Author Topic: What electric drill under $200  (Read 1986 times)

Offline MT_mulies

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Aim high, Miss High"
What electric drill under $200
« on: Jul 20, 2019, 06:16 PM »
I'm switching from gas to electric and I'm going the cordless drill route. I just sold my Eskimo. I loved it and it did great, but I have seen and been around the electric drills that I'm going that way. I am turning an 8 inch auger. I drill through about 12-18 inches of ice most of the time. If I was drilling through 24 inches or more consistently I would have stayed with gas. Please no bashing as I really liked my gas one. The electric is just lighter is the main reason I'm switching haha. I'm leaning towards a Ridgid octane. Thanks

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: What electric drill under $200
« Reply #1 on: Jul 20, 2019, 06:50 PM »
You’re going to get a hundred opinions.  My auger of choice is an 8” Nils PowerPoint with a Milwaukee Mud Mixer Head.  2” inches per second, give or take.  It’s a real attention getter around these parts.  We rarely have 18” to cut through though.

DN
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #2 on: Jul 20, 2019, 06:51 PM »
My first season with the octane,clam plate and 8” mora was impressive.cuts 8 to 12” of ice faster than a gas auger.had a few cutouts but it chews ice up.i got the plate so i wouldnt strip or break off the side handle on the drill plus makes it so easy to hold the setup steady.i use the mora because i can get blades anywhere.i did get a mini nero also but that thing cuts so good by hand i havent mounted it to the clam plate yet.

Offline Muggsy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jul 20, 2019, 07:03 PM »
Which 8" auger are you using?
Maybe someday I'll think of something clever to write here...but I doubt it.

Offline Tom1983

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jul 20, 2019, 07:07 PM »
I don’t have one yet, but from what I’ve seen on YouTube tests, the rigid octane and 9.0 ah battery is an awesome combination!  And lifetime warranty is pretty good too!

Offline FishGut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jul 20, 2019, 08:35 PM »
My Rigid ate through ice like nobody's business. Thirty holes one after another through 12-18 inches of ice, day in and day out. Yeah, it cut out a bit when the temps were in the single digits, but it never quit altogether. I'm pleased with the investment
Nebraska certified Fishing Instructor

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jul 20, 2019, 09:56 PM »
Best under $200 imo is the rigid.  I really like the Milwaukee too even at $299. I have that 5ah battery set up to drill holes then run my Marcum 5 if I the game plan for that day calls for quick and light.  Rigid is heavy but it’s a big battery so life is remarkable.  In either case consider the plate. 

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Jul 21, 2019, 08:16 AM »
I would suggest a refurbished/reconditioned Milwaukee 2803 or 2804 ...there are several tool factory outlets that have sales/discount codes from time to time … you can sometimes get them for less then $ 200   ..the Milwaukee drills have been tried and tested for several years now . I started with DeWalts..but eventually switched to a refurbished Milwaukee 2704 w/5 ah batteries when I got the 8" Kdrill. I have no complaints with my refurbished drills ..DeWalt 995 and Milwaukee 2704 and 2804. 

PM sent
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jul 21, 2019, 09:28 AM »
If you wait for a deal, you can get the Milwaukee 2804 kit with 2 batteries for $229ish. I'm glad I went Milwaukee, because I just bought a house and will be sticking with the Milwaukee ecosystem for some of my yard tools that will use the same battery.  That way, I can justify additional 9.0 or even a 12.0AH battery purchase with my old lady  ;D

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #9 on: Jul 21, 2019, 09:45 AM »
My first season with the octane,clam plate and 8” mora was impressive.cuts 8 to 12” of ice faster than a gas auger.had a few cutouts but it chews ice up.i got the plate so i wouldnt strip or break off the side handle on the drill plus makes it so easy to hold the setup steady.i use the mora because i can get blades anywhere.i did get a mini nero also but that thing cuts so good by hand i havent mounted it to the clam plate yet.
Great to hear, I got a mini Nero at the end of last season then we lost the ice so haven’t used it yet.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline tater140

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jul 21, 2019, 12:03 PM »
You will like the mini nero.  I havent put mine on a drill yet either.  I use mine only when i go big water walleye fishing and really dont need to drill a lot of holes.  I like the fact that there is no maintenance or charging, and its lightweight.  it drills 18” of ice relatively easily.  Now if i popped more then 4 or 5 holes when i set down i would have it powered.

Offline papadarv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jul 21, 2019, 07:39 PM »
I went with Milwaukee Fuel both Mud Mxer and 1200 IP 2804. Each were under $200. Mud Mixer like Rigid Octain have a thermo cut off which shut down after 5 or 6 consecutive 15" holes for about 5 min.. Plenty of power but didn't like the stopping. The 2804 on a 9ah battery is awesome drilled 20 holes and still had 3 bars, no stopping. I also made chuckless adapters connected to the ION quick connect. Never loose a drill and don't require a float or plate on my modifier Mora converted hand drills. Over 20" I go back to gas which drills 35" ice in about 17 seconds.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #12 on: Jul 23, 2019, 11:07 AM »
I'm switching from gas to electric and I'm going the cordless drill route. I just sold my Eskimo. I loved it and it did great, but I have seen and been around the electric drills that I'm going that way. I am turning an 8 inch auger. I drill through about 12-18 inches of ice most of the time. If I was drilling through 24 inches or more consistently I would have stayed with gas. Please no bashing as I really liked my gas one. The electric is just lighter is the main reason I'm switching haha. I'm leaning towards a Ridgid octane. Thanks

Milwaukee 1200in/lb
9ah battery
10in mora
8in nils
6in lazer
2gen clam plate

Sold my jiffy model 30

Drill up to 36in of ice 24in pretty common

No issues

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jul 23, 2019, 11:50 AM »
I run a Milwaukee 2704 drill with Nils. Zero pressure needed, no plate needed. Super light and lighting fast.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jul 23, 2019, 08:45 PM »
MillWaukee or rigid with 1300 inch pounds people were haveing problems last year?  with small batteries and the milwaukee and the rigid drills?  i have a 9 ah battery and a 8 inch nils and no problems at all.. same with my 7 inch mora I converted to laser blades no problem.. did have a problem on my 8 inch nils and my small 750 inch pound and a 2 amp battery ..  people using standard laser ans mora's had problems why don't know? Same with some of the kdrill owners?  why no clue? I think it's a saftey feature from too much amperage passing threw a sensor some ware?? I like mine so hay what can you do?

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Jul 26, 2019, 07:55 AM »
There was a video someone posted on here where they tested a few different battery operated drills including Milwaukee and Dewalt and in the end it came down to a toss up between the two of them.  HomeDepot runs sales on both of them pretty regularly and so does Ace Hardware.  I have a few friends who are in construction and it's pretty much a Ford or Chevy thing when you ask them which one they recommend.  I never used this set up before but I know a guy who does and he's using a Milwaukee drill but I'm not sure which model number it is. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.