Author Topic: My buddy went ice fishing in Minnesota and got skunked  (Read 1468 times)

Offline Bobber Bob

• IceShanty Rookie
 A couple of friends went out to Minnesota during the Super Bowl and went ice fishing. They got skunked. Is New Hampshire the best state in the country to ice fish?

Offline bikrsrule

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: My buddy went ice fishing in Minnesota and got skunked
« Reply #1 on: Mar 02, 2018, 01:18 AM »
I have fished Lake Champlain in VT and always did awesome, much better than I ever did in NH..I dont think a couple guys getting skunked in a 1 day event really counts..

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 02, 2018, 06:01 AM »
What are we fishing for?

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Mar 02, 2018, 06:13 AM »
A couple of friends went out to Minnesota during the Super Bowl and went ice fishing. They got skunked. Is New Hampshire the best state in the country to ice fish?

It's fishing, if you want guaranteed fish, Minneapolis offers a wide range of grocery stores where all kinds of species are available for purchase 7 days a week.
Maybe they didn't know what they are doing....?

Offline Hess

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 02, 2018, 09:46 AM »
During my corporate days, we lived for a few years in Minnesota ('Land of 10,000 Lakes') -- great quality of life and some awesome fishing overall...!!  Minnesota is particularly known for its high quality Walleye fishery (which is also the State fish) -- some schools still close on the Walleye opener each spring!  Also many great trout streams in the southeastern bluff country (so-called 'drift-less' region) -- many spring/limestone creeks, as well as lots of pike and bass opportunities in it's 10,000 plus lakes and rivers...!  In the bluff country, during the fall, you could spend half the day fly fishing down in the valley creeks and the other half shooting wild pheasants in the cultivated land on top of the bluffs...!!

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOATBOYS WISCONSIN CHAPTER 1st Wisconsin goat!!
« Reply #5 on: Mar 02, 2018, 09:53 AM »
During my corporate days, we lived for a few years in Minnesota ('Land of 10,000 Lakes') -- great quality of life and some awesome fishing overall.

Wisconsin has more lakes than Minnesota. 15,074 lakes to be exact. It is true cuz it's on the internet.

HIMO
It's not how deep you fish, but how you wiggle your worm !!!

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 02, 2018, 11:59 AM »
Curious to know which MN  schools close for the walleye opener? Season opener has started at midnight Friday night, on the weekend that is 2 weeks before the memorial day weekend. quite often mothers day weekend. Been so since 1989.

Offline Hess

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 02, 2018, 04:21 PM »
Curious to know which MN  schools close for the walleye opener? Season opener has started at midnight Friday night, on the weekend that is 2 weeks before the memorial day weekend. quite often mothers day weekend. Been so since 1989.

I lived there in the early 90s in the Stillwater area (no kids in school then) -- not sure what the Walleye opener was prior to 1989, but I was told this by a number of the locals that I worked with at the time (my impression always, was that it was up in the northern part of state where many of these folks had cabins...)?  Perhaps it was just local lore trying to impress a non-native Minnesotan...!

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 02, 2018, 04:40 PM »
I lived there in the early 90s in the Stillwater area (no kids in school then) -- not sure what the Walleye opener was prior to 1989, but I was told this by a number of the locals that I worked with at the time (my impression always, was that it was up in the northern part of state where many of these folks had cabins...)?  Perhaps it was just local lore trying to impress a non-native Minnesotan...!
.    Thinking it might have been local lore, but??  Only thing I'm seeing before 1989 was the opener was on the weekend closest to May 15th.  Minnesotans would never tell a fish story would we??

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.