The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Late Catch Saves the Day  (Read 669 times)

Offline bogtrotter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Late Catch Saves the Day
« on: Feb 04, 2024, 04:18 PM »
Today, I met up at Cheshire Lake around 10 AM with my friend Bob (who's only been icefishing once before), Mogli and his girlfriend Tiffany.

We headed out onto 2nd Lake and set up.

The weather was ideal - - sunny, blue skies, relatively little wind and temps in the 30 to 35 degree range all day.

The ice was good too - - generally about 5" or 6" of good white ice (although there were a few thinner spots).

Tiffany even brought her his skates and got some skating in over the course of the day.

Overall, the fishing was fairly slow - - although, over the course of the day, we collectively caught about 8 bass, a dozen or so pickerel, one perch and a crappie. 

Except for my perch, one of my pickerel and Tiffany's crappie (all caught while jigging), all of the rest were landed on tip ups - - with Mogli and Tiffany accounting for the lion's share.

But the real excitement occurred a little after 3 PM, when Mogli's "heavy" tip up went off - - and he hauled in a northern pike that ended up measuring 35 inches long and tipping the scales at 10 pounds.

Bob and I started picking up about a half hour after that and headed to our respective homes.

Mogli and Tiffany planned to stay till sunset - - although I tend to suspect anything they might catch after that would prove to be anticlimactic.

Offline Steve H.

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Late Catch Saves the Day
« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2024, 05:40 PM »
Sounds like a great day. Congrats on your group getting a big pike! Exciting for sure.

Offline ronbgood55

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 04, 2024, 05:47 PM »
You had a SUPER day....Very nice action.......It sounds like the good old days.....Thank you for sharing your day with us.

Offline Brendog9

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ga head
« Reply #3 on: Feb 04, 2024, 08:25 PM »
Great fish! It was a beautiful day to be out today. Hard to beat the conditions.
Marking anything?

Offline Mogli21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 05, 2024, 04:30 AM »
After the pike there was a sweet one after the other bass spurt that lasted for three bass but after that fishing slowed to a halt overall about a dozen bass for the group with the last three.  All in all a great day shared by all of us.  Thinking the pike may be the same one I caught last year, same spot just a inch and a half longer and about 2.5 lbs more than last years pike.

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 05, 2024, 07:40 AM »
If you want to know for sure and you have good enough pics of the fish both times - compare the pattern of lines/squiggles/spots on cheek/gill covers. Every pike has it's own unique pattern like a fingerprint. I have used this method to confirm that I'm not always catching the same individual fishes and to compare the same ones I have caught over the years. Pretty satisfying catching the same fish years apart and seeing the growth.

Offline IceDog88

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 05, 2024, 08:24 PM »
Sounds like a good day by all and a beautiful bonus Pike to ice the day. Congratulations

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.