The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: large rubber worms  (Read 5369 times)

yummy

large rubber worms
« on: Mar 07, 2019, 05:52 AM »
I learned when I was young that you never spit into your soup!!    I've fished for 50+ years, have always opened the stomachs of my keepers to see what they have been eating. When I was younger I was learning a lot from doing this, now the contents are horrific to say the least. From cigarette butts to these large rubber worms the Lakers aren't digesting, but instead are starving to death because they can't pass them. I've caught a few where that was all the stomach contents I found, under weight, wedged in and blocking any bowel movement. A slow death! I just wished fisherman would stop using these, have a little respect for the fish.

Offline thefishingweatherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: large rubber worms
« Reply #1 on: Mar 07, 2019, 06:12 AM »
Yes, I have seen this as well a few times, and indeed it does stunt the fish. They should really make rubber worms out of something more digestible.

yummy

« Reply #2 on: Mar 07, 2019, 08:00 AM »
It's getting so that it's a very common. I could almost fill a coffee can with these things, with some very sizable ones at that. Kinda sad when you see a nice Laker that is starving to death. One other thing...if your not planning on keeping the fish don't pull it out of the hole, cut the line!

Offline DirtyDan23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 07, 2019, 08:27 AM »
It's getting so that it's a very common. I could almost fill a coffee can with these things, with some very sizable ones at that. Kinda sad when you see a nice Laker that is starving to death. One other thing...if your not planning on keeping the fish don't pull it out of the hole, cut the line!
What?! So cut your line and leave the hook/lure in the fishes mouth? Hope you're joking!

Offline peteinvermont

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 07, 2019, 08:55 AM »
I see it more often now too.  This came from a skinny brookies belly this winter:

Offline Hardwater Renegade

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 07, 2019, 08:58 AM »
I caught a 30" laker a few years back off from Shadow lake in Glover that was very skinny only weighed little over 5 pounds. When I opened him up I found a 4-5" white jig worm in his belly. Was kind of glad i kept him and prevented him from starving to death.

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 07, 2019, 08:59 AM »
I don’t think any of these fish starved to death....

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Mar 07, 2019, 09:57 AM »
This type of thing is the fodder anti's will use to try to stop fishing overall.  Be very careful which side of the fence you sit on. 

Offline thefishingweatherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Mar 07, 2019, 10:21 AM »
This type of thing is the fodder anti's will use to try to stop fishing overall.  Be very careful which side of the fence you sit on.

Perhaps that's why a prohibition on non-digestible ones makes some sense.

Offline stick eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 07, 2019, 03:14 PM »
Dirty Dan..I don't think he was kidding  ??? I think most would say it's best to remove the lure before letting the fish go. Cut the line?  don't think so. And he is worried about a rubber worm ?

Offline Champlain Islander

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Mar 07, 2019, 03:34 PM »
I fish with rubber a lot both for crappie and spring open water perch. One thing I do to minimize the chance for a fish to eat one is to make sure when the rubber is getting worn out to change it and put the old one in a container on the boat. If I see any floating I try to scoop them up and throw them in my worn out collection. When fishing with rubber it is rare at least for me to have a fish strip a whole one off the jig. My opinion is when fish get them they often have been discarded after being either ripped or the color has faded.
Taught ice fishing for pan fish by one of the best...Art Rye may he RIP

Offline DirtyDan23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 07, 2019, 03:43 PM »
Dirty Dan..I don't think he was kidding  ??? I think most would say it's best to remove the lure before letting the fish go. Cut the line?  don't think so. And he is worried about a rubber worm ?
Crazy! I rarely have a problem releasing a fish safely. I also lean towards real worms over the rubber ones!

Offline Champlain Islander

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Mar 07, 2019, 04:49 PM »
Real worms have their own problems for large game fish like bass. That's the reason why live bait isn't allowed in tournaments where the goal is to catch and release.
Taught ice fishing for pan fish by one of the best...Art Rye may he RIP

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 10, 2019, 05:11 PM »
I think a troll has stirred the pot ! :)

Offline stick eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 10, 2019, 06:21 PM »
I was waiting for him to say using fish eyes to catch perch was a bad thing .   and fish do like worms.  ::)

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Mar 11, 2019, 09:34 AM »
Perhaps that's why a prohibition on non-digestible ones makes some sense.

First is a prohibition on those, next it'll be hooks....

Offline Dickbakers

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Oct 15, 2019, 03:37 PM »
 ???how about real crawlers and cheap bronze hooks?  Cut the line if you won't keep the fish.  I
Dick

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #17 on: Oct 15, 2019, 05:27 PM »
Just an observation: Seems like they were doing better with the worms in their bellies than a fillet knife. I've heard it all before to justify harvest of fish. They were dying anyway, swallowed, ripped, torn, gills, eyes, bleeding, etc. Fact is they do better in the water than they do on a cleaning board.

That said this is not an indictment of any that choose to keep their catch within the limits of the law. I keep fish. I've kept a couple muskies though they are considered primarily sport fish here. Made no bones about it. Just wanted to eat a couple. Get over it.

Would your precious trout have starved to death if you'd left 'em to work it out? We'll never know, will we?

Just be honest.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #18 on: Oct 15, 2019, 05:53 PM »
Just an observation: Seems like they were doing better with the worms in their bellies than a fillet knife. I've heard it all before to justify harvest of fish. They were dying anyway, swallowed, ripped, torn, gills, eyes, bleeding, etc. Fact is they do better in the water than they do on a cleaning board.

That said this is not an indictment of any that choose to keep their catch within the limits of the law. I keep fish. I've kept a couple muskies though they are considered primarily sport fish here. Made no bones about it. Just wanted to eat a couple. Get over it.

Would your precious trout have starved to death if you'd left 'em to work it out? We'll never know, will we?

Just be honest.
right on!humans are the biggest threat to fish populations in many ways.yeah they eat rubber worms but we stick a fillet knife in them to find that out!so it was a dead fish either way.

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Oct 15, 2019, 07:21 PM »
esox i've always been curious...what did the musky taste like?  similar to pike?  same y-bone?

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #20 on: Oct 23, 2019, 09:16 PM »
esox i've always been curious...what did the musky taste like?  similar to pike?  same y-bone?

Missed this ran7ger... Just like pike. They are after all kissin' cousins, literally to the point where they can interbreed. Same y-bone structure, same firm, flaky white flesh. So good, in fact, I had to threaten my mother with taking her musky tackle if she was going to keep killing 'em. One once in a while is no great deal, she was gutting every one for the table and she was darn good at catching 'em.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #21 on: Nov 11, 2019, 11:21 AM »

Just be honest.

Best argument ever on the subject.

Offline stitch

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Dec 12, 2019, 10:31 AM »
Has anyone seen a study on wether or not the rubber worms actually kill fish.?just curios not looking for a fight.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 12, 2019, 11:26 AM »
Has anyone seen a study on wether or not the rubber worms actually kill fish.?just curios not looking for a fight.

I’m not even sure how a study could be done. Much like what has been proven in this thread, these fish were killed AND THEN the objects were discovered. If a conservation team has to kill the fish too see if rubber consumption is a threat, well then........... I direct you to esox’s statements. On the other hand if they net fish that are alive and even if they could examine internal contents without killing the fish, well, the fish aren’t dead so how is rubber harming them? Sure, some fish may look thin but how could we relate that directly to rubber consumption? Schooling fish, which a vast majority of the species we catch are, feed in an order. Like a pack. There are leaders and there are followers. If the fish being caught have nothing but rubber in their stomachs, I’m led to believe that they weren’t the alphas in the school to begin with, scavenging for whatever they can find. And that’s rubber at the bottom.

I do understand compaction as a legitimate threat with regards to fish eating artificial bait. That’s the case for any organism consuming a foreign object. However, If we have to kill the fish in order to find that out though, at what point is rubber consumption a fatal threat? Well, that’s just where we have to be humans and decide what’s a legally ethical way to preserve our fisheries. I suppose we could have the same debate over lead free waters. How many organisms have been killed by the use of lead tackle? I guarantee it’s absolutely no where near the amount that have been cut open to find sinkers and jigs nor soft plastics. I’m well aware lead is a much more dangerous and toxic substance than soft plastic baits and it’s an overall environmental concern not contained to closed body of water and that a lead test is actually conceivable but it still wouldn’t give any numbers on wildlife fatalities.

There would have to be a documented mass die off to even get the information required to see if rubber worms contribute to fatalities or not. And even then, a mass die off wouldn’t be associated with rubber worm consumption, in my opinion. Maybe that’s where the lead comes back into play.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 12, 2019, 01:54 PM »
Well if we get some hatcheries to feed a few rubber worms to some brood stock, that would be a somewhat controlled test.

Offline LittleFishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 13, 2019, 05:26 AM »
I've seen fish eat rock after rock on an aqua view and I know those dont digest... Just re-use the rubber worm and catch another
Load it, Drive it, Park it
Bait it, Jig it, Hook it
Catch it, Clean it, Cook it
Simply put just get out/ and do it

SoVT Troutbum

« Reply #26 on: Dec 13, 2019, 08:53 AM »
Researchers sometimes use a stomach pump to see what food items (plastic, rocks, fish, etc.) are in the stomach. Fish lose their meal but can be released back into the water. I don't know of any studies focused solely on rubber worms killing fish, but the tools to do that study are out there.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #27 on: Dec 16, 2019, 06:02 PM »
Rubber worms have been used in fishing for so long (1949) that if they were killing fish right and left, we would have noticed already.  One thing we can all agree on...fishermen were and are killing fish in '49 and in '19.  That hasn't and won't change.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.