New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Sodus Bay  (Read 38702 times)

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Sodus Bay
« Reply #120 on: Jan 17, 2018, 06:11 PM »
yeah I'm sure my note caused all the problems,  There were pics posted including a map with a big red circle 2 or 3 days prior, and as noted channel 10 news was there and had the story of perch fishing on the 5,530,6,7 and 11 o'clock news.

the issues there had ALREADY escalated,  there were already parking issues, there were already trash issues,  there had already been all kinds of spot burning posts for days and weeks prior to my posting a note to try and HELP people avoid parking tickets, being towed or vehicles vandalized.

But if blaming me for all the parking issues makes you feel better have at it captain happy.   

So I guess everyone can contact you to see where the best place to park is.

like I said  "just saying" truth is  I don't want to fight with you and get this thread locked ,I just wanted to be honest with you ,a bunch of us picked up on your post and you added to the  crowd ...I'm not blaming you for the actions of others I'm just letting you know we never knew till you posted that,i understand your intentions were good ....I'm just letting you know you did tell a bunch of  people there was a bite going on, i know your a good  guy and   ment  no harm  I'm just giving you some  insight in how  lurkers like  me  look for  spots   ;D ...............ice   not sure what your issue is I never met you I only  asked you not to fight and  get a thread   locked  ......

Offline 32degrees

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #121 on: Jan 17, 2018, 07:00 PM »
Luckey,
The down turned mouth was not of a Cisco.
As per DEC Econ, I was not keeping any they were 6" bait fish. Won't even fish Smelt due to my preference not to eat baitfish.
Thanks, for your support.
Still unsure of a possitive fish ID.

"2015 on Irondequoit bay I was catching 6-7" round whitefish (had to google search what they were). Found out they had been stocked in 2012, from Chaumont Bay stock. Maybe we get to the see the growth rates this year."

The fish you were catching in Irondequoit Bay were ciscos.  Please read my above summary of the DEC reports to date.

According to DEC, round whitefish were last reported from the US side of LO in the 1940's.  There is a population around the Bay of Quinte on the Canadian side that fluctuates from year to year.  Please also remember that round whitefish are an endangered species in NYS, so the Encon Officers will have a real picnic with you if you are catching them and you keep one.  But the Chaumont to Ibay stocking was ciscoes.

Offline Pequod1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #122 on: Jan 18, 2018, 04:21 AM »
Not for nothing, but right in town after the fire hall and we’ll before maiden lane is a nice little parking lot that is plowed.  There is a flag pole marking the location.  That’s where the wheelers and sleds have been parking and taking off from, and if the ice stays tight, that’s where I will take my sled out of if I fish the north end again.
I consider this year to be a bonus year. The perch are finally back and we can access just about the entire Bay by foot or machine. Life is good.

Offline perryt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #123 on: Jan 18, 2018, 05:21 AM »
Thanks for the parking info Pequod ...........I think I will just park there and walk to the loop access ! That will delay me enough to stay a little longer  ;D  It's a long ride to be done fishing at 10:00AM anyway  :o
ice fishing rules

Offline perryt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #124 on: Jan 18, 2018, 05:31 AM »
Fished yesterday and ran into my old bud Perry T at the loop and we both trekked far from the maddening crowd. Ended up with a limit of jumbos for my grand son Eric and me. I'm sure Perry t did the same as every once in awhile I heard a "Yahoo" coming from his Flip ;D ;D.  It was nice fishing with my old bud again. 

Boggey
It was a great day for sure Boggey ................. here is how it went for me . It was a most enjoyable walk to our secret Sodus Bay honey hole chatting and catching up .Things sure took a turn for the worst when I got set up and did not mark a thing on my LX6 for about half an hour when suddenly I heard that sweet voice of Boggey belting out an old Beatles classic ! Well like magic my screen came alive with nice marks next thing I knew I looked over and my pail was full of 10"-12" fatties  ;D  Thanks for the serenade JBOGGEY  :clap: :whistle: :bow: :icefish:
ice fishing rules

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #125 on: Jan 18, 2018, 06:11 AM »
 Yo Perryt,

I was indeed fortunate to run into you. It was quite serendipitous as neither planned on going that day. I have not found a place I can not catch perch this year so far. We will have to hit Fair haven as well. Grand son and I had our one and only outing this year as he leaves for Montana this evening. Oh well, be grateful for the time they spend with you and don't lament their absence. Heck I got 10 more grand kids to get out this winter ;D ;D ;D and one Great grand daughter who is old enough to eat hot dogs and sing songs with Pop Pop. Congrats on your newest grand son, Louis . I saw his picture. He is a handsome fellow. You are on your way to becoming a prodigious progenitor. If they are all as healthy as Louis you are going to have a good fishing partner for years to come.

Boggey
Start each day with the exuberance of a 10 year old . Do not allow those around you to diminish that exuberance.

Offline Lucky13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #126 on: Jan 18, 2018, 11:42 AM »
Great info reeltime and Lucky13, you are absolutely correct. I'm a biologist with the USGS/DEC/FWS/Cornell group working on cisco restoration in Lake Ontario. We are always interested to hear from folks who are catching cisco, both in LO and inland lakes. If you get one, please share! There's a thread about it in the main forum.

We've heard from several people who have caught cisco in Sodus this year, as well as Port Bay.

I sent the photos to W. Persall and S. LaPan.   If this is a restoration program and you are working on it, would it not make more sense to discourage people from keeping and smoking these ciscoes for a while, rather than telling folks they are good to smoke as you did on the reports and conditions page?  I don't think this is a catch grow and retain program!  I would think this could be problematic with the density of catchers out on the bay this winter, those big perch they are limiting out on on a daily basis are not going to last forever.

Offline Puffintuff

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #127 on: Jan 18, 2018, 12:30 PM »
 they should cut the limit to 25..
he crusha the percha

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #128 on: Jan 18, 2018, 12:42 PM »

why????

there is no limit in jefferson and they have  3 times more perch

Offline Puffintuff

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #129 on: Jan 18, 2018, 01:01 PM »
might help from all the fishing pressure the bay is getting.prob more than up there
he crusha the percha

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #130 on: Jan 18, 2018, 01:11 PM »
you thing ????

but question ...whats the sense in saving  fish from fishing pressure and having a great fishery if people can't enjoy it ?

Offline Puffintuff

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #131 on: Jan 18, 2018, 02:11 PM »
Because there will be no enjoyment left to be had
he crusha the percha

Offline 32degrees

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #132 on: Jan 18, 2018, 02:43 PM »
Because there will be no enjoyment left to be had

What?  Everyone gets a few meals. Hot bites never last forever . Move on and try something else.  The Great Lakes and bays can support this.

Offline ChiefCatchemall

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #133 on: Jan 18, 2018, 07:54 PM »

Haha this is funny. I spent Nov and Dec out in my boat at Sodus many trips this year. There were times the schools of perch were 15ft thick on my graph. Read an article this year that there was an estimated 8.5 million perch in the Sodus Bay Area this year. The limits are there to protect the fishery. Lots of research goes into this. The pressure will not hurt the population.
It'll eat.

Offline Puffintuff

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #134 on: Jan 18, 2018, 08:03 PM »
Touché
he crusha the percha

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #135 on: Jan 18, 2018, 08:21 PM »
Omg no fish left to be had its lake onterio holy cow i dont think the next 2 generations can wipe out the perch population  ::)

Offline sodussut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #136 on: Jan 18, 2018, 10:01 PM »
Does anyone remember when the perch fishing at Sodus was downright POOR? It wasn't that long ago!

Offline Pequod1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #137 on: Jan 19, 2018, 04:00 AM »
I remember. It was the last seven years!  I also remember how good Sodus was before that too. I doubt the perch population crashed because of overfishing. More because of the large alewife population and disease than anything else.  The two super cold winters we had in 13-14 killed off a lot of alewives and these 9-10" perch are three year olds. Also, the lack of fishing pressure on the bay this summer with the high water has helped future generations. Can we destroy the population in  Sodus. I doubt it, but we certainly can put a dent in it. Just hope it isn't a big dent. Time will tell.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #138 on: Jan 19, 2018, 04:35 AM »
theres good years and bad years ,cycles .....your on a good year i suggest  we enjoy it and fill the freezor

Offline TeeBugg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #139 on: Jan 19, 2018, 09:55 AM »
theres good years and bad years ,cycles .....your on a good year i suggest  we enjoy it and fill the freezor

agreed
"Quit whining and go fishing!"

Offline Lucky13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #140 on: Jan 19, 2018, 12:21 PM »
  The two super cold winters we had in 13-14 killed off a lot of alewives and these 9-10" perch are three year olds

:tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline Zern

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #141 on: Jan 19, 2018, 04:59 PM »

I agree also.

What we fisherman do to the perch population is tiny compared to what the cormorants do.
"Not One Step Back!"- General Leopold
May Your Blades Never Dull!

Offline ChiefCatchemall

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #142 on: Jan 19, 2018, 08:37 PM »
The populations do go in cycles. Like Pequod alluded to, forage and disease certainly play a huge factor. Invasive species also play a factor in this as well. Mother Nature always seems to balance it all out for the most part when it’s all said and done
It'll eat.

Offline TeeBugg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #143 on: Jan 20, 2018, 09:19 AM »
heard its quite the zoo over there today. might have to make a plan b just in case!
"Quit whining and go fishing!"

Offline Doorman1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #144 on: Jan 20, 2018, 11:20 AM »

A practice pict from Wednesday

Offline EJ78

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #145 on: Jan 20, 2018, 03:17 PM »
I haven't been out in a few years but went to sodus with a friend today. The place was packed! Just unreal to see that many people out on the ice.

Offline alfed

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #146 on: Jan 20, 2018, 04:32 PM »
Yep its a zoo..hundreds of shanties...the word is out. Never seen it like this even back in the great days..twice as many people.  Get there early for parking no matter were you go out..third creek was parking past the top of the hill on both sides of the parking area. Did ok today but nit great tons of lookers. Go during the week is my advice
"Can't catch'em if you are on the couch!"

Offline Jaker112

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #147 on: Jan 20, 2018, 06:13 PM »
No doubt a zoo! Have never see so many icefishman on sodus bay in my life!

Offline ChiefCatchemall

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #148 on: Jan 20, 2018, 09:16 PM »
Does anybody know if bay bridge or Davenport has any large buckeyes or jumbo fatheads? I’d prefer the largw buckeyes.
It'll eat.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #149 on: Jan 20, 2018, 11:01 PM »
I’m guessing 1 of the reasons it’s so busy is social media , back in the the day people had to make phone calls to buds or got in their vehicles and drove to check things out , these days it’s all at your finger tips , but this is just my guess 😉

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.