Author Topic: Whose making the best suit in 2014?  (Read 4695 times)

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
Whose making the best suit in 2014?
« on: Sep 29, 2014, 01:40 PM »
Looking to upgrade my Arctic Armor suit this year, to be honest my AA suit was great.. but, I lost a pile of weight and my old one is way too big and I'm looking for something a little more "fitted".

I can live without flotation but it would nice as I start my ice season in November, it needs to be wind/water proof, reinforced knees would be nice, insulted and warm is a must.. basically I'm looking for the best as I do close to 100 days on the ice per year.

What are the options looking like for 2014?

Cheers!!  :tipup:

Layne
"your like a Perez Hilton of the ice fishing blogging world" - dreamcatcher

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
Re: Whose making the best suit in 2014?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 29, 2014, 02:46 PM »
I dunno, this is sorta like asking who makes the best truck. It depends on need, price, construction materials etc. Personally, I own a Striker suit, but have to say the suit I use the most is my Gore-Tex. I honestly believe that layering combined with a good Gore-Tex shell makes for excellent breath ability, waterproofing and a wind break. You can always go a size larger to ensure layering for warmth.

Mine is a Gander Mtn suit, but there's all kinds of companies that make them. If I went outside GM, I'd probably be in Cabelas Guide Wear.

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #2 on: Sep 29, 2014, 03:59 PM »
Which striker do you own and what don't you like about it? That's currently my top pick.

Main usage is walleye fishing in temperatures that get as low as -40.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Sep 29, 2014, 04:51 PM »
  I own a Striker suit, but have to say the suit I use the most is my Gore-Tex. I honestly believe that layering combined with a good Gore-Tex shell makes for excellent breath ability, waterproofing and a wind break. You can always go a size larger to ensure layering for warmth.
Mine is a Gander Mtn suit, but there's all kinds of companies that make them. If I went outside GM, I'd probably be in Cabelas Guide Wear.
Which striker do you own and what don't you like about it? That's currently my top pick.

I am interested in 52s response
I just got the Striker Ice Climate ...at the end of last season ..didn't get to use it yet
I have the Clam blue suit 5 seasons now..I like it ..but wanted a flotation suit for early/late ice ...and the Climate fits the bill plus last winter was quite bitter so the added warmth is a big plus with its removable liners .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline quailman2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Sep 29, 2014, 05:40 PM »
I wear the stryker hardwater and I love it. Its very warm. Nothing compares to this suit.

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #5 on: Sep 30, 2014, 10:52 AM »
Our local shop is bringing in some striker suits for mid October so I plan on checking them out first hand, I hope they live up to the hype!

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #6 on: Sep 30, 2014, 12:05 PM »

Main usage is walleye fishing in temperatures that get as low as -40.

I have the Hardwater bibs and the Climate 3-1 parka. Love the parka because it's a 3-1 and I can use all of it or some of it. The bib's I like too, plenty of pockets, adjustable, awesome for cold, cold weather like you're going to use it for. The only really downside to these suits is the bulkiness. My Gore-Tex is much lighter and I normally wear it when the weather is warmer and when I know I'm moving around more. The trade off with the Striker is bulkiness for safety because the Striker is a floating suit.

If you're going to be in -40 temps, you'd love the Striker suit.

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #7 on: Sep 30, 2014, 01:02 PM »
I have the Hardwater bibs and the Climate 3-1 parka. Love the parka because it's a 3-1 and I can use all of it or some of it. The bib's I like too, plenty of pockets, adjustable, awesome for cold, cold weather like you're going to use it for. The only really downside to these suits is the bulkiness. My Gore-Tex is much lighter and I normally wear it when the weather is warmer and when I know I'm moving around more. The trade off with the Striker is bulkiness for safety because the Striker is a floating suit.

If you're going to be in -40 temps, you'd love the Striker suit.

2X Striker all the way I have the climate suit but wish I got the hardwater bibs the liner in the climate bibs is a pain in the a$$. Love the coat though I wear it as my winter coat.
"Problem solving is hunting. It is savage pleasure and we are born to do it."
Thomas Harris

Offline moneypit2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Sep 30, 2014, 01:25 PM »
STRIKER all the way

Offline jchunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Oct 05, 2014, 11:10 PM »
I have the Striker Hardwater suit. Been using it the last two years. I think it's just awesome. I'm never cold or wet. I would buy it again.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #10 on: Oct 06, 2014, 06:56 PM »
Striker hard water, best suit made and it floats!!!! 

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #11 on: Oct 31, 2014, 04:37 PM »
For anyone that cares.. I finally got a chance to try on all the one's I hadn't seen yet and I settled on the Striker! Its awesome, SUPER warm and seems like it is very well built. Maybe overkill  for the southern ice belt guys but it should work great up here. I'll post a report once I've actually had it out on the ice in a couple weeks.  :tipup: :tipup:

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Oct 31, 2014, 06:14 PM »
For anyone that cares.. I finally got a chance to try on all the one's I hadn't seen yet and I settled on the Striker! Its awesome, SUPER warm and seems like it is very well built. Maybe overkill  for the southern ice belt guys but it should work great up here. I'll post a report once I've actually had it out on the ice in a couple weeks.  :tipup: :tipup:

Which Striker suit did you decide on?
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 01, 2014, 01:37 PM »
Purchased my climate bibs from pro fishing for a killer discount this fall. Sale is over tho'...
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #14 on: Nov 03, 2014, 08:59 AM »
Which Striker suit did you decide on?

I opted for the grey and black "hard water" suit without the zipable liner! I've never been a fan of liners in jackets and if I need to shed a layer I will simply take the coat off to cool down. Our weather here is so extreme that either I will need my suit on or I wont need it at all, I feel like I will be using the shack a lot less with this new suit so hopefully its money well spent!

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 24, 2014, 07:40 PM »
eh bud sorry i missed this thread...i bought the hardwater bibs the year they came out and loved em.  only issue was getting my leg too close to the mr heater!  you would never think they float considering how comfortable they are - compared to AA, mustang.

also gotta love the james bond style beerverage holder. 

good purchase and nice to see pokeys bringing in some great stuff.

Offline tswoboda

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 25, 2014, 01:47 PM »
you would never think they float considering how HEAVY they are - compared to AA.
Fixed that for ya   ;)  Just my personal observation.

I went from AA to the Striker Hardwater and there are a few immediate differences I noticed.
#1 is the weight - Striker HW is noticeably heavier/bulkier.
#2 is the fabric - Striker HW feels and appears much more rugged which hopefully equates to more durable.
#3 is the zippers - Striker zippers are smaller and require the use of 2 hands or they bind.  AA could easily be zipped/unzipped with 1 hand, and they also "felt" cheaper but I never had a problem with them in 7 years of use.

After 7 years my AA bibs were completely shot.  I needed new ones and went with Striker for 2 reasons.  #1 I wanted another floating suit, and #2 they were by far the cheapest option at the time.

Offline tswoboda

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Nov 26, 2014, 10:48 AM »
So I did some checking last night of my weight statements for Striker vs AA and it turns out I was right.  There are some variables like suit size and age but for the exact suits I own here are the comparisons.  Weights were taken with a Rapala electronic fish scale measuring to the nearest .01 kg.

Arctic Armour original red floating, size MEDIUM bibs and parka, 7 years old
Striker Hardwater floating, size SMALL bibs and parka, 6 months old
Striker LITE floating, size SMALL bibs, 6 months old

The Hardwater parka is 61% HEAVIER than the AA parka
The Hardwater bibs are 37% HEAVIER than the AA bibs
The LITE bibs are 7% LIGHTER than the AA bibs

Again the AA is size medium and the Striker is size small, I think it's fair to say size medium Hardwater would be even more drastically heavier than the AA in a direct size comparison.
The Striker LITE bibs are as advertised... Light!   ;D

Offline carcus1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Nov 27, 2014, 06:31 AM »
I have both striker climate and AA suits, the striker is bulky and heavy, but seems to be built of better materials, the AA suit seems to be slightly warmer, bought the striker because my AA bibs were done, crotch blew out after 4 seasons of only icefishing!
Ladywood, Manitoba, Canada

Offline Bucket Brigade

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wait...I have a bite
« Reply #19 on: Dec 02, 2014, 06:43 PM »
Striker Predator "ALL...THE...WAY"
When there is ice on the lakes, I never make employee of the month!

Offline tswoboda

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 03, 2014, 01:09 PM »
I have both striker climate and AA suits, the striker is bulky and heavy, but seems to be built of better materials, the AA suit seems to be slightly warmer, bought the striker because my AA bibs were done, crotch blew out after 4 seasons of only icefishing!
Same here, except my AA bibs are toast after 7 years of ice fishing, with a little bit of use for hunting and work thrown in.

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Dec 06, 2014, 02:10 AM »
Too bad Carhart doesn't make something more suited to ice fishing. I bought my Carhart Arctic bibs and coat in 2000. 15 years of hunting, fishing, and working in a rail yard! Now that's durability! They are pretty razzled now and due for replacement. I am interested in the Arctic Armor but from what I'm reading, no sure I want to spend that kind of money on them. If Carhart made a flotation suit, there would be no competition.
May ol man winter blow a cool breeze up your shorts!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.