Author Topic: Burbot Spawning Times  (Read 3028 times)

Offline Bushwhack Jack

• Team IceShanty Regular
Burbot Spawning Times
« on: Feb 24, 2021, 12:47 PM »
Hey Guys,

I thought a good idea for a thread would be to ask guys to share their observations/opinions about different spawning times for burbot throughout the state.  I know there is a lot of variation depending on location.  So these are the different locations that I can think of.  If you have fished for burbot at any of these locations during the spawning period and noticed active spawning burbot, just say what time of year it was.

Big Lake
Long Lake (Mile 86)
Tributaries of the Big Su
Tanana River
Lake Louise
Susitna Lake
Tyone Lake
Ewan Lake
Crosswind Lake
Paxson Lake

And of course any other locations that I failed to mention.  I just tried to list the most common places I have heard people fishing for burbot.

Offline Bushwhack Jack

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Burbot Spawning Times
« Reply #1 on: Feb 24, 2021, 08:09 PM »
Surely I am not the only one on here that has watched burbot spawn.  Don't need to spill the names of spots fellas, just asking for timing mostly.  It seems like Fish and Game don't really know themselves, so I figured for educational purposes it would be interesting to here what actual observations in the field from experienced ice fisherman would look like.

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 24, 2021, 09:21 PM »
I guess I could pipe in.  From everything that I’ve read on spawning burbot, specifically in Canada because Canadians actually care about their old fish that are easily susceptible to over harvest, it all has to do with water temperature.  In my observations the full moon spurs more burbot activity than the new moon all year long.  I think that the spawn coincides with a full moon during the right water temp but I could be wrong but from what I’ve witnessed the most active spawning burbot happened during a full moon cycle all day and all night for about 3-4 days.  I witnessed spawning behavior for several days either side of the actual spawn but only in that short window did I see actual eggs and milt being released.  In my opinion there is no set day that spawning occurs it can happen based on a number of factors.  I also believe that like lake trout burbot are biannual spawners based on individual fish that I have been able to identify from their markings.  One fish comes to mind and I saw her every other year and the last time I saw her she was pushing the scales at around 16 pounds.  I think that as a general rule of thumb that March is the month to start putting in some hours in front of the caveman tv.
I was born an Alaskan I just didn't live here at the time.

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 24, 2021, 09:27 PM »
I would also like to add that probably only a small handful of people have witnessed actual spawning burbot due to the locations they spawn and the time it requires to actually see it happening.  Maybe one of these days F@G will actually listen to me when I tell them that spawning fish need to be protected but what do I know I’m just some guy that never finished his degree.

Offline Bushwhack Jack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 25, 2021, 12:59 AM »
I would also like to add that probably only a small handful of people have witnessed actual spawning burbot due to the locations they spawn and the time it requires to actually see it happening.  Maybe one of these days F@G will actually listen to me when I tell them that spawning fish need to be protected but what do I know I’m just some guy that never finished his degree.

Oh, don't cut yourself short AKhardwater.  You don't give yourself enough credit.  You know a lot about the fisheries and I've learned a ton hanging around you bro.  I was going to mention your name when I wrote this thread but I didn't want to put you one the spot in case you didn't want to share your experiences.  Thanks for chiming in.  Your insight is invaluable in my opinion and I for one wish the Fur, Fish and Feathers would listen to reason and guys with experience in the field like yourself.

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 25, 2021, 09:36 AM »
Thanks for the kind words BJ, I have no problem sharing my knowledge I just hope that people can respect the resource and be good stewards of the land.  I love burbot they are amazing animals that people just don’t understand.  I mean how many fish can actually stop and then back up. 

Offline Bushwhack Jack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 25, 2021, 11:41 AM »
Thanks for the kind words BJ, I have no problem sharing my knowledge I just hope that people can respect the resource and be good stewards of the land.  I love burbot they are amazing animals that people just don’t understand.  I mean how many fish can actually stop and then back up.

Ha, ha, that's funny.  I always thought that was cool too!  I am gonna start calling them helicopters.  LOL

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.