Author Topic: World Record Pike pic  (Read 46744 times)

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
World Record Pike pic
« on: Feb 18, 2004, 07:05 PM »
Heres the world record Pike, taken in Germany on October 16, 1986 Weighed 55 lbs., 1 oz.
Try to top this one Tip-Up  ;D

-Zach

Offline Tip-Up

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: World Record Pike pic
« Reply #1 on: Feb 18, 2004, 07:30 PM »
Oh Baby :o :o :o

Try to top this one Tip-Up

I'm trying, I'm trying  ;)

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #2 on: Feb 18, 2004, 08:29 PM »
Tip Up:

No need to hang your head about the 55 pound German pike. Your slew of 22 - 30 pounders on this site are incredible fish. 30 pounds is really rare air. Now the kicker, I read all about the pike in Europe in I believe a late 1980's In-Fisherman magazine. The biologists seem sure that these are a different strain of pike than what we have here in North America, and acknowledged that they get bigger for genetic reasons.

That 55 pounder may only be equivalent to like a 35 pounder here. It might even be like comparing a LMB to a SMB, who knows? The bottom line is you should compare your fish to others caught in North America only, and your record to shoot for is therefore the 46+ pounder caught by Peter Dubuc out of the Sacandaga res. in 1945 ( NY ). Keep up the good fishing. By the way, just because the North American record came from NY does not mean that we have great pike fishing here. 100 hammer handles for every 10 pounder. 20 pounds is a front page story.
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 18, 2004, 08:31 PM »
man that fish could eat a person :o

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take what you want from what i post.
« Reply #4 on: Feb 19, 2004, 03:38 PM »
Ya would wallop a small child at least...5 year old out swimming....Hmmm could happen. They eat water fowl and muskrats  minks things of that nature...Smile child with water wings spalshing in a shallow area.....hmmm Now where is that sweet446? lol just joking!
Please don't take offense to Germ's |Posts they are in no way shape or Form ...Ment to discredit or Discourage any other peoples post's..Please take Germ with a grain of salt and Rememeber it is all ment in good fun and if you Would like something changed on a post of mine mesage me ill fix it

peple of the perch

« Reply #5 on: Feb 19, 2004, 05:11 PM »
its not letting me see the pic  :(

acsacmboy

« Reply #6 on: Feb 19, 2004, 05:45 PM »
just imagine a big fish.. black and white picture, witha  fairly big guy holding it looking to the left with the fish looking left. he is holding it somewhere around his house and looks like the bed of a truck. 2 hands under its stomach and its head/ jaw is bigger than the guys. there ya go. verbal picture.

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #7 on: Feb 19, 2004, 06:56 PM »
Ya would wallop a small child at least...5 year old out swimming....Hmmm could happen. They eat water fowl and muskrats  minks things of that nature...Smile child with water wings spalshing in a shallow area.....hmmm Now where is that sweet446? lol just joking!

Did you see where that European catfish ate someones dog when it was swimming? It lived relatively in the same area for years, and just recently died. Crazy stuff! :o

-Zach

Offline Muskie Matt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Throw'em back! & report abuse EPO # 800.632.8075
« Reply #8 on: Feb 20, 2004, 10:07 AM »
DFULLER - I would take it one step further and not compare fish from different locations of North America but compare trophy fish in your "region" or state. I fish NY and Massachusetts and there is a BIG difference between what is called a trophy fish between these two states which are next to each other. I have caught walleye in NY which would be a Massachusetts state record. It's unfair to compare a largemouth bass in the north which only get 6 months of "warm" water to a bucketmouth in Okeechobee (Fl.) Which means when we do catch what is considered a trophy fish for that species in a specific geographic location it should be cherished.

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 20, 2004, 12:10 PM »
Same here in Ontario we have our Provincial Records because its really not fair to compare fish to other fish without being in the same location as was noted...Fish have differnt stress levels so one fish being big somewhere might be small to somoen else..I.E. Fisherman jake fished for ling in alaska i fish them here in huntsville ontario. His fish reach in the teens in pounds..My Ling on average reach 2-3 pounds havent caught one over that yet. He would call them babys at 3 pounds where that is a nice catch for me...On the table in my belly and his 3 pounders he would use as bait...SO as was stated should be records set but location not by worldwide to comparibility to your own fish..TIght lines!
Please don't take offense to Germ's |Posts they are in no way shape or Form ...Ment to discredit or Discourage any other peoples post's..Please take Germ with a grain of salt and Rememeber it is all ment in good fun and if you Would like something changed on a post of mine mesage me ill fix it

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #10 on: Feb 20, 2004, 03:47 PM »
you got a point germ, but burbot aren't targeted really heavily.  Although i have caught couple burbot larger than ontario's record, 13.34 lbs, if i'm correct....if you compare that fish to alaskas state record (24lbs), then germ should at least of caught one around 7 pounds :P...you will germ..and maybe you can beat that ontario record there.

trapperdirk

« Reply #11 on: Feb 20, 2004, 08:48 PM »
 I'm surprised that 13.34 is our Ontario record . I myself have caught a 13 pound ling and seen bigger ones too . Never a 24 pounder though . Were off topic here but like Jake said with ling in Alaska , very few target them here specifically too . Germ and my buddy John are the exceptions to the rule . ;D

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 21, 2004, 07:21 PM »
My father in law ANd his friends have caught them years ago on Simcoe when they used to be rampant (Untill the MNR slaughtered Millions of them) They have claim that back then it was nothing to catch Ling on simcoe in the day and in weights of 9-15 pound was often seen. As was sated by trapper lots of fishermen have caught them in the teens but didnt realize the record was so low. My LAke that i primarily fish for burbot im sure wouldn't hold Ling in that size. Takes maybe 45 min to walk all around the lakes borders. Not very big. I'll try to catch them bigger jake I just need to hit a bigger lake lol. The onyl reason i fish the one lake is that its close to my inlaws...ROFL Im lazy and well I fish alone so it gets lonly sometimes..AWWWW.LOl anyhow ya come to huntsville and you wont be catching no 15 pound ling thats for sure. TIght lines!

sweet446

« Reply #13 on: Feb 22, 2004, 05:33 PM »
holy smokes that thing could eat me(jk)LMAO

Offline fozsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 23, 2004, 08:27 AM »
Holy moly. Couldn't stick a fork in the gravy. I don't think  I would even try to eat something liike that.

The early bird might get the worm but the second mouse will always get the cheese...

Offline Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 10" Hole = Less tales of the big one that got away
« Reply #15 on: Feb 29, 2004, 07:26 PM »

Offline skulldugary

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #16 on: Feb 29, 2004, 08:21 PM »
I wonder how old a pike like that is?

Offline Tip-Up

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #17 on: Feb 29, 2004, 08:22 PM »
I remember that article.

Matt - your 100% right. To a lesser extent the same goes for big game too.

Ice Troll

« Reply #18 on: Mar 01, 2004, 08:03 PM »
I could not agree more with Matt and Tipup. Regions, growing seasons, harvest and other factors all have to be considered when measuring a trophy. Also, lets not forget, the measure of a trophy can only truly be measured by the person who harvests the trophy.

Ice Troll

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #19 on: Mar 02, 2004, 07:07 PM »
Guys, I was just trying to say that it is a DAMN big fish. Tip-Up, my hat goes off too you buddy, the fish you catch are spectacular, and I would be honored to WATCH you fish. I only wish I had fish like that to catch around here!

-Zach

Offline perchfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • SD!
« Reply #20 on: Jul 18, 2004, 10:29 PM »
DFULLER - I would take it one step further and not compare fish from different locations of North America but compare trophy fish in your "region" or state. I fish NY and Massachusetts and there is a BIG difference between what is called a trophy fish between these two states which are next to each other. I have caught walleye in NY which would be a Massachusetts state record. It's unfair to compare a largemouth bass in the north which only get 6 months of "warm" water to a bucketmouth in Okeechobee (Fl.) Which means when we do catch what is considered a trophy fish for that species in a specific geographic location it should be cherished.
i agree because ive caught about a 4.5 lbs bass here in south dakota where the record in like nine pounds but apparently in texas thats not so huge

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #21 on: Nov 05, 2004, 10:28 AM »
I'm no pike expert, not by a long shot...but at 38 1/2 inches, I wouldn't believe that fish weighed 20 lbs...just doesn't seem probable.

-Zach

Offline bigfish57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • love them square tails!!!!
« Reply #22 on: Nov 05, 2004, 11:25 AM »
I belive it
Anthony

bradt

« Reply #23 on: Nov 19, 2004, 08:32 AM »
I'm struggling to believe that 55lbs is the world record.  I signed up just to show you this picture of a Northern Pike my dad caught during a fishing trip in the late 70's.  This pike weighed in at 59lbs was 59 inches long and had a belly over 11inches deep, reason I say this is because the 11" fillet kniife they used couldn't reach all the way through.  I only have one pic and unfortunately it doesn't show the whole fish.  My Dad is emailing me more showing the entire fish.  I'm sure most of you will call bullnuts but whatever,  i think once you see the other pics showing the whole fish you may think twice.

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Nov 19, 2004, 08:51 AM »
I remember that article.

Matt - your 100% right. To a lesser extent the same goes for big game too.

Except for big game it is reversed. The whitetails in Canada and Northern United States grow bigger that those in say Florida or Texas.

Offline David_the_fisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Happy Jigging
« Reply #25 on: Dec 12, 2004, 12:04 AM »
man we are all trying but it aint happening!! what happens when u beat the record do u get oney of just a trophy ?? im just wondering

Happy jigging i mean tip-uping lol :tipup:

Offline Grimace

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ive Had It
« Reply #26 on: Dec 23, 2004, 07:23 PM »
I was talking to the guy at advanced taxidermy in Toronto, he told me that there have been many pike caught that were bigger than the world record but could not be recorded because they were released, or they didnt qualify for some technicality.  There is said to be one caught in Sweden in the late 1800's that weighed over 100 lbs.   

Offline Grimace

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ive Had It
« Reply #27 on: Dec 23, 2004, 07:40 PM »
I'm no pike expert, not by a long shot...but at 38 1/2 inches, I wouldn't believe that fish weighed 20 lbs...just doesn't seem probable.

-Zach

Absolutley it could have Zach.    40 inches and 20 pounds seem to have a relationship with each other here in Ontario and in Manitoba (from my small experience there).  On the other hand I have caught 43 inchers that are only 17 pounds so you just never know.

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #28 on: Dec 23, 2004, 10:00 PM »
Okay, I'm sorry for my ignorance. I stand corrected ;D

-Zach

Offline Grimace

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ive Had It
« Reply #29 on: Dec 23, 2004, 10:57 PM »
Zach,

That is a wicked quote on your signature.   never heard it before.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.