Author Topic: Gimmick or GTSSB ?  (Read 3082 times)

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
Re: Gimmick or GTSSB ?
« Reply #30 on: Mar 06, 2018, 12:07 PM »
Cutting bread always was a pita

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Mar 06, 2018, 12:29 PM »
The knot tied in the top video was always called a fishermen's knot when I was taught as a kid and we still refere to it as such.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #32 on: Mar 07, 2018, 05:26 AM »
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #33 on: Mar 07, 2018, 05:31 AM »
I can get 14 pairs of reading glasses at the dollar store for that price   ;D

Glasses, no matter how good or strong they are, will never bring your eyesight back to what it used to be. You'll see...or not. ;) Besides, why carry 14 pair of reading glasses in your tackle box when you can have 1 of these tools?  ;D
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #34 on: Mar 07, 2018, 06:41 AM »
The knot tied in the top video was always called a fishermen's knot when I was taught as a kid and we still refere to it as such.

It was also called improved clinch knot, and was the first good fishing knot I ever learned when I was a kid and I still use it sometimes. http://www.animatedknots.com/improvedclinch/index.php

Offline Indie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Mar 07, 2018, 06:46 AM »
My eyes and the Palomar knot work well together.
Palomar knot all the way for me, it won’t slip and will stay on top of a jig fished horizontally. Otherwise improved clinch/fisherman’s knot. The problem with the clinch is that it can slip under heavy pressure/tight drag, I’ve had a few uncurl on very large lake trout this year and then is when I switched to the Palomar with no issues.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #36 on: Mar 07, 2018, 07:14 AM »
Palomar knot all the way for me, it won’t slip and will stay on top of a jig fished horizontally. Otherwise improved clinch/fisherman’s knot. The problem with the clinch is that it can slip under heavy pressure/tight drag, I’ve had a few uncurl on very large lake trout this year and then is when I switched to the Palomar with no issues.

I have never heard of a improved clinch knot slipping? Were you using one of the really slick super braid lines? I have never had one slip with mono. If it slipped with mono it wasn’t tyed correctly. I believe I have heard of it slipping with a super braid line though. I now mainly use the Palomar knot also, especially with braid.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #37 on: Mar 07, 2018, 07:16 AM »
all I know is if you use fiskas or other similar horizontals it shows right on the package the knot to use for them which is a surgeon loop knot.very similar to the rapala knot ive been using.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #38 on: Mar 07, 2018, 07:26 AM »
I have found also with some really small ice jigs, that it is almost impossible to double the line through the eye, making the Palomar impossible to tye.

Offline Indie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Mar 07, 2018, 07:45 AM »
I have never heard of a improved clinch knot slipping? Were you using one of the really slick super braid lines? I have never had one slip with mono. If it slipped with mono it wasn’t tyed correctly. I believe I have heard of it slipping with a super braid line though. I now mainly use the Palomar knot also, especially with braid.
Neither had I, fluorocarbon, took my time, moistened knot...but it happened. I tie this knot all the time usually with no issue but big fish can find your weakest link. Never had this issue before but it cost me several big fish. Maybe it was a vertical thing with heavy pressure, never had the problem surfcasting for big fish. Still I feel safer using the Palomar jigging for lake trout. The Palomar knot is very strong and has out performed the clinch in break tests. I still use the clinch (swivel)but at my jig head I want the strongest knot as this is where the most pressure is applied when fighting the fish.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.