New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Syracuse NY Ice Fishing Show  (Read 18801 times)

Offline townzee

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Syracuse NY Ice Fishing Show
« Reply #90 on: Dec 11, 2010, 06:09 AM »
First off, The people who are putting this on are doing a great job! This was the first time I have been to the show. I guess I had it in my head it was going to be more like the trapping shows I go to (everything imaginable for sale, with a good show price). Don't get me wrong, there are good deals there. I was just disappointed I guess, because the few things I needed to get, I couldn't find. It also botherd me a bit, that Clam wasn't selling anything from their booth. I understand about companies selling to retailers only, but you would think they would have made sure one of their retailers were there with a good selection of product (I did see a few Clam chairs). I may have missed someone selling clam merchandise, but I walked the entire floor about a dozen times, and didn't see what I was after. I will go back next year, but will have a better idea of what I need to pick up before hand.

Offline jascpa099

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • You don't win friends with salad.
« Reply #91 on: Dec 11, 2010, 06:24 AM »
Thanks for the link Gamma!!!  As much as I've read about these...seeing that.... I am SOLD!
God is great; beer is good, and people are crazy!

Offline tubby67

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Keep it only if your going to eat it"
« Reply #92 on: Dec 11, 2010, 06:32 AM »
Gamma, RJ and I will be there between 11 or 12 see you there.

Offline Cheeks13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #93 on: Dec 11, 2010, 06:33 AM »
Hunt and I will be there around 10. See you there. Cheeks out!!!! 8)

Liberty or death-what we so proudly hail-once you provoke her-rattling of her tail-never begins it-never but once engaged-never surrender-showing the fangs of rage!

Offline Gamma Fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #94 on: Dec 11, 2010, 06:40 AM »
First off, The people who are putting this on are doing a great job! This was the first time I have been to the show. I guess I had it in my head it was going to be more like the trapping shows I go to (everything imaginable for sale, with a good show price). Don't get me wrong, there are good deals there. I was just disappointed I guess, because the few things I needed to get, I couldn't find. It also botherd me a bit, that Clam wasn't selling anything from their booth. I understand about companies selling to retailers only, but you would think they would have made sure one of their retailers were there with a good selection of product (I did see a few Clam chairs). I may have missed someone selling clam merchandise, but I walked the entire floor about a dozen times, and didn't see what I was after. I will go back next year, but will have a better idea of what I need to pick up before hand.
I can't believe that there are no Clam shelters available for sale at the show.    I believe Thorne Bros. is the dealer there.
  This show is more geared towards the major companies showing their new gear to the general public.     The maunufacturers rarely sell direct to the public.    They don't make a practice of stepping on the wholesalers and retailers toes.
  I only got a few minutes to walk around and I saw a couple vendors who had several different tip up lines and accessories that someone said they couldn't find.     Having no tip up line at an ice fishing show is like having no food at a buffet line !
  As an ice fisherman,if you couldn't find what you were looking for at the show, tou may have been looking for unrealistic deals or just trying top find a reason to complain.
    The only real gripe I've heard was that Nils Master wasn't there this year.     They have no product to sell at this time so untiul the next container of goods comes in, everyone from distributors to retailers will have no augers, hali's or other Nils gear  :-\ :-\

The seminars alone are worth the price of admission ! ;)
PLASTICS ARE FANTASTIC  !!

Offline Gamma Fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #95 on: Dec 11, 2010, 06:42 AM »
Gamma, RJ and I will be there between 11 or 12 see you there.
Looking forward to seeing you guys again ! ;)   See ya soon !

Offline Gamma Fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #96 on: Dec 11, 2010, 06:47 AM »
About 5times the vendors with more tackle would be ideal I had a grand in my pocket to spend and left with over 800
I'd like to see more vendors as well but not national compaines.   A handful of local and/or independent manufacturers/companies would be nice for the show and it would also show that Ice Fishing isn't a Minnesota thing only !
  Unfortunately, the booth prices aren't cheap for these small operations.   It sure would be nice though !

More huge, national retailers at the show would just clutter things up.    They'd all carry the same products at basically the same prices so you'd walk around in circles all day and still pay the same price.

The show is growing.    That's a good thing !!

Offline mush69

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #97 on: Dec 11, 2010, 07:19 AM »
I have yet to attend but am seriously considering it today.

My fishing buddy went last year and picked up an Ice Armor suit and he loves it.  I was considering the same but then I here of the IDI suit.  What is it? i really want to replace the old Carharts and Marlboro coat with something quality, waterproof and warm.

Offline GerryB

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #98 on: Dec 11, 2010, 07:33 AM »
Thorn does have clams and Frabill for sale just not last night...the truck showed up after the show started and the product was stuck out on the dock with no one to move it in. Gander had "limited styles" of clams there as well for sale, but you had to ask and they would go out back a pull it in on a cart, Gander was not offering a "show special price". I wanted a Frabill one man and could not find one to buy, the units on display where not for sale except one that had a sold sign on it, according to "Bro". He said you had to buy from the vendors and I could not find one who had product on the floor, so I came home shelterless. I did end up with a new MarCum VS625SD from the Krugerfarm booth for a good price but realized when I got home they put the wrong charger cord in my box. I bought the last VS625SD they had (display unit) this was within an hour of the doors opening. I'm not sure how you come from St. Paul with 4 MarCum cameras to sell and think you got it covered for inventory. I have been to every show so far and I will go back next year. This show seemed disjointed compared to the past shows, I think it had to do with manufacture/vendor relationships.

Offline Gamma Fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #99 on: Dec 11, 2010, 07:42 AM »
Thorn does have clams and Frabill for sale just not last night...the truck showed up after the show started and the product was stuck out on the dock with no one to move it in. Gander had "limited styles" of clams there as well for sale, but you had to ask and they would go out back a pull it in on a cart, Gander was not offering a "show special price". I wanted a Frabill one man and could not find one to buy, the units on display where not for sale except one that had a sold sign on it, according to "Bro". He said you had to buy from the vendors and I could not find one who had product on the floor, so I came home shelterless. I did end up with a new MarCum VS625SD from the Krugerfarm booth for a good price but realized when I got home they put the wrong charger cord in my box. I bought the last VS625SD they had (display unit) this was within an hour of the doors opening. I'm not sure how you come from St. Paul with 4 MarCum cameras to sell and think you got it covered for inventory. I have been to every show so far and I will go back next year. This show seemed disjointed compared to the past shows, I think it had to do with manufacture/vendor relationships.
There is some confusion this year but it'll straighten out.    With Strikemaster no longer affiliated with Clam and Ice Team, some people were confused as to where their products were.
   With the addition of more vendors, space is very limited so the retailers have to keep their large items out of the area and retrieve them as sold.   It's unfortunate that it ended up this way but it's also a sign that this show needs to be moved into the Center of Progress building at the NYS Fair Grounds next year.

Offline bucketbass

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • rippin lips
« Reply #100 on: Dec 11, 2010, 07:46 AM »
so is the show like last yr  ???
im looking for a nice hand auger ....havent heard a thing about them

Offline jascpa099

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • You don't win friends with salad.
« Reply #101 on: Dec 11, 2010, 08:11 AM »
Thanks for the link Gamma!!!  As much as I've read about these...seeing that.... I am SOLD!

This was meant for the news clip on the Artic Armor suits...where did it go???
God is great; beer is good, and people are crazy!

Offline townzee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #102 on: Dec 11, 2010, 09:49 AM »
Thorn does have clams and Frabill for sale just not last night...

Thanks for the info. I was there early on. I was looking for a cover for my Nanook. The only one I saw was at the clam booth. I now wish I could go back today and look, but have to work the rest of the weekend. It could also be the other things I was looking for were not out yet as well. Like I said before it is a good show, I guess I just got there at the wrong time.

Offline Chucker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice - It's not just for drinking!
« Reply #103 on: Dec 11, 2010, 11:44 AM »
I'm a-going to stay where ya sleep all day,
Where they hung the jerk who invented work
In the big rock candy mountains.

Offline fishingPole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #104 on: Dec 11, 2010, 12:14 PM »
Windbeam,  I had to work this morning, but I see you got your info.  Hey, I'm out to the garage now to put my new toy onto the snowmachine!   :)
Leave it better than you found it

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #105 on: Dec 11, 2010, 12:24 PM »
I hope the web cam is woking well cus the inernet is SOOOOOO SLOOOOOOOO here..  Very small crowd today...
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Chucker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice - It's not just for drinking!
« Reply #106 on: Dec 11, 2010, 12:28 PM »
It's fine.  Just the view is a little low & too close when seeing strangers, if you know what I mean.   :o
I'm a-going to stay where ya sleep all day,
Where they hung the jerk who invented work
In the big rock candy mountains.

Offline nessman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #107 on: Dec 11, 2010, 12:31 PM »
Just got back... grabbed an Otter Wild 2 shelter for $350 (show special price.... screw Gander Mtn.), some Maki's and other odds and ends.  They could make some room by getting rid of the Florida vacation and bathroom vendors that have nothing to do with ice fishing. 

I ended up ordering a Nils auger from Cabelas a couple of weeks ago when they were running a free shipping special. 

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #108 on: Dec 11, 2010, 05:33 PM »
Just got back.  Nice show, 3rd one for me, - lots of stuff and a better showing of manufacturers showing there wares.  Nice.
Light crowd (That ain't good).  Thorn Bros. had a checkout line that was continuous; needed two checkouts.
Found some really good deals on rods and rods and lures.  Put the seminars in a separate room/area.
Great meeting some of the IS crew there. Dacker, Cheeks, RG, F&R, Hammer, HT (you are bigger than I was lead to believe ;) ).  Great time!

Offline Hardwater Wanderer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #109 on: Dec 11, 2010, 06:24 PM »
Had a great time on Friday wish we could have stayed longer ,but the way the weather was going glad we left by 6 . Nice to see 307 there ,nice setup ! Would be nice to have Shanties own booth or a table with a sign in for members (just a thought). Talked to the guys from Marcum about the Showdown price jump from last year . I understand the logic ,glad there U.S. made but  :'( Was looking for a 67 icemachine . Makiplastic had an excellent display nice show specials .Good Job Scott !!will be getting a hold of you about the minnow mold . Bud >*}))))~<

Offline Cheeks13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #110 on: Dec 11, 2010, 07:07 PM »
Had a good time at the show. Nice to meet Walter, FishforPike, and Meathunter. I heard H.T. was there but I didn't see him. Cheeks out!!! 8)

Liberty or death-what we so proudly hail-once you provoke her-rattling of her tail-never begins it-never but once engaged-never surrender-showing the fangs of rage!

Offline crappie78

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #111 on: Dec 11, 2010, 07:10 PM »
Does anybody know if Marcum had any cameras left? Thanks

Offline huntny30

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • U.S. Navy Senior Chief Retired
« Reply #112 on: Dec 11, 2010, 07:17 PM »
I concur, I liked the show this year...got a few things that I needed and or wanted, think I'm pretty well set for this season, nice to meet a few of you...it will be nice to get out for the first time and fish instead of think and talk about it, maybe I'll run into a few more folks out on the frozen water...I thought the show was good and thanks Raquette for running the booth!

“Never apologize mister, it’s a sign of weakness.”  John Wayne

Offline chartreuse

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #113 on: Dec 11, 2010, 07:23 PM »
Parking is a rip off at $7, next time I think I'll cruise the streets looking for a parking place.
-parking in the garage was $3.50/2hrs...

Offline silvercreeker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #114 on: Dec 11, 2010, 07:26 PM »
I thought it was a great show, just got home.  Thorne Bros deals were great, got an Expedition Clam for 90 bucks, and clam seats for 16 bucks.
Had to have the shelter, like I needed another one.
I thought 7 bucks for parking wasn't too bad, I pay more than that down town Buffalo.
All the vendors were very friendly, especially the girl handing out raffle tickets!  Wow.
Great show, always a long day,
Now we need to be on the ice.
out
The Greenhornet's caught more fish then you've lied about, Gustafson!

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #115 on: Dec 11, 2010, 07:35 PM »
 it was a good turn out met up with some ice shanty members ,about 80 members signed at the shanty booth ,thats what the raquettedacker told me , there are some really good deals there ,throne bro. and otter and all season sports had some cool deals ,don't foget gamma and makis

Offline Vogel451

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #116 on: Dec 11, 2010, 08:57 PM »
went to the ice show today and paid 6$ for parking.  I stood in the ticket line stewing about it getting ready to pay another 6$ for admission.  I hand the man a 20 and he gives me change for a 50 ;D needless to say The oncenter bought me some jigs today.  Thank you syracuse!

Offline ICEMAN73

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #117 on: Dec 11, 2010, 09:07 PM »
Had a great time at the show today.  I got my new Vex Ducer 20 bucks off (nice)

Thanks for the ride WumpWump

Nice seeing you again RG and others (forgot IC names-bad short term mem)

Now bring on the ICE!!!!!!!!!

Also got my fix of Dino Grill    Yummy!!!!!

Later..............

Offline gvoelkl

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #118 on: Dec 11, 2010, 09:17 PM »
I hand the man a 20 and he gives me change for a 50

Ow! I hope they don't make the ticket-person make up the difference in the cash register; they don't earn that much to begin with.

Does anyone know where I can look at/purchase the Ice armor parka that Clam has on their website this season. It's supposed to be the same thing as the Blue suit parka without having to buy the suit complete (and there are a couple of color choices)

It was good to put some faces with the names at the IS booth today.

Good luck to all this season
GV

Offline pawaide

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #119 on: Dec 11, 2010, 09:21 PM »
I took my two sons and a friend to the show. I picked up a sack full of Maki plastics, a bunch of jigs, and some small stuff. I enjoyed what I got to see of the seminars.

I finally decided to buy an IDI suit. I have been going back and forth for months. I had pretty much made up my mind last weekend in Johnson City, but waited until the show to buy it. I really wanted to be able to try them on and size them. I finally did, and got it in my head that I wanted the camo suit, for the extra few bucks. I checked with the different vendors, and a couple were offering promos with the sale of a suit. I decided I needed a good pair of gloves more than a bag or whatever....... so bought it. Got home tonight and pulled it out of the bags............to find two parkas, and no bibs. I am a couple hours from Syracuse, and now have to wait for my invoice to be emailed before I can even let somebody know that there is a problem. I was really hoping to wear them on the ice Tuesday.

I did stop by the IS table and sign in, although the only person I met was Raquettedacker. Poor guy was there for HOURS!

I will go again next year, not that there were any spectacular deals, but because there is SO MUCH to actally put your hands on. I was there from ten until four and I know I didn't see everything I might have liked.

I pay alot more than seven bucks a day for parking at some of my worksites, and six dollar admission seems like a pittance, and certainly so, since both of my kids were free.

I hope all had a good time!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.