Author Topic: Transducer cord in the hole  (Read 14498 times)

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
Re: Transducer cord in the hole
« Reply #30 on: Jan 16, 2020, 11:04 AM »
Humminbird does not offer one. I picked mine up from coby manufacturing. Need to contact them though. put mine on my Helix 5 ice and it kind of flops around. Don't know if I am doing something wrong or not.
Keep it safe! JDL
So got with Coby Manufacturing. The guy said that it will flop, but won’t fall off. Said they are looking at a slightly heavier spring to tighten the arm up. Don’t know if this is an issue with other brands of arms. They all look pretty much the same to me. I think it has to do with how they are mounted to the carrying case.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #31 on: Jan 16, 2020, 11:06 AM »
I know the vexilar float stop works good in the arm.forgot i even had a vexilar arm laying around.i do use a float alot tho.seems like the float moves away from the fish when its hooked more than the stationary  ducer on the arm.the propulsion of the fish tail seems to push the ducer away from it.i only remove the ducer on big fish and rarely get tangles because of the 8”  auger hole i use.

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Jan 16, 2020, 01:22 PM »
I like the ducer arm on my marcum but it seems I get fish tangle a lot in the ducer cord and I only have the ducer puck right below the ice.  So maybe I should stick with the float humminbird gave me.  I heard humminbird floats aren't the best but I wouldn't know.  I used on the float on the ice for a little and didn't seem to have any issues but I haven't put enough time in with it to know if it's ok or not. 

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #33 on: Jan 16, 2020, 01:33 PM »
Bluegills and anything in the sunfish family are the biggest culprits of tangles ..the smaller variety in particular..perch and crappie and large gills don't tend to wrap around the cord ..most times just my Vexilar transducer arm ..on cold hole hoping days I sometimes add the float ..im my hub/flip over it just the arm .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #34 on: Jan 16, 2020, 01:56 PM »
thanks maddogg! does it come with a stopper too? mine still works and is the marcum factory arm. if it breaks i will getting the student arm for sure. i have emailed them. 20$ to your door is a great price and helps students. i guess you can break the marcum arm by pushing the stopper in the C shape too tight and crack it there.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #35 on: Jan 16, 2020, 02:07 PM »
I like the ducer arm on my marcum but it seems I get fish tangle a lot in the ducer cord and I only have the ducer puck right below the ice. 

i see the problem. just put an inch or less of the bottom of the transducer in the water and centered in the hole. when the fish head is in the hole you can lean the string some to the side and steer the fish away from the transducer to keep it from swimming around it. all any transducer needs to work at it's best is to have the air removed. it says that in their manual.

only way i'll let the ducer hang under the plate is in a dedicated ice hole and fish the others when i plan to stay put for a while i'll make a triangle and fish the bottom two and electronics gets the top hole.

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Jan 16, 2020, 02:24 PM »
i see the problem. just put an inch or less of the bottom of the transducer in the water and centered in the hole. when the fish head is in the hole you can lean the string some to the side and steer the fish away from the transducer to keep it from swimming around it. all any transducer needs to work at it's best is to have the air removed. it says that in their manual.

only way i'll let the ducer hang under the plate is in a dedicated ice hole and fish the others when i plan to stay put for a while i'll make a triangle and fish the bottom two and electronics gets the top hole.

You mean just center the puck in the hole but just barely submerge it?  Does that ever mess with your sonar readings when the ice is real thick?

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #37 on: Jan 16, 2020, 11:31 PM »
if you get 2 feet or more, then you have to drop it down some supposedly. the hole can blind the transducer on the outer circumference. otherwise it's a good thing to do for landing fish and using the hole to block stray sonar signals from hitting yours.

try it, you'll like it and that's how it is designed to be used. check the manual online.

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Jan 17, 2020, 06:15 AM »
Really, that's how it supposed to be used?!  I have had that marcum for a while and I never knew that nor did I ever take a look owners manual.  Wow, I feel like an idiot.  I guess I always see most people dropping the ducer with a lot of cord hanging out.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #39 on: Jan 17, 2020, 06:24 AM »
Still trying to figure out how the cable is freezing to the side of your hole? Why is it sitting there that long? Been using my Vex for over 20 years and NEVER had it freeze in the hole. Granted, I pull it out when reeling in, but if I'm sitting there long enough that I haven't caught anything...and to freeze...I've been there too long.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #40 on: Jan 17, 2020, 07:29 AM »
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #41 on: Jan 17, 2020, 08:05 AM »
Still trying to figure out how the cable is freezing to the side of your hole? Why is it sitting there that long? Been using my Vex for over 20 years and NEVER had it freeze in the hole. Granted, I pull it out when reeling in, but if I'm sitting there long enough that I haven't caught anything...and to freeze...I've been there too long.
right on.if  the cord is frozen there has not been enough fish pulled up and its time to move.

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Jan 17, 2020, 09:40 AM »
thanks maddogg! does it come with a stopper too? mine still works and is the marcum factory arm. if it breaks i will getting the student arm for sure. i have emailed them. 20$ to your door is a great price and helps students. i guess you can break the marcum arm by pushing the stopper in the C shape too tight and crack it there.
No stopper included.
You can get a rubber stopper at all most any hardware store. Just cut a slit in it.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #43 on: Jan 17, 2020, 12:24 PM »
ok thanks again madogg, good idea! maybe a cork would work. it might hold better than the factory stopper. i wrap the cable around the arm to help the stopper hold thr cable from slipping. just have to remember to unwrap it for storage.

Really, that's how it supposed to be used?!  I have had that marcum for a while and I never knew that nor did I ever take a look owners manual.

this has been updated since i read the version i have, but it is still on point. if i have time, i can look for the older one i should have here and copy it from that.
https://marcumtech.com/download/35654/

PG 4
SETTING THE TRANSDUCER FOR ICE FISHING
When used in conjunction with the retractable pivoting transducer arm and rubber stopper, the
Digital Sonar’s transducer will automatically level itself in your ice hole. To begin operation, take
the transducer out of the recessed holder, and rotate the adjustable ice arm out from inside the
shuttle. Extend the transducer arm, (the cable should already be threaded through it with stopper
in place) and deploy the transducer into the water. We recommend setting your stopper to have
the transducer down the least amount possible. The MarCum Digital Sonar puts out enough
power that in most cases it is not necessary to have your transducer down more than a few
inches below the water line to get a good reading. When the ice thickness is over two feet, it
may be necessary to have your transducer set somewhat farther down.
Remember--the less transducer cable you have out, the easier it is to pull it out of the water
when bringing in a fish, or to move to a new location. Under no circumstances should you ever
have the ducer below the ice—this can lead to the ducer becoming damaged.
It is also important that you keep the cable near the center of the ice hole. We frequently hear
from anglers who allowed their cable to freeze into the side of the ice hole. If this should happen
to you, make sure the unit is turned off before attempting to chisel it out. If you accidentally cut
the ducer cable, do not try to use that ducer again.
(copied from link)

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Jan 17, 2020, 04:05 PM »
Thanks 3300 a lot!  These flashers are so simple basic and simple to learn that I didn't even bother looking at the manual.  I used to get so frustrated with fish, especially gills and such getting wrapped in the ducer.  Now I'm excited to try that.  As for my helix I will look into getting one the the transducer arms from the students that make them.  For now I'll just use the float for the bird, seeing as I'll probably be using the marcum more.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #45 on: Jan 17, 2020, 06:01 PM »
glad to help!

here's a shot i found looking thru some of my pics showing how the sonar shows fish and shows how high up in the water i keep the transducer in the water.

Offline dekatronic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Jan 17, 2020, 06:17 PM »
ok thanks again madogg, good idea! maybe a cork would work. it might hold better than the factory stopper. i wrap the cable around the arm to help the stopper hold thr cable from slipping. just have to remember to unwrap it for storage.

this has been updated since i read the version i have, but it is still on point. if i have time, i can look for the older one i should have here and copy it from that.
https://marcumtech.com/download/35654/

PG 4
SETTING THE TRANSDUCER FOR ICE FISHING
When used in conjunction with the retractable pivoting transducer arm and rubber stopper, the
Digital Sonar’s transducer will automatically level itself in your ice hole. To begin operation, take
the transducer out of the recessed holder, and rotate the adjustable ice arm out from inside the
shuttle. Extend the transducer arm, (the cable should already be threaded through it with stopper
in place) and deploy the transducer into the water. We recommend setting your stopper to have
the transducer down the least amount possible. The MarCum Digital Sonar puts out enough
power that in most cases it is not necessary to have your transducer down more than a few
inches below the water line to get a good reading. When the ice thickness is over two feet, it
may be necessary to have your transducer set somewhat farther down.
Remember--the less transducer cable you have out, the easier it is to pull it out of the water
when bringing in a fish, or to move to a new location. Under no circumstances should you ever
have the ducer below the ice—this can lead to the ducer becoming damaged.

It is also important that you keep the cable near the center of the ice hole. We frequently hear
from anglers who allowed their cable to freeze into the side of the ice hole. If this should happen
to you, make sure the unit is turned off before attempting to chisel it out. If you accidentally cut
the ducer cable, do not try to use that ducer again.
(copied from link)

Uhhhh .. I'm guilty of doing this  :o

This could explain why my Marcum stopped working and resulted in a $200 repair bill. Thanks for the heads up 3300

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #47 on: Jan 17, 2020, 06:45 PM »
Yea wow, I did not know this seriously.  I've seen so many people with the transducer down the hole I never even thought twice about it.  From now on I'm not dropping down the hole anymore!  I too had to replace a transducer after about 5 yrs of use....maybe that was the reason.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #48 on: Jan 18, 2020, 05:53 AM »
glad to help!

here's a shot i found looking thru some of my pics showing how the sonar shows fish and shows how high up in the water i keep the transducer in the water.

Guessing this would not be Marcum specific?
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #49 on: Jan 18, 2020, 07:28 AM »
Vexilar has less power and recommends putting the ducer to the bottom  of the ice plate.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #50 on: Jan 18, 2020, 08:49 AM »
Vexilar has less power and recommends putting the ducer to the bottom  of the ice plate.

And no mention that damage could occur if it hung that far. Why?...it's a Vexilar (sorry...I had to)  ;D

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #51 on: Jan 18, 2020, 08:52 AM »
And no mention that damage could occur if it hung that far. Why?...it's a Vexilar (sorry...I had to)  ;D
and if a transducer would get damaged from being in the water i think that is ridiculous.they are made to be submerged.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #52 on: Jan 18, 2020, 09:50 AM »
and if a transducer would get damaged from being in the water i think that is ridiculous.they are made to be submerged.

How long are Marcum transducer cords ? Thinking 5-6 feet ..if so why ? If on 2 foot of ice ..having it just below the top of the ice ..I would think your signal must be bouncing off the sides..causing a slew of interference . I do raise my Vexilar transduce to just below the top of the ice when fishing shallow water and thin ice ..w/o any ill effects ..mostly for sunfish fish tangles in the cord prevention ...but I suppose I get a little more cone viewing as well.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #53 on: Jan 18, 2020, 10:25 AM »
How long are Marcum transducer cords ? Thinking 5-6 feet ..if so why ? If on 2 foot of ice ..having it just below the top of the ice ..I would think your signal must be bouncing off the sides..causing a slew of interference . I do raise my Vexilar transduce to just below the top of the ice when fishing shallow water and thin ice ..w/o any ill effects ..mostly for sunfish fish tangles in the cord prevention ...but I suppose I get a little more cone viewing as well.

What he said.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #54 on: Jan 18, 2020, 11:47 AM »
Keep it safe! JDL
Answered my own question never mind.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #55 on: Jan 18, 2020, 11:57 AM »
So thanks to the folks who chimed in here! Never had an issue with the cord freezing to the hole. At the same time I have never once paid attention to how far down the hole the transducer was. One more reason to appreciate this site!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #56 on: Jan 19, 2020, 12:58 AM »

here's a link to their manual. i can't seem to be able to find which page shows us that information.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B6O6hqT9O0J6OVY5bnRRMjRWWTQ

where did you hear about damaging a transducer from being in water? i've never heard of that. do you have a link?

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #57 on: Jan 19, 2020, 01:00 AM »

page 30 ~ 32 depends on which manual you click on.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B6O6hqT9O0J6OVY5bnRRMjRWWTQ

Float - The float suspends the transducer in the ice hole. You
can also use the eye-bolt included with the Vexilar ice fishing
systems to suspend the transducer. This can often be the best
choice for early ice conditions.

Cable - Ice-Ducer® cable is specifically designed to stay
flexible in cold temperatures. This flexible cable will be more
prone to be cut by your line or damaged if not stored correctly.
It’s a key part of the Ice-Ducer® system.
 End quote

why would you think they suggest using the eye bolt over the swim noodle?

vex expects you to use either their eye bolt or swim noodle. they don't say hang the cable over the edge of the ice hole.

vex does mention damaging their transducers tho. they mention it in several areas in their manuals. they say every time it takes a hit it's weakening it. if you pull your cord and don't use a float then the cone more than likely hits the edge of the ice hole.

here's one link mentioning it.
https://www.vexilar.com/blog/2018/10/16/simple-in-hull

Any hits to the transducer face can be bad for the transducer. The extreme vibration between it and the hull can be damaging to the transducer. After time, it can become weak. You’ll notice that you aren’t seeing as many fish or your losing bottom when it gets deep and soft. Then It’s time for a new one.
 End quote

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #58 on: Jan 19, 2020, 01:01 AM »

why make a short cable. that would limit the use of the sonar for using in boats.
you can see in my picture there is zero clutter. marcum digital doesn't show the first 2.5 feet of the water column. my hb ice-55 didn't show much of the top either, but it did show 3 feet of clutter all of the time regardless of ice thickness and that's with it hanging under the ice plate because they said to use a swim noodle they provide and we don't get thick ice here.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #59 on: Jan 19, 2020, 01:02 AM »
Keep it safe! JDL

any ice fishing sonar will benefit from fishing this way. the people that remove their float and have to pull their transducer from under the plate will bang the transducer against the bottom of the ice plate and can't see that they are doing so. they also have to put it on ice and normally in a big hurry and maybe not thinking so much about the condition of their electronics as much as landing the fish. every time you hit any transducer you are weakening it more and more. doesn't matter who's brand it is. they all use a crystal. using the float will help to keep the cone shape from going under the plates edge by keeping it more centered than hanging the cable over the edge of the ice hole and it can hold it up from being under the plate. everyone says ditch the float, it's just in the way.

using an arm takes care of those problems and keeps it high enough where you can land fish and leave the transducer in the water even fishing pan fish like i do. having less than inch of the transducer in the water means there's a lot less in your way.
the arm offers way more flexibility than a solid metal eye bolt. might be good for a last resort. i've seen others use two box end wrenches to make an adjustable arm and cut a notch open for the cable to slip in/out.

vex has the eye bolt to hold the transducer up high. i'd ditch it and get an adjustable arm, but then again, i don't use a mechanical flasher anymore.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.