Nebraska > Ice Fishing Nebraska

Panhandle Ice Fishing

(1/4) > >>

The Rocket:
I just bought a house in northeast Colorado about 40 50 minutes from Sidney.
Any ideas for great Nebraska ice fishing??

Sandbilly:
Crescent Lake National Refuge, an hour N of Oshkosh, has some of the best panfish and bass lakes in the state. Box Butte Res. and Whitney are both in reach for a day's outing on pike and eyes.

Good weekend trip to Merritt and Valentine Nat. Refuge is a must. Call ahead for ice conditions, they change fast.

Good luck
dc

The Rocket:

--- Quote from: Sandbilly on Oct 25, 2004, 09:17 PM ---Crescent Lake National Refuge, an hour N of Oshkosh, has some of the best panfish and bass lakes in the state. Box Butte Res. and Whitney are both in reach for a day's outing on pike and eyes.

Good weekend trip to Merritt and Valentine Nat. Refuge is a must. Call ahead for ice conditions, they change fast.

Good luck
dc

--- End quote ---
Sounds Great Buddy!!!! I have heard of some awesome Walleye fishing at Whitney, but now I can go find out for myself!!
Any great Bluegill lakes? As well as Crappie?

Sandbilly:
Merritt is a great Crappie lake. Calamus is a sleeper for slabs, but is only fishable in harsh winters.

Gills spots are less predictable. The drought smacked these sandhill lakes. The best rule of thumb I can offer is fish for gills in lakes that don't have pike. As the water went down it pushed everything out into Mr. Pike's feed zone. The few gills that are left in a lot of these lakes are either very big or very smart. We iced several pound+ gills last year with chew marks up to the dorsal fin. They just wouldn't quite fit.

I can't do much fishing in the summer but when the ice is on I'm gone. We just finalized a business in Crawford so will be making the 150mi. trek west every few weeks. Maybe we will meet on the ice somewhere.

dc

jaymzthefisher:
Hey Rockit,

Boxbutte was just unreal last year for huge gills and big crappie. And you tipups will keep you busy all day for Pike. Then stay on the lake a couple hours after sunset for the bonus eyes.

Oliver just 8 mile west of Kimball if we get a cold winter has some great walleye with some monster Tiger Muskie.

And I have a secret lake just across the Wyoming border that is a real sleeper that we have pulled Walleye up to 12lbs out of also get lots of bass, and crappie out of there. The only problem with this lake is all the trout and catfish that bother you through the day.

What town in Colorado?

hope some of this helps

Jaymz

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version