Author Topic: Who's up for Uintas trip in December? PICS ADDED 12-30-17  (Read 6417 times)

Offline Utahguy

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Who's up for Uintas trip in December? PICS ADDED 12-30-17
« Reply #60 on: Jan 14, 2018, 02:57 PM »
With the lack of good ice, is it time to start planning another high trip?
Still learning...

Offline BFTSkunkedAgain

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #61 on: Jan 23, 2018, 04:54 PM »
Got an idea of a pond that supposedly has some nice brookies, will develop the idea a bit... Been talking with Matt today and if it looks possible will pass around some details, but would be a sled trip... More later but good idea... Later J

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #62 on: Jan 26, 2018, 10:34 AM »
If I'm here (home), I'm in for sure.   ;D
:thumbsup:
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I’m 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
“Free men don't ask permission to bear arms.” ― Glen Aldrich
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” ― Dr. Seuss

Offline BFTSkunkedAgain

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #63 on: Jan 30, 2018, 03:51 PM »
Let's look at Stateline Reservoir and surrounding area for a mobile trip... Leave from Fort Bridger/Mountainview or down the road a ways as far as we can drive and still turn around... I think it will be about a 12 mile sled ride in... Lots of snowmobiling in the area so I think the trails should be good.  Would February 10th be too soon to pull this together? Anyone have some info about the area?  Added info is greatly appreciated... Later J

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #64 on: Jan 30, 2018, 04:30 PM »
I would think that a sled ride of 5 miles or less would be a much better idea.  A couple come to mind that, depending on snow fall between now and then, would be a much easier trip on both man and machine.  Woodruff Reservoir (maybe 3 miles from the first field off the farmers plowed road) or Birch Creek (yes, there is a two track that goes up and around from the parking lot below the dam and comes out north and just west of the top of the dam).  And of course, Soldier Creek would be an easy drive in from the highway.  Most everybody seems to like to launch from the Strawberry Marina, so Soldier Creek should be less crowded.  Plus, the drive to the launch areas would be less than going clear to Mountain View.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” ― Dr. Seuss

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #65 on: Jan 30, 2018, 10:34 PM »
I can offer this advice on birch creek, that two track is a pretty steep climb to the top and then very steep again going down to the ice. Been doing that road since high school in a truck and would not recommend it on a sled. To much risk of getting stuck/flipping, not to mention pulling a sled full of gear behind you. Now Woodruff would be good depending on snow on the road going in. These temps might make a mess of it and that Woodruf clay is nasty stuff. I think somewhere that had a groomed trail would be nice, then atleast even with warmer temps the packed snow should hold out longer. I'm good with a 5-30 mile round trip ride, I am up for anything. Just don't think I can swing feb 10th past the wife with being at the gorge all weekend in a few days  ???
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline Utahguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #66 on: Feb 01, 2018, 09:07 AM »
I don’t think I can swing any trips this month.  I am thinking of a day trip this Saturday to strawberry (probably soldier creek area) as I would like to find a good spot before I have some friends flying in for the 16-18 Feb holiday weekend for some strawberry ice fishing that we will try to fish soldier creek area...

Feb 10 is my birthday and I think my wife will have plans for us already...
Still learning...

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #67 on: Feb 01, 2018, 10:48 AM »
I don’t think I can swing any trips this month.  I am thinking of a day trip this Saturday to strawberry (probably soldier creek area) as I would like to find a good spot before I have some friends flying in for the 16-18 Feb holiday weekend for some strawberry ice fishing that we will try to fish soldier creek area...

Feb 10 is my birthday and I think my wife will have plans for us already...
Utahguy, me thinks you don't understand the intent of this 'Trip.'  It will be a one day affair - not a multiple day trip like Cascade, ID or Henry's Lake, ID.  We will probably meet somewhere for breakfast, have a nice day ride into some remote lake/reservoir, and return that same day to your home of residence.  The 'trip' part involves a snowmobile ride of several miles into the lake/reservoir and several miles back out to the trailhead.  Just another fun filled day with like minded ice fishing folk.  Still think you can't swing that?   ;D
Bob Hicks, from Utah

Offline PACKFAN-UT

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Retired AF,Nam Vet, VFW life member, Wis. Native
« Reply #68 on: Feb 01, 2018, 05:28 PM »
Just got back from goose hunting, looks like I should have stayed a couple more days with the warm weather predicted. Haven't had the sled on the ice yet this season. :unsure:

Offline BFTSkunkedAgain

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #69 on: Feb 05, 2018, 01:05 PM »
Sounded like the 10th might be too close to the gorge trip and several may not be able to swing it and with the crazy summer weather, I'm not sure how much longer we will be able to delay a trip... What are everyone thinking for this Saturday?  I can pull my sled and gear together for the day trip, but I didn't do the trip last week so I'm not a good one to set time lines... As far as locations go, I'm into Strawberry or the Mountainview trip...  got hopes of a big brookie up there... How's the ice at the berry?  Everything up north is turning to liquid really fast... Later J

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #70 on: Feb 05, 2018, 02:02 PM »
The latest intel direct from Strawberry Bay Marina store is that the road in and parking lot are snow & ice free.  The lake has about 10" of ice on it which is plenty safe for sleds.  Problem - NO snow on the ice.  Scratchers on your sled would be mandatory.  Cooling could be a problem if your coolant system radiator is up in the track channel (like mine is) as very few ice chips will get up in their to cool the radiator system coolant.  Quads would probably be a better bet under current conditions as there is zero forecast of snow in the next 10 days.  Damn it!
Bob Hicks, from Utah

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.