Author Topic: Panoptix worth the $$$$?  (Read 28810 times)

Offline mackdog75

• Team IceShanty Regular
Panoptix worth the $$$$?
« on: Nov 30, 2018, 07:05 PM »
Not able to find much info on the Garmin Panoptix ice bundle. I’m looking to upgrade this year but I’m just still on the fence. There are a few videos out there but not as many as I expected. Is it cause of the price or still being new? I mostly fish for perch and walleye on the bottom. Anybody have any reviews or personal experience with it? I posted in the electronics section but didn’t get much feedback. Thanks for any info anyone can provide.

Chute82

Re: Panoptix worth the $$$$?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2018, 07:12 PM »
New technology so a high price... seen one last year and will tell you the ability to search for fish is amazing. 

Check out this video

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 30, 2018, 07:42 PM »
Go Livescope if you intend to make the move. Well worth the upgrade.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 30, 2018, 08:14 PM »
Go Livescope if you intend to make the move. Well worth the upgrade.

I'm not convinced livescope is worth the extra weight and power consumption.
OP- I got the PS22 this spring and it's amazing. I used it on my kayak this summer and it was a blast to find fish, cast to them, and watch them interact with the lure on the screen, whether they ate it or not. If you can afford the ice bundle you'll definitely enjoy it. If you want to make your own ice bundle with a bigger screen, you can get the Echomap Plus 93sv with a boat transducer for $649.99 from The GPS Store (https://www.thegpsstore.com/Garmin-ECHOMAP-Plus-93sv-with-Transducer-P5451.aspx) and add the Panoptix Ice Fishing kit at $1,299.99 MSRP (I believe if you call you can get a better price from Ultimate Passage Marine (http://www.ultimatepassage.com/cgi-bin/up/73205.html)) and you'll have a hell of a setup for ice and open water.

Offline FishDSc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 30, 2018, 08:54 PM »
Kayl, how did you mount the transducer on your kayak?  I have the ice bundle and want to use it on my kayak also.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 30, 2018, 09:33 PM »
The extra details shown in livescope is nice, it leaves nothing to interpret. However if you can read a standard sonar screen, the ps-22 seems to make the fish themselves pop out more on the screen. At least in the videos I’ve seen, compared to what I see on my screen when I’m using the ice package in my boat. I just clamp it to my trolling motor shaft, but plan on getting an independent mount for it next year.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Nov 30, 2018, 11:02 PM »
Worth is a matter of personal preference....but if you have the cash lying around they are fun to use!

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 01, 2018, 07:04 AM »
Worth is a matter of personal preference....but if you have the cash lying around they are fun to use!

I just spent a day wandering around the St. Paul Ice Fishing Show. The floor was full of various "Ice Castles" which are RV trailers made specifically to pull out on the lake and fish through your living room floor. Kitchens, toilets, showers, beds, televisions...all for only $20,000-$40,000. I didn't get it until I realized that it is actually a very inexpensive cabin with direct lake access and no taxes.

In any case there apparently is a big market for such things and in light of that, a measly $3K for the best fish finder in the world seems VERY reasonable.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline markinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 01, 2018, 07:21 AM »
Kayl, how did you mount the transducer on your kayak?  I have the ice bundle and want to use it on my kayak also.

I started with this RAM handlebar mount, and a section of the Garmin ice transducer mount:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GQCMK8K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It worked okay, but I’m now using a Yakattack switchblade, and like it much better:

https://www.yakattack.us/switchblade-transducer-deployment-arm/

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 01, 2018, 08:05 AM »

I made a pole out of schedule 80 pvc and then used a Ram tough claw, short ram arm, and ram ball.

Here's a picture:

And another:

Offline FishDSc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 01, 2018, 12:13 PM »
Thanks Kayl and Markinohio.  Good ideas.  Now I just need to get out on the ice and use it!  In the spring I'll get to work on mounting it to my kayak.  Thanks again.

Offline mackdog75

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 01, 2018, 12:34 PM »
Wife wants to replace my LX5 and get us the panoptix. I'm so used to the lx5 I'm just not sure. It's deffiently a different machine. Just wish I could find more on ice videos with it.

RallyGreen

« Reply #12 on: Dec 01, 2018, 02:44 PM »

100% agree. It's funny to read folks grouse about this or that being too expensive when really, it is just to expensive for them to justify and worth is totally personal preference

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 01, 2018, 02:51 PM »
Using it As a portable all seasons package makes it much more justifiable. I fish from my friends boat as often as I do my own, so just clamping it to their trolling motor makes it so easy to get full time use out of it.

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 01, 2018, 03:33 PM »
Every toy is a money pit that's hard to justify, I like toys.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 01, 2018, 03:34 PM »
Every toy is a money pit that's hard to justify, I like toys.

And, the bottom line is that some toys are simply better than others.  All toys are NOT created equal.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 01, 2018, 06:07 PM »
Wife wants to replace my LX5 and get us the panoptix. I'm so used to the lx5 I'm just not sure. It's deffiently a different machine. Just wish I could find more on ice videos with it.

She sounds like a wise woman!  ;D

Offline mackdog75

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 01, 2018, 06:38 PM »
100% agree. It's funny to read folks grouse about this or that being too expensive when really, it is just to expensive for them to justify and worth is totally personal preference

Offline mackdog75

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 01, 2018, 06:39 PM »
Affording it and needing are two different things. We can afford it. I’m just wondering if it’s worth it or just pick up a LX7 or LX9 and call it good and still have some cash for other toys.

Offline iceangler8888

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 01, 2018, 07:56 PM »
Hi All,

My group of ice guys has fished these last 5 winters with the LX6, LX7 and LX9.
We didn't get onto the Garmin Panoptix till late last winter and bog was it a game changer in searching a new spot to confirm if fishies were around or not or where.
Let put it this way, if we had to search a new area the size of 2 football fields that none of us had been on before.  With the traditional 7 to 20 degree sonar cones over 28ft to 35ft of water.  we would have easily had to drill 1 hole every 10 yard X 6 lines of holes X 2 football field areas....    That's a total of 10 x 6 x 2 = 120 holes!!!!!!!
Imagine the time and the manpower need just to drill these 120 holes we haven't even got into drop our ducers in the water a looking at our sonar screens yets.  This would have completely consumed 4 hours in total.......
We'll we actually cover an area that was 7 to 8 football field area.  We covered it with 4 guys in total, 2 using the Ion auger and 2 using the Pan Optix.  This area a search successfully in about only 3 hours.
Yes the Pan Optix ice unit is very $$$$$$$, but I would rather bite that bullet and have actually more time to search for new areas or go back to find fishing quicker on my Honey Holes.
But I have to add a word of fairness, Pan optix still hasn't been able to beat my Marcum and defined vertical fishing, the Marcum still shows me more defined details when zoomed in on the screen and has the fastest screen refresh to what really happening under the ice......

Tight Lines to ALL!!!!

TIGHT LINE ALL!!!

Offline mackdog75

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 01, 2018, 10:41 PM »
Hi All,

My group of ice guys has fished these last 5 winters with the LX6, LX7 and LX9.
We didn't get onto the Garmin Panoptix till late last winter and bog was it a game changer in searching a new spot to confirm if fishies were around or not or where.
Let put it this way, if we had to search a new area the size of 2 football fields that none of us had been on before.  With the traditional 7 to 20 degree sonar cones over 28ft to 35ft of water.  we would have easily had to drill 1 hole every 10 yard X 6 lines of holes X 2 football field areas....    That's a total of 10 x 6 x 2 = 120 holes!!!!!!!
Imagine the time and the manpower need just to drill these 120 holes we haven't even got into drop our ducers in the water a looking at our sonar screens yets.  This would have completely consumed 4 hours in total.......
We'll we actually cover an area that was 7 to 8 football field area.  We covered it with 4 guys in total, 2 using the Ion auger and 2 using the Pan Optix.  This area a search successfully in about only 3 hours.
Yes the Pan Optix ice unit is very $$$$$$$, but I would rather bite that bullet and have actually more time to search for new areas or go back to find fishing quicker on my Honey Holes.
But I have to add a word of fairness, Pan optix still hasn't been able to beat my Marcum and defined vertical fishing, the Marcum still shows me more defined details when zoomed in on the screen and has the fastest screen refresh to what really happening under the ice......

Tight Lines to ALL!!!!
Thanks that’s the kind of info I have been looking for. I was wondering in down view mode would the marcum or Garmin be better? I understand the side scan searching for fish but all in all I want to know if you only had 1 down the hole to use which would it be.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 01, 2018, 11:27 PM »
That’s why the ice bundle still comes with the standard ice transducer.

Offline mackdog75

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 02, 2018, 12:24 AM »
That’s why the ice bundle still comes with the standard ice transducer.
Sea monkey that’s a very good point I never considered. I have been somhung up on the Panoptix that I forgot about the standard ice transducer.

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Dec 02, 2018, 09:20 PM »
Here's another video that just came out today...I can't wait to get out!  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 02, 2018, 09:41 PM »
Here's another video that just came out today...I can't wait to get out!  ;D ;D ;D

Thanks for posting that, I can’t wait to use mine on the ice. Ive been using it from the boat (pointed foward) since sept, it is awesome and has helped me catch several fish I never would of using regular sonar. but I can’t always line up the cast to keep the lure in the beam to watch the whole interaction like we can fishing on the ice.

Offline mackdog75

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 02, 2018, 10:21 PM »
Very nice video.

Offline clintonstick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Dec 02, 2018, 11:13 PM »
I ordered one yesterday,cant wait to play with it.Great videos.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #27 on: Dec 03, 2018, 01:41 AM »
I just spent a day wandering around the St. Paul Ice Fishing Show. The floor was full of various "Ice Castles" which are RV trailers made specifically to pull out on the lake and fish through your living room floor. Kitchens, toilets, showers, beds, televisions...all for only $20,000-$40,000. I didn't get it until I realized that it is actually a very inexpensive cabin with direct lake access and no taxes.

In any case there apparently is a big market for such things and in light of that, a measly $3K for the best fish finder in the world seems VERY reasonable.

I'm looking at one someone here suggested.  15k but I could use it ice fishing and in the summer where I go striper fishing.  Money well spent. 

Panoptix wise...its only as impressive as the angler using it.  The biggest upside weve found is with laker jigging.  There is some benefit to seeing the laker come in from the side.  Especially in situations where they are suspended.  With a traditional flasher like my flx28 you just see the mark appear below your jig...most times when your goofing around with gear or eating a sandwich!

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Dec 03, 2018, 09:58 AM »
I think it is to the right person.  for me i think its worth it.  especially since i can put it in the boat.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Dec 03, 2018, 10:03 AM »
Panoptix wise...its only as impressive as the angler using it.  The biggest upside we've found is with laker jigging.  There is some benefit to seeing the laker come in from the side.  Especially in situations where they are suspended.

I have one all built and ready - but have not put it into the water as our Lake Trout season does not begin before Dec 28th. I hope to get to the cabin and test it on some walleyes, but I bought it for lake trout. They are simply the most fun I have and I think this will help. I know it will help locate structure. Most times if you jig over a single boulder you will catch many times as many fish as someone 10 feet away over nothing.

Very impatient for the next 30 days to run by.
Veritas Odium Parit

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.