Author Topic: Tackle  (Read 4909 times)

Offline dmm26

• IceShanty Rookie
Tackle
« on: Aug 26, 2014, 07:40 PM »
I've seen A LOT of threads on tackle and it's overwhelming.

I'll be starting an ice tackle box from scratch, and will be fishing primarily for walleye and crappie.

What are my must have lures, besides jig heads, of which I have plenty! I also have a bunch of plastic baits in differs sizes and colours.

Thanks!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Tackle
« Reply #1 on: Aug 26, 2014, 08:50 PM »
For Crappies ...waxies on horizontal jig heads...genz worm type ...I like white
tip downs are nice add on
good sensitive rod ..bite detection is key ...spring bobber is a good option on your not so sensitive rods
light line 2 or 3 lbs test....also a swivel ..line twist will make the horizontal jigs spin ...bad bad bad
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Aug 26, 2014, 09:19 PM »
plain Aberdeen hook in size 10 or 12 for crappie do not ever forget to get some split shot if legal in your state helps lower the lure down to the fish faster.  even with ice jigs i put a few splits above the minnow.  since you in to crappie i mentioned another book to you ice fishing secrets also check out the book crappie wisdom great book if you ask me...   isbn on half .com is:  0-9605254-4-0    .    as for walleye's it is tough finding them on some lakes so i would target  crappie more. this is cause  they are easy just plan it with these books they will help seek what you are after and get what your after... i set up in one area for the hole day but move around the lake day to day till you find what your after sooner or later all you got to do is look at a map and you got it...  like those published by the local dnr or etc..     

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Sep 02, 2014, 05:34 PM »
For crappies get a jiggler rod or a pulsator rod 48" or 52 " then get some Hexi fly's and some whips. Fish no deeper than 8 feet. Try shallower. Fish from right under the ice to about half way down. crappies seem to hit coming up most of the time. Dont get discouraged. There is a learning curve.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline Eyes R Bitin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Sep 02, 2014, 07:01 PM »
For walleyes get some Northland Buckshot Rattle Spoons in assorted sizes and colors.  They are the best I have used here.  Also some jigging shad raps and jigging raps.  I have also had goog luck with the Salmo chubby darters.  I just ordered some Rapala Ultralight Rippin Raps I hope will work well too.  Tipped with a couple minnow heads these are all deadly.  If I can't catch eyes on these I'll switch to fishing perch.

I wish there were a bigger population of crappies here.   :-[ :-[

Offline addicted to ice fishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Feeding my addiction one lake at a time
« Reply #5 on: Sep 02, 2014, 11:00 PM »
For crappies, my go to bait is a slender spoon.  I also use Little Cecils, and for night fishing, I use jigs, and spoons that are red glow.  For walleyes, I have had very good success with Reef Runner Cicadas, Salmo darters, and zippers, also rapalas are a good choice.  Good Luck! 

Offline diesel2012

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Sep 02, 2014, 11:16 PM »
A variety of sizes of the slender spoons can't be recommended enough. I've caught everything from gills to walleyes on them. But for crappies horizontal jigs with wax worms or plastics are a safe bet. For walleye's anything that rattles is a safe bet also.

Offline dmm26

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Sep 04, 2014, 06:05 PM »
Thanks guys! That should get me started nicely.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Sep 08, 2014, 07:33 AM »
For eyes check out the moon shines the rest are the guys have covered , wait till you get shopping and have sticker shock, keep your nitro pills handy  :o

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.