Author Topic: shappell dx 3000 mod.  (Read 4253 times)

Offline davef

• Team IceShanty Regular
shappell dx 3000 mod.
« on: Feb 02, 2011, 05:08 PM »
I have thought about buying 2 additional hinges for the hole covers on this shanty and moving the center hinge on each side so I could cut the doors in half. I frequently fish alone out of this shanty and would like the extra closed in floor space for all my gear. I wrote to shappell and their thought was concern about the center hinge. I'm thinking 2 hinges on each side for a total 4 per shanty half should work. I also would use a heavy duty piece of plastic riveted in as a brace across the bottom width of the opening(short measurement) for the doors to rest on for additional strength. Any thoughts?

Offline pike seeker

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: shappell dx 3000 mod.
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2011, 05:56 PM »
Sounds like it would work. Only one way to know for sure.

Offline wngnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2011, 10:56 AM »
I've been using my Shappel 3000 for ten years or more and Honestly would not go through all that trouble to get a little more floor space. I have been using It as a one man and pack a lot of stuff. There's enough room to place all my gear inside ( too much to list ) and still make a pot of coffee with my percolator and single burner in the afternoon.

Offline davef

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 03, 2011, 01:34 PM »
Your probably right that it would be more of a pain than anything.  I like to drill 2 holes at the opposite ends when I fish alone and use the furtherest one as a dead stick with a float. Seems to keep the tangles less when spread out to me.  Guess to be honest the times I do get tangled are few and far between.

May try it anyhow, although now I think I would cut the hatches off center a little so I would only need to add one hinge to the short side plus a brace under the cuts riveted to the shanty floor.

Offline wngnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2011, 04:51 PM »
What I have thought about doing to organize the inside the shanty Is to add a shelf under the window. Something that would mount to the upright supports. A place to put tackle boxes, coffee cup hang the slusher and my jacket. Home away from home. Man I love Ice fishing.

Offline davef

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 2011, 05:52 PM »
I haven't tried the shelf but I did make an additional pole to span the spot above the holes. I slide it down to trap the open hole covers so they can't fall down if it's windy. I used a 2 piece aluminum pole and bolted a PVC T fitting to the aluminum. I then hack sawed enough of the t open so it would snap over the side poles. I'm not sure if it would be sturdy enough to add some type of shelf on top or not.  I think it would be hard to get the new pole tight enough so it didn't slip but it might work. Maybe a shelf could be added to the aluminum with U bolts?

I also have drilled holes in the poles for the roof and attached them with bungees so they snap together like the side poles do. One less thing to come apart and get lost.

Offline wngnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 04, 2011, 11:42 AM »
 Those two roof support poles are a constant worry for me. Getting half way across the lake and finding out one of the poles is missing. Good Idea on the roof poles. I haven't worked out the details on the shelf yet but I'm thinking along the lines of mounting the shelf with a tube slid over the upright and held at the right hight with a pin installed through a drilled hole. On the tube maybe use a shelf bracket, It would be able to spin and lay flat on the floor when broken down. The length of the shelf Itself would be too long as a single piece so I'd hinge it in the middle and Install it hinge side down. I'm sure there's room for Improvement on that Idea but it's a starting point.

Offline mvorpahl

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Oct 20, 2019, 11:20 PM »
I drilled holes in all 4 corners of mine and use the Eskimo ice anchors and the handles are big enough that when you put them in next to the trap doors you can turn the handle sideways in a direction that holds the door open.

Offline mvorpahl

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Oct 20, 2019, 11:23 PM »
I have 2 of these shelters and have replaced the shock cords in the main support Poles I also ordered extra shock cords and put them in to the horizontal support spreaders so that they operate just like the mean support loops.

Offline fishinnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #9 on: Oct 31, 2019, 02:12 PM »
Painted my roof support poles floro orange so I won't lose or forget them in the snow.
God grant me strength to catch a fish
So large that even I
When telling of it afterwards
May never need to lie.

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #10 on: Oct 31, 2019, 02:44 PM »
Shappell sells the plastic roof straps and the roof poles separately.  The roof is the same length as the sides so the poles fit across the walls.  Others have ordered multiples of both and really stiffened it up against the dreaded wind flap, lol.  Those poles hold shelves, too.  There are other threads on here if you search. I remember one that had a buddy heater on the floor between the holes and a shelf below the window that held a flasher and a fishfinder.   I have also heard that you can zip 2 of them together for a long skinny 4 man.  All great ideas.  Let's keep em coming!

How about transport?  I know nobody is putting buckets on the "holders" that are built into the bottom of the floor.   ::)

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #11 on: Oct 31, 2019, 06:39 PM »
I found the pic I saved in my phone. Sorry to whoever posted this. Don't mean to poach but just trying to share some cool ideas.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 14, 2019, 08:59 PM »
If you do the front cross bar shelf idea then  you could alway mount a fish finder to it with a ram mount like I did on my flip over..

Offline wngnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 09, 2019, 06:52 PM »
Curious how other Shappell owners are transporting their shelters? I've got a set of 4 milk crates bolted together then ratchet strapped to the rear rack on my four wheeler. A cargo net like sling that the 3000 rides in mounted to the rear of the milk crates. The sling carries the 3000 just high enough to clear the exhaust, sticking up about a foot past the top of the crates. I'll try to post a pic when I get it mounted for the season.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.