
« Reply #218 on: Mar 10, 2014, 07:27 PM »
ignorant people

Offline phil2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #219 on: Mar 10, 2014, 07:32 PM »
No they live there. The monkey in the car that came down the lake fri at 9pm at hit the pressure crack in front of the creek 10 yds from open water at 40 mph well he's going swimming.

Offline iceangler442

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got ice?
« Reply #220 on: Mar 10, 2014, 07:50 PM »
Informing people that the ice can be unsafe is totally fine and I agree that people should be staying away from the kay...especially with a vehicle but for someone to say that your going to laugh your ass off when someone falls in?.. people just take things to far...If people want to go out there they can..that's up to them. (We warned them)

Offline phil2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #221 on: Mar 10, 2014, 08:26 PM »
Absolutely I agree but some people aren't that bright. They see guys like myself that know every bad spot on the lake and think they can go where they want. That lake is a killer waiting for someone to screw up. I remember about four years ago I was fishing the drop at the beach at the volleyball net and a quad was coming from china town drove by us,had three kids and his wife drove inside the buoy line past 9 blowhole's over the mouth of the creek,went towards the ramp. Hr later here he comes again back I chased him down. He said he was visiting friends and took his friends quad for ice cream. Then showed him what he drove by. I had to take him 1\2 way back. His wife wasn't impressed..

Offline basshunter12748

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #222 on: Mar 10, 2014, 09:23 PM »
Went out this morning looking for perch. Jigged in 20-24 FOW.  Fish were extremely aggressive at 1st light.  Caught about 20 altogether from 6:30-8am but alot of dinks, kept 5 that were in the 12inch range.  After 8 I was still marking fish chasing my jig but could not get them to commit.  Ended up leaving around 10.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #223 on: Mar 11, 2014, 08:15 AM »
Fished again last night.   Ice was holding up well, but that was my last time driving my car on the ice. I noticed a few more spring holes popped up in their usual places that hadn't been there Saturday, and with the big warm up today it seems like the prudent move.  Caught a bunch of smallmouth and rockbass, but could not get a walleye to freaking bite, despite putting out tipups again along with jigging.

Offline xxxbeer247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #224 on: Mar 13, 2014, 03:45 PM »
If anyone goes up today or tomorrow post back how much snow is on the ice. Heading up on Saturday

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #225 on: Mar 13, 2014, 04:28 PM »
no snow on the ice. We only got 2" and thats all gone from the wind

Offline ThisGuy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #226 on: Mar 13, 2014, 04:35 PM »
I haven't been out since Saturday night. There were so many guys in my usual spots it was depressing. Are there still guys hammering the west shore? I wanna go, but it sucks competing with all the new crowd the past couple of years. 2 days left. Good luck to all. Anyone pull out any slammers yet? Usually a few by now. I know the old man probably got a few

Offline slabcommander

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #227 on: Mar 13, 2014, 05:59 PM »
I'm going out tomorrow for a last hoorah for eyes. Will have safety picks around my neck ;) but gotta good feeling about it. This guy you should not worry about the competition, everything is so under fished around here compared to some top notch walleye lakes in the midwest. There's only so much time to take advantage of the prime times to catch these fish when they are vulnerable. Go get em'

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #228 on: Mar 14, 2014, 09:09 AM »
it sucks competing with all the new crowd the past couple of years.

you should have seen the west side 10 years ago when we had a number of seasons of good ice and good fishing in a row...the crowd over there is nothing new, some of the participants might be, but the "crowd" most certainly is not.   Overall, I'd say Saratoga only gets about 2/3 the ice fishing attention that it used to.   Slabcommander is right, this lake gets very little pressure comparatively speaking.

Offline ThisGuy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #229 on: Mar 14, 2014, 11:43 AM »
You guys are probably right. I get a little whiny when I see so many new faces in spots. I know that I was that new guy once too. That's just me being crabby about only one day off a week. Used to be able to fish around the crowd. Poor me, working for a living

Offline Dr. Honk

• IceShanty Rookie
  • NEED ICE
« Reply #230 on: Mar 14, 2014, 12:01 PM »
You guys are probably right. I get a little whiny when I see so many new faces in spots. I know that I was that new guy once too. That's just me being crabby about only one day off a week. Used to be able to fish around the crowd. Poor me, working for a living

I feel your pain. I too have to work for a living but at least have the weekends off almost all of the time. However, I will be working out of the Saratoga Lake office around 3:30 pm today. :)

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #231 on: Mar 14, 2014, 01:52 PM »
Most people work for a living.  Its the suckers like us that work M-F 9-5...alot of my buddies work swing shifts and get to fish weekdays.  Lucky stiffs.  ;D

Offline combsey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • take a friend fishing
« Reply #232 on: Mar 14, 2014, 04:12 PM »
Got to love swing shift. Days off during the week when there is a lesser crowd.   
proud supporter of P. E. T. A.
(People Eating Tasty Animals)

Offline ice tripper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • ice tripping all over the capital region for 30yrs
« Reply #233 on: Mar 14, 2014, 04:21 PM »
Got to love swing shift. Days off during the week when there is a lesser crowd.
X2 ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline slabcommander

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #234 on: Mar 15, 2014, 09:11 AM »
I fished last night tossed a coin between two spots. Fished til 7 lots of lookers nothing would commit. Wouldn't even hit my dead stick. Walked back in to where I was going to fish and watched a kid catch a 6.8#er. Weighed it for him and congradulated him. He never fished the lake before hahahaha......He didn't even realize he was on any specific structure just walked out and set up. Unreal! I'm guessing he'll be back lol

Offline iceangler442

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got ice?
« Reply #235 on: Mar 15, 2014, 09:23 AM »
Im assuming your talking a 6.8# eye?

Offline Pickeralpicker91

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #236 on: Mar 15, 2014, 10:34 AM »
Fished last night as well.  I had two pickerel hit right after dark...pretty disappointing when I was hoping for eyes.

Offline slabcommander

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #237 on: Mar 15, 2014, 11:38 AM »
Yup big ol' wally. I got bass, pickeral, rock bass........ugh. Oh well time to hammer some panfish now. Hopefully the new weed growth should start popping up soon.

Offline slabcommander

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #238 on: Mar 15, 2014, 11:43 AM »
Anybody notice the panfish showing up a bit thicker yet?

Offline ThisGuy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #239 on: Mar 15, 2014, 01:33 PM »
Last night boyz. See you out there.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.