The Dark House Spearing board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: New darkhouse Build  (Read 2415 times)

Offline runout

• IceShanty Rookie
New darkhouse Build
« on: Nov 19, 2015, 02:03 PM »
Here are some pics of the new darkhouse I am building for 2015. The wood is new but everything else is junk that I have collected over the last two years in preparation for this build. It looks a little Sanford and Son-ish but I wont get a chance to paint it until next summer. I will be insolating it after deer season and will post more pics after the inside is finished. Total weight will be under 450lbs and it is 8X8 with a 7'6" to 6'6" roof. Insolation will be 1 1/2" high density foam. And I do have a question. I want to just rattle can the foam insolation black but I don't know if it will take the paint and not be harmed/corroded by the paint.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: New darkhouse Build
« Reply #1 on: Nov 20, 2015, 06:39 PM »
That should do it, nice job :thumbsup:

WS

Offline Perch tugger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 20, 2015, 07:03 PM »
 Insulation will be 1 1/2" high density foam. And I do have a question. I want to just rattle can the foam insulation black but I don't know if it will take the paint and not be harmed/corroded by the paint.

I think I would put cardboard on walls and ceiling and paint it black.  O try the paint you are going to use on a small piece of the insulation and see how it dose.  Then to be safe don't mix the types or brands of paint.  Looks good so far should work great when blacked out.

Offline maxmartens

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 30, 2015, 05:56 PM »
I dont think you should have any trouble painting it as long as you use an acrylic paint not oil based.

Offline runout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2015, 07:12 PM »
Insulation is in and caulked. I used some expansion foam for the bigger gaps (messy and looks like crap)but it did the job. With the insulation in and my Buddy heater on low it stayed just under 70 degrees in the house when it was 6 degrees outside.

HD USB cam is mounted.

Offline runout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2015, 07:26 PM »
A few small odds and ends left but otherwise it is ready for the lake. I ended up using a flat outdoor latex paint and it went on great. One gallon covered the walls and the ceiling. I had some barn and fence paint left over from a trailer that built this summer so I used it on the floor. 

Offline mwal

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2016, 10:21 AM »
Is it out yet? nice looking

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2016, 11:42 AM »
Good craftsmanship!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor