Author Topic: Lowrance Elite-4 HDI Issues  (Read 1043 times)

Offline DustBorne

• IceShanty Rookie
Lowrance Elite-4 HDI Issues
« on: Feb 11, 2019, 04:33 PM »
Hey all,

I've been using my lowrance elite-4 HDI for ice fishing this year. I'm currently using traditional transducer instead of an Ice transducer. The picture below is what it looks like.

https://i.imgur.com/4tikfY8.jpg

As you can see from 0-13 feet it is super cluttered. I have tried adjusting sensitivity,but then I usually lose my jig (which i've been having trouble picking up anyway.

Any thoughts on how to fix this? I ordered an ice fishing transducer which i'm hoping will fix it, but i'd still like to get some thoughts on this.

Thanks!

Offline gofishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Lowrance Elite-4 HDI Issues
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2019, 06:55 PM »
Is that what your screen looks like all the time or did it just start. The one thing I noticed is how low your battery is, sometimes they can act up when the battery is getting low.

Offline DustBorne

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2019, 07:35 PM »
It's been the last couple weeks Everytime I go out. I can't say it's been on a good charge so I'll make sure to do some testing on that.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2019, 08:51 PM »
Battery being low wont help, but you usually lose signals when that happens.. non gain clutter.

What setting is your sensitivity on now? Put it in manual mode, ice mode, 200khz, colorline 52, sensitivity around 60 ish. It may be that your transducer is not hanging PERFECTLY level so you have to crank the sensitivity to see your jig and getting a screen of clutter. They really do have to be perfectly level, with the thickness and stiffness of that HDI ducer cable I don't know if you could get it perfectly level without using a T bar and putting a heavy weight on it.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline DustBorne

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2019, 10:44 AM »
Hmm, that could be the problem. I'll give those settings a shot. The levelness might be the problem since I only have a 4" auger, and that's barely enough room to fit the transducer so it gets knocked a bit when putting it in the hole. Hopefully if that's the case the ice transducer will fix my issue.

Thanks for the ideas!

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2019, 12:40 PM »
Hmm, that could be the problem. I'll give those settings a shot. The levelness might be the problem since I only have a 4" auger, and that's barely enough room to fit the transducer so it gets knocked a bit when putting it in the hole. Hopefully if that's the case the ice transducer will fix my issue.

Thanks for the ideas!

I would bet that is exactly your issue, and I bet the ice ducer will fix it. The ice ducer will come with a float, you don't have to use it.. build some sort of arm to hold the cable over your hole... the float really is a pain. Actually I dont think you could use the float in a 4" hole, you wouldn't have any room for fishing!
EYECONICFISHING

Offline DustBorne

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 12, 2019, 01:29 PM »
Beyond the space for the float, why wouldn't you use it otherwise?

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Feb 12, 2019, 04:32 PM »
It has a support that uses extra cables and can cause the ducer to hang off-balanced, fish will wrap you around it almost every time, and the float freezes to a block of ice when you take it out of the hole.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Muggsy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 14, 2019, 11:20 AM »
If you're only using a 4" hole, once you decide on where you're going to fish, you might consider drilling another hole right beside your first for your transducer. Fish out of 1, transducer in the other.
Maybe someday I'll think of something clever to write here...but I doubt it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.