The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Bluegills as bait  (Read 570 times)

Offline Noon

• Team IceShanty Regular
Bluegills as bait
« on: Jan 10, 2019, 11:35 AM »
I intent to stop by the FWP office and get a direct answer on this topic before taking any action, but I can't come up with a clear answer from reading the regs. In any of the districts (Western, Central, and Eastern) bluegills are not mentioned regarding live or dead beat. There is a list of the live bait fish and without bluegills on the list it is implied they are not allowed for live bait. Dead bait it states how yellow perch cannot be used as bait except when all of the usable meat is kept intact and saved for personal consumption. But there is again no words on bluegill. Growing up and fishing on the east coast, whenever I would catch really small blue gills I would toss them out whole on another line or chop them up and use them as bait and catch twice as many and bigger fish than when using shiners or other baits. I'd like to keep a couple of the dinks from little ponds and use them for some big predatory fish (assuming the ice ever builds up on big waters).

So my question is, can bluegills or other sunnies be used as dead bait in Montana?
It doesn't sound that appealing to most people I talk to, but going out onto a frozen lake and staring into a hole for the day is my favorite thing to do.

Offline Cornbread

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Bluegills as bait
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2019, 11:41 AM »
When I called and asked this exact same question to the Kalispell office a couple of years ago I was told that yes they can be used as dead bait because they are not considered a game fish. Now that was probably 6 - 8 years ago, so that answer may have changed. I was using frozen ones under tipups for pike bait at one time. I don't anymore because I don't live near where I can catch a bunch of them easily anymore so I haven't done it since that year I asked them about it and got a yes answer. For your own protection I would call them and make sure you write down who gave you that answer so if a problem arises in the field you can say you were given that answer on such and such date by warden "whoever". That way there is no ambiguity that could result in you getting a fine.

Offline hoofer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2019, 11:42 AM »
not live.
fish till it hurts then fish some more

Offline Noon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2019, 11:46 AM »
Thanks guys. I figured you can not use them live due to not being listed with the fish that can be used as live bait. I also assumed you could use them as dead bait due to not being listed as game fish but wasn't sure. I will definitely take the advice of writing down the name of the FWP person that I get my answer from. But I can't imagine having anyone give me a hard time about it if the answer is still the same that they can be used as dead bait.
It doesn't sound that appealing to most people I talk to, but going out onto a frozen lake and staring into a hole for the day is my favorite thing to do.

Offline MtPike_Master

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2019, 12:07 PM »
You can use any non game fish for dead bait in Montana. Just can't use dead sculpin in the Western District and you can't use yellow perch either
"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."
                                              -Henry David Thoreau

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.