Author Topic: Polaris 440 does not like to start when the engine is still warm  (Read 951 times)

Offline thewyler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go hard or go home
I recently bought a 1985 Polaris 440 SS and it runs great, I'm just working on fine tuning out issues. I'm almost done, the engine runs a little rich (ill wait till tomorrow to tune that), It idles at about 3600 rpm (i plan on tuning that down to 2000 tomorrow as well), the fuel siphon inside the tank rotted off in the last 29 years (I have the part and will fix it tomorrow) .The issue I have is it will work and run fine all day, but if i shut it off it wont restart. I have never had a engine that wouldn't start when warm but fire up in a few pulls when cold.
does anyone know whats wrong?
go hard or go home

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
Its too rich.  2 strokes love a rich condition when cold starting.  However when warm too rich and it floods.  Floats maybe too high, choke stuck on-
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Maineiac1833

• IceShanty Rookie
I don't know if you got your sled fixed yet or not but some things to check :

After you fix the fuel tank make sure the tank is clean and free of debris. Clean the rest of your fuel system (fuel pump and carburetor ) and check fuel lines. It doesn't take much to clog up the pilot jet in your carb. The pilot jet controls gas/air mixture at idle. This maybe why the idle was set so high is to keep it running because if your pilot is clogged and idle is set correctly it won't idle or want to start.

Another thing to do if the fuel system all checks out would be to test your coils and stator. If you are unsure of how to do it you should be able to find some how to vids on Google or youtube pretty easily.

Offline thewyler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go hard or go home
We actually got it working great, and your dead on the tank has tons of debris and the carb clogs in a breeze. Turns out theres leaves and other crud in the tank. Unfourtunaltly theres no way the seat will survive removing the tank so it gets babied along.
go hard or go home

Offline Maineiac1833

• IceShanty Rookie
Well I'm glad to hear you got it running good!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.