Author Topic: Treble hooks for crappie  (Read 7429 times)

Offline sightfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • There's a method to my madness!
Treble hooks for crappie
« on: Jan 20, 2008, 12:48 PM »
My favorite way and the best way Ive found to catch BIG Crappie consistently through the ice is with treble hooks. I dead stick w/ a minnow and a small split shot. The key to this method is finding size 18 trebles preferably gold. They are very tiny and hard to tie onto your line, but well worth it. If I'm targeting big specks this is the only way I fish. When I want small eaters I jig for them w/a small tear drop and spikes. I do good and usually get plenty of gills too. Hook the treble through the minnows back and let it set above the fish on your flasher, I usually set it 4-5 ft above crappie, they will come get it when they are ready. Let them hit it a couple of times, resist the urge to grab the rod. I grab it on the third tap and 95% of the time I get them. I have caught a lot of nice crappie this way, especially when the bite is slow. Plenty of 13-14" ers. My best being 14 1/2", which is a good size for our area. I learned this technique from a guy who has caught them as big as 16".  Good luck and give it a try sometime when the bite gets slow.
"Oh honey don't worry ice fishing season is almost over"     Oh Yeah, then we got steelhead, then bass, then big lake salmon, then fall river salmon........etc.
 "As fish go through the water colume, so do the days of our lives".

Offline purduebass

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Treble hooks for crappie
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2008, 12:04 AM »
I'll have to give it a try.  Thanks for the info. 
BOILER UP!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline shortyonice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2008, 11:50 AM »
A guy I worked with just told me about this trick, kind of found it a wierd idea, but I guess I might have to try it too. thanks

Offline fiesty

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 02, 2008, 09:12 PM »
We use trebles on the wind jacks when we set them up...we only screw with live bait when the fish are scattered, mostly just to zone back in on them, but I've used trebles with my live bait for nearly fifteen years, and you are right 95% of the time you get em...the other 5% your buddy loses em...love the trebles though...
It's all about Karma.....

Offline prosalmonking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 23, 2010, 09:51 PM »
My favorite way and the best way Ive found to catch BIG Crappie consistently through the ice is with treble hooks. I dead stick w/ a minnow and a small split shot. The key to this method is finding size 18 trebles preferably gold. They are very tiny and hard to tie onto your line, but well worth it. If I'm targeting big specks this is the only way I fish. When I want small eaters I jig for them w/a small tear drop and spikes. I do good and usually get plenty of gills too. Hook the treble through the minnows back and let it set above the fish on your flasher, I usually set it 4-5 ft above crappie, they will come get it when they are ready. Let them hit it a couple of times, resist the urge to grab the rod. I grab it on the third tap and 95% of the time I get them. I have caught a lot of nice crappie this way, especially when the bite is slow. Plenty of 13-14" ers. My best being 14 1/2", which is a good size for our area. I learned this technique from a guy who has caught them as big as 16".  Good luck and give it a try sometime when the bite gets slow.

i do the same with my minnows i jus let the crappies take the slip bobber under the ice n then set the hook n i always hook up

Offline deerme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 24, 2010, 06:41 AM »
here in NH it's illegal to use ANY type of bait on a treble hook...  :( >:(

Offline Pork

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 24, 2010, 11:59 AM »
I always keep a rod rigged exactly this way....#18 treble....they're like Velcro...stick to EVERYTHING!

agree 100%.

PULLS SLABS. ;D
If you ever get hit with a bucket of fish, be sure to close your eyes. ;)

Offline fish4kitty

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Frabill Trekker 2
« Reply #7 on: Mar 02, 2010, 08:11 PM »
It took me til yesterday to find these itty bitty trebles. #18 but they only had bronze. Not gold. Going to be trying them this week on my dead stick. Thanks for the tip. Good heavens are these things small.
Having a crappie day and loving it!

Offline prosalmonking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 02, 2010, 09:17 PM »
It took me til yesterday to find these itty bitty trebles. #18 but they only had bronze. Not gold. Going to be trying them this week on my dead stick. Thanks for the tip. Good heavens are these things small.

have fun lol i also will get as small as 22 if u can find them n u end up with a lot of holes in ur finger but u will up ur catch ratio good luck

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #9 on: Mar 03, 2010, 06:40 PM »
I have less luck with trebles size 16 and smaller.  Not entirely sure what it is, but I think there's not enough hook.  I lose them when they bump up onto the ice.  Size 12 or 14 are what works for me. 
For more information read my MN nice journal

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.