Illinois > Ice Fishing Illinois

Polar Vortex 2021

<< < (2/10) > >>

zcm_82:

--- Quote from: Rebelss on Feb 03, 2021, 08:38 AM ---Vortex shmortex. Cold air dropping in from the arctic, but suddenley we need special bling phrases.  ::)
Gonna chill down a bit here in the southern banana belt.

Saturday NightPartly cloudy, with a low around -15  Northwest wind 8 to 10 mph, with gusts as high as 21 mph.

SundayMostly sunny and cold, with a high near -4. Northwest wind around 8 mph. Dangerpus windchills.

Sunday NightPartly cloudy, with a low around -14. West wind around 7 mph. Windchills of -38.

--- End quote ---

I'm a solid 300mi south of the cities  by latitude, and we're looking at lows between 0 and -10 from Saturday through next Thursday. We were back to open water holes on Monday, so this is just what we needed around here.

We haven't had a day below 5 degres all winter here, and sub-zero in Febtober is fairly uncommon, so I'll take it, regardless of what they want to call it 😝

Our ice has been spotty and marginal all season, so this is a fantastic turn of weather.

bassin140:

--- Quote from: zcm_82 on Feb 03, 2021, 08:44 AM ---I'm a solid 300mi south of the cities  by latitude, and we're looking at lows between 0 and -10 from Saturday through next Thursday. We were back to open water holes on Monday, so this is just what we needed around here.

We haven't had a day below 5 degres all winter here, and sub-zero in Febtober is fairly uncommon, so I'll take it, regardless of what they want to call it 😝

Our ice has been spotty and marginal all season, so this is a fantastic turn of weather.

--- End quote ---

I am also quite a ways south in shelby county.....where you at?

zcm_82:

--- Quote from: bassin140 on Feb 04, 2021, 08:25 AM ---I am also quite a ways south in shelby county.....where you at?

--- End quote ---
Iroquois County, but I've done some fishing on both sides of the state line. We've had fishable ice off and on since Dec 29th, but it has been marginal at best. 4.5" is the most I have found all season, and a lot of water has been skim or not near enough to walk on.

Even the ice I've fished has been back and forth between fishable and death a few times with the temps on such a rollercoaster. I stepped through once a few weeks ago.

Rebelss:
Snowin' and blowin' like a 🐄 down here right now. Predicting blizzard conditions (close to it already) and then the -15 below with the highs of -3 below...must be that Polar Express bearin' down on us.❄❄  ::)

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/04/weather/polar-vortex-snow-storm-blizzard-wind-chill/index.html

zcm_82:
It's mid 30s and raining here. Supposed to shift to snow for a while this afternoon, then clear off for the temperature crash tonight... I'm just hoping the forecast is close. They've been pretty bad on the temperature predictions around here this winter.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version