New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD  (Read 1339488 times)

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD
« Reply #10890 on: Feb 21, 2020, 06:18 PM »

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10891 on: Feb 21, 2020, 06:20 PM »
Yea I have a flasher was jigging primarily in 84ft of water got 1 chaser but that’s it(had suckers 3 ft of bottom) and yea you’re right I hope it’s overcast tomorrow

Lakers were hammering in the bays today around the perch beds in 25-35’. Small suckers on tip ups were working decent.

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10892 on: Feb 21, 2020, 07:30 PM »
Yea I have a flasher was jigging primarily in 84ft of water got 1 chaser but that’s it(had suckers 3 ft of bottom) and yea you’re right I hope it’s overcast tomorrow
go with lighter longer leaders and try some dead baits on bottom tipping can sometimes do more harm then help, we iced 8 today 3 guys, today was tough for us, lots of ice being made few new cracks opened up from last weekend crossed one that was open 5-6" today

Offline flyfish413

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10893 on: Feb 22, 2020, 09:00 AM »
Change locations.  I am not sure why but tons of guys pound hearthstone and get skunked and return to do the same.

Easy access, familiar territory, short walk to deep water. But you're right sometimes you gotta explore and get away from the crowds. I'm still learning the lake and where those out-of-the-way access areas exist so I hit that spot for lack of knowledge of alternatives and do pretty decent. That said, there's no way that big crowds and augers running all day is good for the fish so I try to stay as far from the circus as possible and I think that helps.

I'm also alone 99% of the time and walking out before sunrise so exploring uncharted territories even with the spud, rescue picks and a whistle is unnerving.

Offline flyfish413

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10894 on: Feb 22, 2020, 09:40 AM »

There are guys on here MUCH better at sticking lakers than I am, but as far as traps go, if I'm shooting for lakers I rarely put them more then 25 or 30 feet down (usually between 10 and 20), and always in the top quarter of the water column meaning if it's 40 feet deep I'll be less than 10 feet under the ice. The only time that changes is if I see clouds of smelt moving through at consistent depths I'll move so traps to that depth. I also catch a bunch on traps set for salmon like 3 feet under the ice over 100 FOW.

I think the aggressive fish are following schools of bait, and when the schools come through if your bait is hanging out in the same area when they pass if there's lakers behind it they will hit. 8lb fluoro leaders, small hooks and bait that looks as much like smelt as possible, big icicles if you can find them.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10895 on: Feb 22, 2020, 10:25 AM »
Lakers love small suckers on tip up’s... just saying 😉

Offline Nick_

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10896 on: Feb 22, 2020, 11:48 AM »
What lures do you guys jig with?

Offline flyfish413

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10897 on: Feb 22, 2020, 12:13 PM »
What lures do you guys jig with?

Small rattle baits or soft plastic paddletails in white 99% of the time.

Offline perchinmybucket

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10898 on: Feb 22, 2020, 04:49 PM »
Caught 3 lakers today on the rabid baits gobi in white. Killer bait. They can’t resist it. Local friend Bobby makes them and sells them at 307 and he just got into dicks sporting goods. Other then that I throw keitechs 3/8-1/2 oz jig heads. Pretty slow day I was hoping to knock down 10 on the jig today.

Offline delawareriver

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10899 on: Feb 22, 2020, 06:37 PM »
Last weekend I found the Lakers were really responding to dead sticking about 10ft off the bottom. When you mark a fish coming up don't give them time to look at it, start reeling and watch the graph. Let the fish let you know what they want. Every 5 mins reel to the top and drop all the way down to pound bottom. You will pick fish up higher in the water column and off the bottom but 90% of the fish I caught and got to bite came in to the dead stick

Offline catchnofishthisisfun

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10900 on: Feb 22, 2020, 08:24 PM »
Can anyone provide an ice update from Hague Beach, north to Ti?
"One fish. Two fish. Red fish. Blue fish. Black fish. Blue fish. Old fish. New fish. This one has a little star. This one has a little car. Say! What a lot of fish there are."  Dr. Seuss

Offline mee2gofishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10901 on: Feb 22, 2020, 11:14 PM »
Open  water off Hague Beach on Thursday at 10 am. I don't expect to see any hardwater there this year. :-\

Offline adkhuntin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10902 on: Feb 23, 2020, 02:46 AM »
Anyone been before narrows  perch island.  Hen chix. Or calls pen area?

Offline pieman1998

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • just have to ice fish
« Reply #10903 on: Feb 23, 2020, 03:40 AM »
how's nothwest bay for ice

Offline perchinmybucket

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10904 on: Feb 23, 2020, 04:21 AM »
Any solid reports for crown island? I know it just froze last in the area

Offline corey somerville

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10905 on: Feb 23, 2020, 12:19 PM »
how's nothwest bay for ice

Fished the mouth of the bay yesterday.. 7ins 2.5 of good ice the rest was frozen crap. Landed 5 lakers one short. 10 perch 2 smelt.  Was looking for perch. Fished 36fow.  Wheelers and sleds out and about.

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10906 on: Feb 23, 2020, 03:46 PM »
Any solid reports for crown island? I know it just froze last in the area
No good all bad ice and open water real close lots of ridges use ur spud

Offline perchinmybucket

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10907 on: Feb 23, 2020, 05:33 PM »
No good all bad ice and open water real close lots of ridges use ur spud

I didnt see any open water today, made it out to the edge of the old ice to the new black ice, the transition went from around 5-7" to 3" at best east of crown. Had a first timer with me I wasn't going to push it. Saw 2 guys out there in the middle and they didnt stay very long as it started to warm up. There was a fairly wide crack that was around 2 ft wide with 1" of ice. If Snow covered it could get hairy out there. pretty good size pressure crack that runs across the lake but didnt get near it.

Offline blt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10908 on: Feb 23, 2020, 07:51 PM »
Anybody heading out of Vets be careful.  Airboat went up the bay at 8:30 tonight.  The ice was pushing and working the shoreline the past couple days.  Still a lot of open water.  Just hoping they find them O.K.

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10909 on: Feb 24, 2020, 06:40 AM »
I didnt see any open water today, made it out to the edge of the old ice to the new black ice, the transition went from around 5-7" to 3" at best east of crown. Had a first timer with me I wasn't going to push it. Saw 2 guys out there in the middle and they didnt stay very long as it started to warm up. There was a fairly wide crack that was around 2 ft wide with 1" of ice. If Snow covered it could get hairy out there. pretty good size pressure crack that runs across the lake but didnt get near it.
you had to see the huge patch of standing water just ne of crown if you went around the northern point of green island you woulda seen it down that way is real crapty out in front of both islands

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10910 on: Feb 24, 2020, 06:53 AM »
Anybody heading out of Vets be careful.  Airboat went up the bay at 8:30 tonight.  The ice was pushing and working the shoreline the past couple days.  Still a lot of open water.  Just hoping they find them O.K.

That can't be good. I can't imagine it being a drill at 8:30 at night. I just googled Lake George ice rescue and nothing new came up.

It did link to a story from 2010 or so of a couple of people and a dog floating on a breakaway piece of ice who were rescued in the middle of the lake off Pilot Knob by a couple of boats  ……    the piece of ice was 5' x 10'! That must have been quite the experience.
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline perchinmybucket

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10911 on: Feb 24, 2020, 08:48 AM »
you had to see the huge patch of standing water just ne of crown if you went around the northern point of green island you woulda seen it down that way is real crapty out in front of both islands

I walked around the northern point of green and between the islands to the south end of crown. I didn’t see any big patches of open water. I saw the new sheet of black ice East and northeast of crown. I stabbed the edge of it and it was 3”.

Offline njg0621

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10912 on: Feb 24, 2020, 09:22 AM »
It always blows my mind the conditions that are posted on this forum.  I swear people spend more time BS'ing so people don't show up to a spot instead of being honest.  Where are you seeing open water in Northwest? 

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10913 on: Feb 24, 2020, 09:38 AM »
I walked around the northern point of green and between the islands to the south end of crown. I didn’t see any big patches of open water. I saw the new sheet of black ice East and northeast of crown. I stabbed the edge of it and it was 3”.
Must have been a different green and crown island then lol if I can link the drone video I saw after I fished it will confirm, people’s posts and ice conditions dont deter me from an area if a buddy is out somewhere gives me certain information it’s trust worthy and honest if I go out I won’t post on this board about the exact to inch measurements or state how “safe” an area is or isn’t, do you, get out and fish, spud along every step warmer week ahead

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10914 on: Feb 24, 2020, 12:47 PM »
It always blows my mind the conditions that are posted on this forum.  I swear people spend more time BS'ing so people don't show up to a spot instead of being honest.  Where are you seeing open water in Northwest?
Nw bay is frozen can’t say how good others will be able to clarify on here tho, take what people say on this board with a grain of salt, someone just said the airboat went out of vets take that info and do what you want with it most on here won’t deliberately lie to steer people away some might not say where they are or some might be more timid then others to talk about ice or how safe is safe for them doesn’t mean people are lying there’s good ice all over certain parts of the lake just have to be safe about it 

Offline mono_mono

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10915 on: Feb 24, 2020, 01:17 PM »
Nw bay is frozen can’t say how good others will be able to clarify on here tho, take what people say on this board with a grain of salt, someone just said the airboat went out of vets take that info and do what you want with it most on here won’t deliberately lie to steer people away some might not say where they are or some might be more timid then others to talk about ice or how safe is safe for them doesn’t mean people are lying there’s good ice all over certain parts of the lake just have to be safe about it

Huh? lol. That just made me dizzy
Go to Heaven for the climate, to hell for the company!

Offline touge30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10916 on: Feb 24, 2020, 02:13 PM »
this year everything is sketchy quit asking use your best judgement !

Offline Chase88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10917 on: Feb 24, 2020, 03:02 PM »
this year everything is sketchy quit asking use your best judgement !
On Lake George that's good advice every year... the area around Green and Crown is always sketchy,,, current and pressure ridges are in that area no matter on how much ice there is.  I have seen pressure ridges blow open areas 20 feet wide when there was plenty of ice.

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10918 on: Feb 24, 2020, 03:25 PM »
Huh? lol. That just made me dizzy
That’s cool

Offline carpy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10919 on: Feb 24, 2020, 05:20 PM »
The airboat went out of Vets last night for a subject with back spasms. Original call was subject in the water, but it ended up being back spasms.  :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.