Author Topic: Burbot and glow lights?  (Read 9075 times)

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Burbot and glow lights?
« on: Feb 06, 2010, 06:09 PM »
So I am going Burbot fishing up here in Alaska. I have caught burbot before on the lake we are going to.
We normaly set lines and leave them overnight witch is legal where we will be at.
My question is has anybidy tried using Glowsticks tied on their line for burbot? I have a bunch of glow bracelets in assorted colors I could try. The are the chemicaly activated ones. Bend them to break the inner tube and they stay lit for 8 hours or so.
 I was thinking I could use rubberbands to secure to my lines. I was just thinking we might improve our catch rate or get some bigger ones. Biggest we have caught previously was only 2.75# but have heard there are a few up to 10# in this lake.
Our lines will be set on the bottom per the local regs. Should I put them on the vertical line or on the bottom?
Any thoughts?
Thanks Chris
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
Re: Burbot and glow lights?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2010, 07:46 PM »
Chris
Get some of these in the 7" size Chartreuse and the blue/black, tip them with a chunk of herring and go jigging. The BC boys do real well jigging up burbies.   ;)2

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=138918.0

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2010, 08:22 AM »
Thanks Drifter. I have caught plenty of Burbot on this lake before just nothing of any real size.
It seems though we catch similiar sized fish as others who fish there. I have heard the biggest to come out of this lake was 10#
I just thought if glow jigs work so well why not glow sticks that last for hours?
Anyone tried this?
KasilofChrisN

Offline bigmike7272

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2010, 03:51 PM »
i've tried glow sticks while smelting through the ice here in michigan they didn't work so good i think the cold water turns them off, this stands to reason because if you want to save them if they still have a few hours left we toss them in the freezer, so if yours some how, some way stay lit in the water they will propably work great.

Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember some of it. Involve me and I will have lifetime knowledge.

-Anomymous

Offline Thumber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Sunset on Merrymeeting Lake 3/18/09
« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2010, 04:06 PM »
So I am going Burbot fishing up here in Alaska. I have caught burbot before on the lake we are going to.
We normaly set lines and leave them overnight witch is legal where we will be at.
My question is has anybidy tried using Glowsticks tied on their line for burbot? I have a bunch of glow bracelets in assorted colors I could try. The are the chemicaly activated ones. Bend them to break the inner tube and they stay lit for 8 hours or so.
 I was thinking I could use rubberbands to secure to my lines. I was just thinking we might improve our catch rate or get some bigger ones. Biggest we have caught previously was only 2.75# but have heard there are a few up to 10# in this lake.
Our lines will be set on the bottom per the local regs. Should I put them on the vertical line or on the bottom?
Any thoughts?
Thanks Chris

We had the same question on our NH Board, another member sent an email to our Fish & Game Dept. asking about glow sticks. Here is what they had to say.

"I would say your interpretation is correct.  The purpose of a glow stick is to emit light...which would be just as much an attractant as any other type of "light".  I don't think it would do much for cusk fishing anyway since they operate primarily by smell and not sight."

Sincerely,

Lt. Robert Bryant
Hosted New England Outdoors New Hampshire Fishing Show 1989 to 1994.

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2010, 05:29 PM »
Thanks guys.
 I just thought since many people swear by glow painted lures this might work.
I know they shut off when you freeze them but thought since the bottom of the lake is 39 deg or so they might last a while. Since they are small and easy to transport I might haul some up anyway just to try.
KasilofChrisN

Offline bigmike7272

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 07, 2010, 08:48 PM »
Well that's the best way to find out if they will work is to try it. good luck hope they work for ya

Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember some of it. Involve me and I will have lifetime knowledge.

-Anomymous

Offline PikeSticker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Another day at the office~!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 08, 2010, 07:12 AM »
I've used 3 inch to 6 inch luma sticks out halibut fishing at night in Tutka Bay in mid summer and even with the ocean temps in the mid 40's the sticks "died on the vine" in that temperature of water. Was very disappointed with their results since they were touted as being "very effective on halibut long lines in the commercial fishery." You might make up a bowl of ice water and drop one in and set it in the fridge for a bit and see what happens. Although its a "cold light" chemical process I don't think it really likes the cold~!  ;)
~~~ Keep your powder dry and your nose to the wind~!  Even a stopped clock is right twice a day~!

Offline trfishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish On
« Reply #8 on: Feb 12, 2010, 09:35 PM »
Hey I live way out in Wyoming and my son caught a 32" burbot last year and hes only 5yrs old and now is the proud owner of a burbot on the wall with the other fish we have and he loves it.  It was just over 8lbs.   

I make my own custom plastic tube jigs and curly tails that we use for burbot, trout etc.  We catch everyone of ours on my superglow baits and a piece of suckermeat.   They say there eye sight is very poor but we catch 100% more burbot from 10" to 35" off of glow in the dark baits with a small piece of bait.  We can use glow baits but cant use any under water lights or glow sticks as they are illegal here.    I dont see why they wouldnt work fishing for burbot.   Each lake is different for sure but around here all our lakes we fish for burbot we use glow in the dark baits.  Just bounce them off of the bottom or let them sit but keep a close eye on your pole at night

http://s255.photobucket.com/albums/hh148/trfishin/?action=view&current=IMG_3749.jpg

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh148/trfishin/IMG_3784.jpg lake trout at night like my baits to  hope the links to my pictures work on here from photobucket

Love to Fish and make Soft Plastic baits<br /><br />Just doesnt get any better than catching fish off your own panfish/ trout baits   from tubes, curly tails, and small baits catching fish of any species

Offline Bill Dance

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Remember, always keep both hands on your rod!
« Reply #9 on: Mar 14, 2010, 06:12 PM »
Hey I live way out in Wyoming and my son caught a 32" burbot last year and hes only 5yrs old and now is the proud owner of a burbot on the wall with the other fish we have and he loves it.  It was just over 8lbs.   

I make my own custom plastic tube jigs and curly tails that we use for burbot, trout etc.  We catch everyone of ours on my superglow baits and a piece of suckermeat.   They say there eye sight is very poor but we catch 100% more burbot from 10" to 35" off of glow in the dark baits with a small piece of bait.  We can use glow baits but cant use any under water lights or glow sticks as they are illegal here.    I dont see why they wouldnt work fishing for burbot.   Each lake is different for sure but around here all our lakes we fish for burbot we use glow in the dark baits.  Just bounce them off of the bottom or let them sit but keep a close eye on your pole at night

http://s255.photobucket.com/albums/hh148/trfishin/?action=view&current=IMG_3749.jpg

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh148/trfishin/IMG_3784.jpg lake trout at night like my baits to  hope the links to my pictures work on here from photobucket

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.