Author Topic: North Idaho Ice  (Read 540158 times)

Offline Bonaro70

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: North Idaho Ice
« Reply #4050 on: Feb 18, 2021, 03:06 PM »
Is BNSF allowing you to park at the south end of Cocolalla now?  I heard they were ticketing folks using the crude old boat launch so have not been there in a few years.  Let me know  as I love the south end of Cocolalla for perch.

Offline aza10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4051 on: Feb 18, 2021, 06:45 PM »
Went by and checked cavanaugh bay on my way home from bead. It’s somewhat capped but edges are open. Maybe next year.

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4052 on: Feb 18, 2021, 07:53 PM »
Yes we had same thing we kept about 10 or 15 but I also can deflate their bladder as well

I keep every perch as they over populate and next thing you know they are all ruts.  That's one of the reasons why the FnG put Tiger Muskies in the system,  to thin out the perch so they have size. Besides they make good tomatoes.

Offline Joe34

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4053 on: Feb 18, 2021, 09:34 PM »
Went by and checked cavanaugh bay on my way home from bead. It’s somewhat capped but edges are open. Maybe next year.

How'd you do at Bead? I've wanted to try it for Kokanee..
Life is short. Go fishing.

Offline aza10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4054 on: Feb 18, 2021, 09:36 PM »
How'd you do at Bead? I've wanted to try it for Kokanee..

I was targeting lakers. Done ok the past few days, iced about 10. Also caught a 41.5 “ burbot.

Offline Vandal78

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4055 on: Feb 19, 2021, 11:29 AM »
I was targeting lakers. Done ok the past few days, iced about 10. Also caught a 41.5 “ burbot.

Whats your go to laker setup? Ive always used a drop shot setup with something that looks like a small fish. Through the ice.

Offline troutfool

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4056 on: Feb 19, 2021, 12:51 PM »
Is BNSF allowing you to park at the south end of Cocolalla now?  I heard they were ticketing folks using the crude old boat launch so have not been there in a few years.  Let me know  as I love the south end of Cocolalla for perch.

I drive by everyday, and I've been seeing a lot of people fishing the south end this year presumably by trespassing through the BNSF property.  I doubt that BNSF is allowing the access but their lack of enforcement is certainly emboldening the locals who don't know or don't care.

Offline Skookum1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4057 on: Feb 19, 2021, 03:21 PM »
What were you guys using for trout in Coco? I dont like eating them but I'd love to get in to some thing that pulls harder than a tadpole. ( i.e. perch)

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4058 on: Feb 19, 2021, 03:35 PM »

Oh that was you! Nice fish. I am also on that forum and was the one who provided the link to the Manitoba Master Angler stuff.

Offline aza10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4059 on: Feb 19, 2021, 06:52 PM »
Oh that was you! Nice fish. I am also on that forum and was the one who provided the link to the Manitoba Master Angler stuff.

Thanks for the info! I think I’m going to get a replica made. With that big of a burbot and a near double digit laker morning is a day I need to remember.

Offline aza10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4060 on: Feb 19, 2021, 06:58 PM »
Ok pickled fish experts I need help.  I rushed getting my fish in the first brine and forgot the pickling salt. Can I save this by adding some and letting it sit another few days or did I ruin all of it?

Offline TOMINATER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4061 on: Feb 19, 2021, 07:48 PM »
How's the ice at Cocolalla? Any tips for fishing it?

Offline catskinner

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Why can't it go from warm to instant fishable ice?
« Reply #4062 on: Feb 19, 2021, 10:05 PM »
Ice was great 4"+clear 1-2" white on top. We were fishing small spoons tipped with maggots in 35' of water, rattle the bottom and pick up a couple inches and twitch. Good luck
Doing what I do best, exploiting the natural resources of the world.

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4063 on: Feb 20, 2021, 09:22 AM »
Ice was great 4"+clear 1-2" white on top. We were fishing small spoons tipped with maggots in 35' of water, rattle the bottom and pick up a couple inches and twitch. Good luck

My wife claims they bite best when the trains are passing by, so hang on then.   Otherwide 2X.

Offline catskinner

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Why can't it go from warm to instant fishable ice?
« Reply #4064 on: Feb 20, 2021, 04:47 PM »
My wife claims they bite best when the trains are passing by, so hang on then.   Otherwide 2X.
One of the guys I fished with other day said the same thing about the train. lol
Doing what I do best, exploiting the natural resources of the world.

Offline S.moyer0331

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4065 on: Feb 20, 2021, 06:11 PM »
Had a solid 100 perch day on Cocollala today.  Some pretty solid slabs in the bunch and a pretty good cat.  Your train theory isn't rumor, it's fact. Everytime the train went by the perch would stir up on the flasher. We fished the north end today and it was a zoo but by the looks of it most did well. Green was the ticket today, morning it was maggots, afternoon was perch eyes. Ice was a solid 6-8 inches of crystal clear.  And no, I don't ice fish in street shoes, the new guy forgot his boots 😂

sihlms391

« Reply #4066 on: Feb 20, 2021, 06:32 PM »
Nice job. 

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4067 on: Feb 20, 2021, 07:34 PM »
I fished Cocolalla today.  Looked like a record turnout.  44 cars in the lot on the north end when I got there and 60+ when I left.  They were parking way down the street and around the corner.  Looked like most every one had at least some fish.  Some did very well.  I fished 3 hours and had 30 perch and 2 nice trout.   7" of good ice.   

Offline TOMINATER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4068 on: Feb 20, 2021, 07:40 PM »
What am I doing wrong? Everytime I go ice fishing I get skunked! Was at Cocolalla with some friends today for about 2 hours and caught nothing!

Offline aza10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4069 on: Feb 20, 2021, 08:02 PM »
A few decent north idaho perch for your viewing pleasure.

Offline Skookum1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4070 on: Feb 20, 2021, 08:24 PM »
Fished with S.Moyer today (I did Not forget my boots) it was busy but good.

Offline jagmt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4071 on: Feb 20, 2021, 11:20 PM »
What am I doing wrong? Everytime I go ice fishing I get skunked! Was at Cocolalla with some friends today for about 2 hours and caught nothing!

It can be frustrating. If you fishing for perch, find 25-35 feet of water. Electronics help but you don’t need them. Small jigs like ratsos, jigging spoons like Hali, Swedish pimple, etc...generally chartreuse or glow...tip with one to three maggots. Drop it to the bottom and real up one to one and a half turns. Rotate between short jigs and just bouncing it...let it rest a few seconds and try again...once again electronics really help figure out what presentation the perch want. Hope that helps.

Offline S.moyer0331

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4072 on: Feb 21, 2021, 01:01 AM »
It can be frustrating. If you fishing for perch, find 25-35 feet of water. Electronics help but you don’t need them. Small jigs like ratsos, jigging spoons like Hali, Swedish pimple, etc...generally chartreuse or glow...tip with one to three maggots. Drop it to the bottom and real up one to one and a half turns. Rotate between short jigs and just bouncing it...let it rest a few seconds and try again...once again electronics really help figure out what presentation the perch want. Hope that helps.

This is what worked for us, any green jig was the ticket today.  Free floating line blade really seemed to help, but our two buddies didn't have them and were doing well too. 

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4073 on: Feb 21, 2021, 06:43 AM »
Go early and go late for perch.  They feed on blood worms and do not waste energy when they are not available, which is early and late in the day.  I fish with someone on the South end years ago and they left skunked at 3 pm. About 4 pm it was lights out as you could barely get it down the hole.  On the North end just go out to the 35 feet of water and use a blue and silver 1/4 oz castmaster and pound the bottom a few time and then jig it above botton and the do nothing to give them a chance to bite.  Use perch eyeballs too as sometimes that makes the difference.  Well it 442am gotta go fishing.

Offline S.moyer0331

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4074 on: Feb 23, 2021, 05:39 PM »
There was a few die hards on cocollalla today.

Why do you say die hards? Ice bad or something? Planning on hitting up cocollala in the morning

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4075 on: Feb 23, 2021, 06:31 PM »
We should be good until the end of the month if it gets cold again this weekend.

Offline CMS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4076 on: Feb 23, 2021, 06:46 PM »
Why do you say die hards? Ice bad or something? Planning on hitting up cocollala in the morning

There’s probably not many perch left after this weekend.

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4077 on: Feb 23, 2021, 07:04 PM »
Plenty of perch left in Cocolalla.  Only about 5% of the lake ever gets fished in the winter. 

Offline CMS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4078 on: Feb 23, 2021, 07:06 PM »
That’s good news, I was trying to be sarcastic

Offline S.moyer0331

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4079 on: Feb 23, 2021, 07:21 PM »
There’s probably not many perch left after this weekend.

😂😂 Fair enough

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.