Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Big Creek  (Read 89168 times)

Offline dancinjig

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Big Creek
« Reply #90 on: Feb 04, 2011, 03:06 PM »
Ya know, am I the only one on here that thinks fishing BC is a total waste of time??? Why doesn't the DNR do something about this craphole and release some more toothy fish into it? This lake needs way more Northern and a lot stricter regs on length limits or a slot for Walleyes. Without that, this lake will just turn into a bigger piece of garbage than it already is.

Hmm.  They stocked Walleye in it last October.  I think there is a keep slot from 15" - 20" on walleye.  Correct me if I'm wrong.  Not sure on the Northerns.  I do know they tagged some walleye in the "legal" slot length that they are offering cash reward for a phone call, so I'm guessing they are trying to track growth on that (and previous) stockings.  On the other hand always seeing a lot of cigars there.

Offline crappiiguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #91 on: Feb 04, 2011, 03:24 PM »
Ya know, am I the only one on here that thinks fishing BC is a total waste of time??? Why doesn't the DNR do something about this craphole and release some more toothy fish into it? This lake needs way more Northern and a lot stricter regs on length limits or a slot for Walleyes. Without that, this lake will just turn into a bigger piece of garbage than it already is.

Wow,  tell us how you really feel ;D    I usually do pretty good on Big creek but I target crappies.   I didn't expect great fishing last nite after the front we had go through,  but I had the itch to go.   As for the walleyes,  I wish the drn would stock more central Iowa lakes like they do big creek.  Walleyes are a put and take resource around here and Big creek gets alot of pressure.

Offline crappiiguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #92 on: Feb 04, 2011, 05:31 PM »
You are right Jig, there is that 15-20 slot on BC. They do need to start stocking more walleye in other lakes around here. More northern too. Instead of dredging out a lake to get rid of a high shad population, why not add some northern to the lakes with those problems. Why practically kill off a lake just for one nusance fish? Our lakes are plenty big enough, deep enough, and have enough foreage for these toothy critters to be able to grow and not do damage to any other fish in there. Big Creek used to be an awesome fishery UNTIL they killed it off trying to get all the shad out. That was just dumb and BC will never be what it used to be. I'm glad guys are still fishing it, that leaves the other surrounding lakes open to explore. I'm sure there's plenty of nice fish still left in BC, but to sit out there for 2 and a half hours and catch 2 crappie and one small walleye? Yeah, that just sounds unadventerous to me. Here's a bold statement; I would rather fish Moffit Reservoir before I'd fish Big Crap!  :o

I enjoy being on the ice,  usually I catch fish..  Once in a while its not so good.  Thats fishing.   They did do some super stocking at big creek to try to control the shad.  They were also considering killing off big creek,  but they didnt have to do it... The shad winter killed.   Good luck at Moffit!!!   Post some pics of the walleyes and northerns you catch,   I love pics ;D

Offline c.r.rick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fishing and hunting ducks and bucks
« Reply #93 on: Feb 04, 2011, 07:27 PM »
hey bruiser there are musky in the lake and the problem with your thoughts is that pike and musky dont really go for shad its more cats and bass forage.  pike and musky prefer shiners and gills.  shad are really oily and pike just dont go for them much.  you can debate that with me all day but i grew up in minnesota and we fished for lots of pike and musky there and i could never get the pike to go for the shad i use to put out.  only used it cuz it was easy to get but suckers and shiners were the best so i dont think the toothy critters would cure the shad problems but i agree i'd like to see more lakes in the central part of the state stocked with more pike.
early to bed early to rise fish like h.e.l.l. and think up lies.

Offline TRCrappie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #94 on: Feb 04, 2011, 08:25 PM »
Would agree with the statement that they should stock other lakes around here.  Am all for it.  They don't seem to know where all the walleyes are going in big creek so they put more in.  Good thinking.  Why not try in some of the lakes like ahquabi, hickory grove, or any of the other lakes around here.  The fishing on Big Creek must be good though with all the people who fish their.

Offline c.r.rick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fishing and hunting ducks and bucks
« Reply #95 on: Feb 04, 2011, 09:12 PM »
in the state of iowa the dnr will only stock lakes with walleyes is the lake is over 600 acres.  and i believe they think the walleyes they have stocked there are going over the spill way
early to bed early to rise fish like h.e.l.l. and think up lies.

Offline Russbone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #96 on: Feb 05, 2011, 09:07 AM »
Let me know when you find a better fishery than Big Creek in central Iowa Bruiser. Good luck at Moffit, maybe try Badger while you are down there and see how that goes.  ::)

Offline drewgills

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #97 on: Feb 05, 2011, 12:51 PM »
no prob here with bc you cant go there and expect  to set up on the same brush and do great.if you have a flasher move around and you will find fish
Hard charger !

Offline rawfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If you smell me cookn you know I'm catchn
« Reply #98 on: Feb 05, 2011, 04:46 PM »
I rule big creek! lol.

Offline icemelt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #99 on: Feb 06, 2011, 01:49 PM »
hey reht you fish your beer can piles lately? out on big creek?

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
« Reply #100 on: Feb 07, 2011, 08:31 AM »
didn't we ban this smacktard last year about this same time?

Offline 0U812

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #101 on: Feb 07, 2011, 04:18 PM »
didn't we ban this smacktard last year about this same time?
Yep sure did... :P

Offline toothfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #102 on: Feb 08, 2011, 01:01 PM »
B C can be challenging.... I have been told to bring my A game when ice fishing this lake. 
All those mouths to feed. Not sure a release slot (like IGL) wouldn't work better. 
Hope there isn't any shad showing up in Big Creek!!

"Central Iowa Anglers"

Offline Rehtnug185vx

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • what do you mean I got too much stuff?!?):
« Reply #103 on: Feb 10, 2011, 06:03 PM »
hey there melt.  great to hear from you.  ya the fish have been bitting well out at the crap all year.  my freezer is getting pretty full.  yes some of the brush piles along with the homemade structures have been producing consistantly just like in the past.  dont be a stranger.  you picked up any new toys lately?  that bar i got for my homelite has been working great.   :) :) :) :)
SHAPPELL   STRIKEMASTER   MARCUM

Offline dancinjig

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #104 on: Feb 14, 2011, 12:48 PM »
Hello white bass and perch.  HMM interesting.  First ones of the year there for me.

Offline Rehtnug185vx

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • what do you mean I got too much stuff?!?):
« Reply #105 on: Feb 17, 2011, 01:23 PM »
Any news on the conditions of the ice?  Haven't been out since last Friday night.  Is there even any left?  ::) ::)
SHAPPELL   STRIKEMASTER   MARCUM

Offline Russbone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #106 on: Feb 17, 2011, 07:58 PM »
I plan to be there tomorrow night... I'm guessing there will still be some good ice. Gonna be a sloppy mess. I'll let you know how we do.

Offline snokyguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #107 on: Feb 18, 2011, 09:43 AM »
Ice is thick. little hard to get on, but nearly 2 feet of thickness out there. the wind made it VERY rough to walk on, so wear spikes. 4wheelers are fine, but you'll wanna drive slow. watch out for other people's holes as they aren't freezing back up, put my leg through one last night. ouch.

Offline drewgills

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #108 on: Feb 18, 2011, 12:50 PM »
was there wed  1 to midnight gill were fussy but at night crappie a bit more aggressive  still  thick but the edge will suffer badly  with wind be safe all
Hard charger !

Offline rawfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #109 on: Feb 20, 2011, 07:47 AM »
If anyone is out on the lake today can you give me the ice conditions. I am thinking about going out tonight. Thanks

Offline tricohatch

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Big Creek (ice conditions)
« Reply #110 on: Feb 21, 2011, 09:14 PM »
Hi, I was out on the ice Saturday night the 19th and there was about a foot or more of ice in 35 FOW. It has started to crack around the edge a few feet out from shore though. With the temperatures dropping below freezing now we should be ok for a while longer! Tight Lines Always! Slack is Evil!

Offline rjbreese

• IceShanty Rookie
  • fishing fool
« Reply #111 on: Feb 24, 2011, 08:33 AM »
Went out with the ATV for the afternoon/eve bite on BC last night, suprised that shoreline was actually frozen and there was a good 12'' plus ice thickness..... caught my first white bass on BC, a 14 incher, also picked up a couple dink gills and managed to catch 2-13.5'' walleyes and a handful more of 10''-12''ers. All in all had a great time only second time on BC this season had to come up for which will probably be one of the last times out for me, from Knoxville area and ice conditions down here isnt very good for a fat boy like me, might be back sunday if we dont have a heat wave. Tight lines everyone!!!!!!!!! :o

Offline BigCreekClone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #112 on: Feb 24, 2011, 11:17 AM »
Went out with the ATV for the afternoon/eve bite on BC last night, suprised that shoreline was actually frozen and there was a good 12'' plus ice thickness..... caught my first white bass on BC, a 14 incher, also picked up a couple dink gills and managed to catch 2-13.5'' walleyes and a handful more of 10''-12''ers. All in all had a great time only second time on BC this season had to come up for which will probably be one of the last times out for me, from Knoxville area and ice conditions down here isnt very good for a fat boy like me, might be back sunday if we dont have a heat wave. Tight lines everyone!!!!!!!!! :o

Any hints as to where you were or what you were using?  I was out from about 5:00-7:15 just off of the Williams boat ramp but didn't have much luck.  Marked quite a few but that was about it. 

Offline rjbreese

• IceShanty Rookie
  • fishing fool
« Reply #113 on: Feb 24, 2011, 01:32 PM »

Any hints as to where you were or what you were using?  I was out from about 5:00-7:15 just off of the Williams boat ramp but didn't have much luck.  Marked quite a few but that was about it. 
  jiggin a fiskas w/small minnow, on one then a minnow on a red hook on my dead stick rod......mostly caught them jiggin right off bottom in 24 FOW had to coax them up to the point where they would turn back to bottom then they would follow it up and seemed like when they followed it up i had to quit jiggin they wanted it still to hit it, heck i lost more reelin them up than i got through the hole, i was straight out North i believe of the East boat ramp off of the jetty out by the old road bed, i was the ATV with tracks, hope this helps, i hardly ever do any good on BC but i think it was just a lucky night????????

Offline rjbreese

• IceShanty Rookie
  • fishing fool
« Reply #114 on: Feb 24, 2011, 01:35 PM »
What's the ice look like out there at Robert's Creek? You been over there to check that out? Was out there last Saturday and there was still about 10 inches of ice. Just not sure what it's going to look like this weekend. Thought about trying it out again.
I have not been over to Roberts Creek in a couple weeks, sorry cant be of more help, i never have much luck there either? this season caught alot of crappie there but none over 11''

Offline rawfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #115 on: Feb 27, 2011, 06:46 AM »
Heading out tonight. Was wondering how the bite was last night if anyone was out.

Offline tricohatch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #116 on: Feb 27, 2011, 11:01 AM »
I was out Thursday night until about 11. The bite was OK as usual from about 4pm on. Orange,red and chartreuse vertical glow jigs tipped with small minnows. Marked fish in about 35 FOW out from the Williams boat ramp I caught a few dinks (walleyes) and 7 crappies 9-10 inchers. I find when the bite slows, lower a rattling glow spoon down with a minnow head or tail on one of the hooks and jig it as it descends to the bottom. Watch your locator carefully and you will see the fish come in and come up off the bottom to check it out.  I might see you out there! Tight lines always. SLACK IS EVIL!

Offline icemelt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #117 on: Mar 03, 2011, 05:30 PM »
ice is still plenty thick!!!!!! i drove on it today with my 1 ton dually diesel with both tanks full  !!!!  hell it will be good till april it always is!! no need to check just drive on out there youll be fine! i always drive on 3 inches of ice!!!!!! :o

Offline anderson_dc

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #118 on: Mar 03, 2011, 09:26 PM »
ice is still plenty thick!!!!!! i drove on it today with my 1 ton dually diesel with both tanks full  !!!!  hell it will be good till april it always is!! no need to check just drive on out there youll be fine! i always drive on 3 inches of ice!!!!!! :o

What part of that is supposed to be funny? ???

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
« Reply #119 on: Mar 06, 2011, 08:22 AM »
Ahhh, the mind of a meth-head. It can never be understood by anyone other than themselves. Get a life dude.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.