The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Brown Trout Question (not what you think)  (Read 1699 times)

Offline LilWeezy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SHUT UP AND FISH
Brown Trout Question (not what you think)
« on: Feb 07, 2012, 02:03 PM »
been reading a lil into fish species does anyone know if theres a difference between a german brown and what we catch here in maine.

Offline grub662

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ya got any smelts?
Re: Brown Trout Question (not what you think)
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2012, 02:05 PM »
Brown trout originate in Europe
If you fish the wrong lure long and hard enough it will eventually become the right lure!

Offline icefisha22

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2012, 02:46 PM »
I'm no expert on this subject, so please correct me if i am wrong. From my fishing experiences, and what the mdifw website says under species identification, the browns we have are german browns.  This being said, 3 years back, i was fishing a small river in central maine for browns and came across an informational sign put up by the MDIFW.  The sign was explaining that they had stocked a new, or different, strain of browns in a few places as a comparison.  I was fortunate enough to catch 2 specimens, both of the different strain. These browns had a dark golden with a bright red adipose fin, and also a somewhat reddish golden tail and anal fin.  I cannot recall what the sign said about their exact name, but they were noticeably different from any other brown i have caught, and i have seen my share.
"many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish that they are after"

surflizard

« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2012, 02:52 PM »
This is an article from the fishermens voice magazine.

Maine has, since 1968, propagated New Gloucester State Fish Hatchery brown trout, Salmo trutta. These were established from an unknown number of wild parents. Since 1974, the New Gloucester strain was spawned every three years with wild fish from several different Maine waters. But genetic shortcomings have prompted DIF&W biologists to look for a replacement to the New Gloucester strain.

To that end, two newcomers to Maine swim in DIF&W fish rearing station waters. These are Seeforellen and Cape Cod/Sandwich strains. Seeforellen have performed well in highly competitive situations and have yielded high angler catch rates. They are thought to make the transition to a saltwater environment with ease, making them good candidates for a sea-run, brown trout program.

The Sandwich strain springs from feral, tidewater brown trout. These have desirable genetics and also, are thought suitable for the sea-run, or tidewater program.

Both strains were stocked in Maine waters in 2010. Inadequate time has passed for any quantitative evaluation of how these fish have or will perform. Certainly, both show great promise

Offline grub662

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ya got any smelts?
« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2012, 02:58 PM »
Brown trout originate in Europe therefore they are an invasive species. :-*
If you fish the wrong lure long and hard enough it will eventually become the right lure!

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2012, 03:06 PM »
this is a great example of what the seeforellen strain look like

Offline fishhunter270

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Every hour you fish adds an hour to your life...
« Reply #6 on: Feb 07, 2012, 04:41 PM »
Seforellen, cape cod sandwich, german, loch leven...they are all brown trout, but have developed different physical characteristics, having come from different Regions of Europe...I've caught browns ranging from as brown as a chocolate lab to as silvery as a salmon, but they're all browns to me, and equally as difficult to catch...many of them tend to turn into pickerel right at the hole...
Salmo Trutta!

Offline icefisha22

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 07, 2012, 07:37 PM »

Invasive? You're saying that brown trout are taking over lakes? Lots of times they don't even reproduce where they are stocked, and do not overrun the waterbody when they do reproduce. so you're using the wrong terminology.  I believe that you mean INTRODUCED! If you are gonna try and stir the pot, at least use the correct terminology  @)
"many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish that they are after"

Offline HardWaterKilla

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 07, 2012, 07:42 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

Wow....Gorgeous fish !
Father of 4 kids.  2 girls and 2 boys.  Love fishing with them !

Offline HardWaterKilla

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 07, 2012, 07:43 PM »
Invasive? You're saying that brown trout are taking over lakes? Lots of times they don't even reproduce where they are stocked, and do not overrun the waterbody when they do reproduce. so you're using the wrong terminology.  I believe that you mean INTRODUCED! If you are gonna try and stir the pot, at least use the correct terminology  @)

Seriously dude ??????  You ever heard of sarcasm ?  I'm pretty sure THAT was his point !
Father of 4 kids.  2 girls and 2 boys.  Love fishing with them !

Offline DoubleE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 08, 2012, 09:11 AM »

(Image removed from quote.)

Wow, small world. You know him?

Offline allextremesfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 08, 2012, 09:27 AM »
i believe the german browns grow bigger then other strians. not 100% sure though.
FLAG!!!!!!!!! 's are all down

Offline Nor Easter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just an old coot takin a Li'l Crappie on the ice
« Reply #12 on: Feb 08, 2012, 10:24 AM »
Link to Suflizard's article:

http://www.fishermensvoice.com/archives/0511TidewaterBrownTrout.html

I wasn't even aware of this publication until now. Tanks Surf!  :)

Quote from: Grub662

Well we know who the bucket biologists were on this one. Do you think we could turn them in to reap our lead-to-conviction reward? 1-800-ALERT-US   ;D
Caveat Emptor et cum grano salis
I enjoy helping people out,,, which way did you come in?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.