The ice fishing MN boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Lake of the Woods "Mr. Walleye" Title  (Read 4293 times)

Offline MN Bassfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Chasing anything that swims in the Midwest
Lake of the Woods "Mr. Walleye" Title
« on: Jan 31, 2019, 03:06 PM »
A group of high school buddies and some of their family make an Annual trip up to Baudette to fish Walleyes on Lake of the Woods. I look forward to this trip each year! Since this is an Annual Trip we all put some money and bragging rights on the line for the Angler who can catch the biggest fish of the weekend, take home the Trophy, $500 Cash and call themselves "Mr. Walleye" for the next 365 days. The Largest Perch and Heaviest Eelpout/Burbot also take home prizes. I didn't have the camera's rolling on Day 1 (which was lights out) but on Day 2 of the trip we were filming. It was fun day and I even caught my new Personal Best Perch!

Offline icefishman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Lake of the Woods "Mr. Walleye" Title
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2019, 04:10 PM »
Looks like you had a good time. Do you have any info of where you line up the shack and shuttle service?
Catching Any?

Offline MN Bassfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Chasing anything that swims in the Midwest
« Reply #2 on: Feb 20, 2019, 05:13 PM »
Looks like you had a good time. Do you have any info of where you line up the shack and shuttle service?

Sorry for the delayed response. We stayed with Ballards Resort and went out in their bombers to the day shacks. We also did a half day to Zippel Bay Resort where we were able to drive our own vehicles out to the day shacks.

Offline ndsumiller

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 19, 2019, 11:05 PM »
Hey all! I've never fished LotW, but will be there in early January for walleye. Any suggestions for lure colors, presentation, etc? We'll be going out of Walleye Retreat (Baudette). Thanks!

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 20, 2019, 05:58 PM »
Hey all! I've never fished LotW, but will be there in early January for walleye. Any suggestions for lure colors, presentation, etc? We'll be going out of Walleye Retreat (Baudette). Thanks!

We are usually up there around Christmas, so probably you will see the same action depending on the weather.  Hammered gold jigs and a minnow should do you well.  Thats all we ever use.  Pink and White work sometimes.  Tried a few of the fancy jig raps and not really much luck. 

You just have to keep the minnow at the bottom and bang the mud.  By that time of year you will probably be in the 26-32 feet of water, so make sure you have electronics with you.  Saugers will be running suspended, so you will want to see these. 
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline winterbuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 20, 2019, 08:25 PM »
Any suggestions for lure colors, presentation, etc? We'll be going out of Walleye Retreat (Baudette). Thanks!

I just cleaned out my LOW/Red tackle box for this weekend.  When my dad was around, we'd be up there 10-12 times a year.  I've only been making first ice and March runs the last 5 years.  Haven't bought too much "new" in the last few, but fish don't seem to care too much. 

Oddly, one of my favorite deadstick lures is w5 glow green jigging rap. Sometimes it's crazy stupid how well the static rap performs when your actively jigging adjacent to it.  If they stop hitting glow pink/gold, don't be afraid to toss something green down for a bit.

Here's a pic of what I had in the box.

Offline ndsumiller

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 21, 2019, 08:01 PM »
Awesome guys, thank you! I'll be hitting Cabela's in Woodbury this weekend to bring back some things and I might as well stock up while I'm there.

Offline ndsumiller

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 11, 2019, 05:23 PM »
Anyone know where you can find a JR Lures Stop Sign in the metro or on the road to Baudette? Shipping is $6.95 flat rate, but I'm not planning on buying that many of them to make the shipping cost effective.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 11, 2019, 05:25 PM »

Here's a pic of what I had in the box.

Looks Yummy!
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 15, 2019, 08:34 AM »
Jr Lures has an online store. It is down now due to maintenance. They also have a facebook page. But Log Cabin Bait and Liquors in Baudette has plenty of JR lures.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline ndsumiller

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 15, 2019, 09:11 AM »
Jr Lures has an online store. It is down now due to maintenance. They also have a facebook page. But Log Cabin Bait and Liquors in Baudette has plenty of JR lures.

Fantastic, thank you!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.