Author Topic: North Idaho Ice  (Read 540193 times)

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: North Idaho Ice
« Reply #3630 on: Dec 24, 2019, 12:24 AM »
Any new information on ice conditions up in bonners ferry area if ice is still safe I'd like to make a trip up there this weekend after xmas
Fishaholic yes I am do I need help only with finding a bigger place to store all my stuff

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3631 on: Dec 26, 2019, 08:34 AM »
Checked out upper Twin Christmas day.  Better then I expected.  Still totally frozen over, but only an inch or less thick.  Better conditions on the way.  Cross your fingers.  Went home and fired up the auger and charged the flasher.  I am ready.

Offline plfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3632 on: Dec 26, 2019, 04:45 PM »
Checked  Chase Lake this morning.  5” at the dock (someone had drilled a hole and it was open) and then went out about 150 yards drilling a half dozen holes.  All 4.5 - 5” (measured) and solid ice all the way through.  Could see a couple of spots where water was seeping through and checked one spot where a spring had opened the ice and then refroze. It was 5” with a 1” slush layer half way down. 

Might try to fish it in a few days.  I did not test the middle and usually it is not as thick out there. I’m going to give it a few more days with the temps and see if it can add some ice. I usually don’t see the spring holes out there....so that’s telling me conditions are not consistent yet.  Be careful....Chase is one of the early lakes to form decent ice and it still could use a couple of cold nights.....other lakes may not be fully there either.

sihlms391

« Reply #3633 on: Dec 26, 2019, 07:35 PM »
Checked
Mirror- lot of open water
Gamble- iced over all.   Edges soft     
               Couldn't check ice.
Kelso-iced over completely.   Inch around
              dock.
Granite-iced over completely.   About 2
              inches clear ice just off dock.
MC Arthur- ice over but didn't check it.   
                       Wet spots on top.

Offline IcekiddKt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3634 on: Dec 28, 2019, 10:25 AM »
Thanks for the info!

Offline S.moyer0331

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3635 on: Dec 28, 2019, 06:49 PM »
Checked  Chase Lake this morning.  5” at the dock (someone had drilled a hole and it was open) and then went out about 150 yards drilling a half dozen holes.  All 4.5 - 5” (measured) and solid ice all the way through.  Could see a couple of spots where water was seeping through and checked one spot where a spring had opened the ice and then refroze. It was 5” with a 1” slush layer half way down. 

Might try to fish it in a few days.  I did not test the middle and usually it is not as thick out there. I’m going to give it a few more days with the temps and see if it can add some ice. I usually don’t see the spring holes out there....so that’s telling me conditions are not consistent yet.  Be careful....Chase is one of the early lakes to form decent ice and it still could use a couple of cold nights.....other lakes may not be fully there either.

Any update on chase?

Offline plfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3636 on: Dec 28, 2019, 07:08 PM »
Just walked in the door from Chase Lake.  5” of solid ice out to the middle with an inch of light fluffy snow on top.  Fished for an hour and a half right before dark.  Had 3 poles in the water.....two were dead sticking...one with teardrop jig tipped with maggots and one with crappie nibbles. Not a thing on these two.  The third was a Swedish pimple tipped with maggots and caught 3 largemouth all 11-12”.

Might check out Blue Lake tomorrow if I have time.

Offline Hood

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3637 on: Dec 28, 2019, 09:16 PM »
Just walked in the door from Chase Lake.  5” of solid ice out to the middle with an inch of light fluffy snow on top.  Fished for an hour and a half right before dark.  Had 3 poles in the water.....two were dead sticking...one with teardrop jig tipped with maggots and one with crappie nibbles. Not a thing on these two.  The third was a Swedish pimple tipped with maggots and caught 3 largemouth all 11-12”.

Might check out Blue Lake tomorrow if I have time.

Where is the access on Blue?

Offline S.moyer0331

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3638 on: Dec 29, 2019, 02:24 AM »
Where is the access on Blue?

North side of the lake, it's a pretty small lake, only takes 10 mins to walk across the whole thing

Offline Hood

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3639 on: Dec 29, 2019, 01:40 PM »
North side of the lake, it's a pretty small lake, only takes 10 mins to walk across the whole thing

Thank you!

Offline aza10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3640 on: Dec 29, 2019, 07:45 PM »
Anyone make it out to blue? Thinking of heading up this week. No safe ice in the sagle area.

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3641 on: Dec 29, 2019, 08:43 PM »
Dawson lake is safe was on it yesterday sadly don't know it to well and only got 2 perch
Fishaholic yes I am do I need help only with finding a bigger place to store all my stuff

Offline S.moyer0331

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3642 on: Dec 30, 2019, 12:17 AM »
Anyone make it out to blue? Thinking of heading up this week. No safe ice in the sagle area.

Well Chase is fishable and sacheen is fishable. Blue is in the middle of those two lakes going north so I can confidently say it's probably fishable. I'm headed up there tomorrow, will update tomorrow when I get home

Offline plfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3643 on: Dec 30, 2019, 10:11 AM »
Checked blue yesterday. 5”- 5.5” headed through the channel and 4” about 75’ past the beaver lodge.   I didn’t go out further due to some time constraints.  Normally just past the beaver lodge and to the right (west) the ice is a bit thinner and can hold more surface water/slush.  Didn’t see surface water but overall the ice did not seem as firm as Chase.  My hunch is that the ice is not as thick or as firm further out.  Last night was in the low 20’s so that may have changed a few things. Saw one set of tracks where someone spudded their way out about 100 feet further and that was it.

Would be good to get a better report further out on the ice. 

Offline catskinner

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Why can't it go from warm to instant fishable ice?
« Reply #3644 on: Dec 30, 2019, 12:36 PM »
Checked blue yesterday. 5”- 5.5” headed through the channel and 4” about 75’ past the beaver lodge.   I didn’t go out further due to some time constraints.  Normally just past the beaver lodge and to the right (west) the ice is a bit thinner and can hold more surface water/slush.  Didn’t see surface water but overall the ice did not seem as firm as Chase.  My hunch is that the ice is not as thick or as firm further out.  Last night was in the low 20’s so that may have changed a few things. Saw one set of tracks where someone spudded their way out about 100 feet further and that was it.

Would be good to get a better report further out on the ice.

In regards to beaver lodges and thin ice. Where there are active beaver lodges the beaver going in and out makes the ice thinner over the entrance to the lodge. If you approach a lodge be sure to have a spud and tap ahead of you when you approach the lodge listening for a hollow sound. Be sure to tap on both sides of your path. These entrances may be multiple so don't assume having found one that that is it. These areas of thin ice will be narrow usually about 1' and the ice will be about 1'' to 3'' thick with air between the ice and the water. Just a caution for those not familiar with areas that have beaver. Tight lines everyone.
Doing what I do best, exploiting the natural resources of the world.

Offline S.moyer0331

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3645 on: Dec 30, 2019, 11:02 PM »
Fished blue today. 6 inches of good ice all the way across, with 7 closer to the south end.  Put about a half dozen crappie and a half dozen perch in the ice between the two of us. Just fished the afternoon until dark. Nothing worth bragging about but hey, it's hard water so i can't complain. Going to hit Curlew on Friday, I'll post an update then.

Offline IdahoJoe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3646 on: Dec 31, 2019, 10:08 AM »
Any updates on Avondale or Kelso, Cocololla??

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3647 on: Dec 31, 2019, 11:02 AM »
No safe ice on avondale the whole lake was open water just a few days ago

Offline aza10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3648 on: Dec 31, 2019, 01:24 PM »
Any updates on Avondale or Kelso, Cocololla??

Cocololla and is still open water as of yesterday as well as mirror, I also checked round and shepherd and both were iced over with about 2" at the end of the docks.  Looks like someone was punching holes and fishing off the dock at round recently.

Offline spiltmilt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3649 on: Dec 31, 2019, 04:06 PM »
Man a rough year for north Idaho ice. You all are welcome to come over to north-central Washington anytime!!!

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3650 on: Dec 31, 2019, 04:12 PM »
Man a rough year for north Idaho ice. You all are welcome to come over to north-central Washington anytime!!!
It's a rough year for the whole state, not much ice in the southern portion yet, a few lakes have some, drove 3 hours last week to fish during my son's break in wrestling.

Offline smitty661

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3651 on: Jan 02, 2020, 06:30 AM »
Hey guys, I just stumbled across this forum and it sounded like exactly what I was looking for. Im new to north Idaho, I live in Coeur d'Alene. Ive never ice fished before but the family got me some gear for Christmas and im really wanting to get out. I don't know where the lakes are that you guys are talking about, except Dawson. Is Dawson the closest lake to CDA that has safe ice right now? Thanks in advance.

Smitty

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3652 on: Jan 02, 2020, 08:55 AM »

Hey guys, I just stumbled across this forum and it sounded like exactly what I was looking for. Im new to north Idaho, I live in Coeur d'Alene. Ive never ice fished before but the family got me some gear for Christmas and im really wanting to get out. I don't know where the lakes are that you guys are talking about, except Dawson. Is Dawson the closest lake to CDA that has safe ice right now? Thanks in advance.

Smitty

Freeman is actually the closest to cda it's by old town idaho/ Newport Washington it's the only lake within a hour drive in any direction that has safe ice last I heard

Offline S.moyer0331

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3653 on: Jan 02, 2020, 12:49 PM »
Freeman, blue, Chase, sacheen (WA), Dawson, Robinson, brush all have fishable ice and are all reasonable day trips in the CDA area

Offline smitty661

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3654 on: Jan 02, 2020, 04:59 PM »
Awesome, thank you. I think I’ll head out tomorrow morning to check out freeman or blue lake. This will be my first time ever and I will be by myself. I don’t have a spud bar, is that ok or should I go get one? I was thinking I’d just drill some holes on my way out or hopefully follow someone else’s tracks.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3655 on: Jan 02, 2020, 05:27 PM »
Spud bar not needed, just drill a lot of holes heading to were you want to go. Could follow someone's tracks, but I'd drill a hole just to verify ice thickness, also wear a set of ice picks for just in case, without knowing lakes, springs, current, snow cover can affect ice thickness. Just be careful, no fish worth swimming for.

Offline catskinner

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Why can't it go from warm to instant fishable ice?
« Reply #3656 on: Jan 03, 2020, 12:09 AM »
Awesome, thank you. I think I’ll head out tomorrow morning to check out freeman or blue lake. This will be my first time ever and I will be by myself. I don’t have a spud bar, is that ok or should I go get one? I was thinking I’d just drill some holes on my way out or hopefully follow someone else’s tracks.

You should at least have a spud bar. I am free tomorrow and would go with you if you can give me a ride. I have an auger, spud bar and lots of gear. I used to live up in that area and know it well. There are tiger muskie in there I can bring some hotdogs for bait. I also have small jigs and maggots for the small fish. I live in Otis Orchards, WA
Doing what I do best, exploiting the natural resources of the world.

Offline smitty661

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3657 on: Jan 03, 2020, 12:38 AM »
Pm sent

Offline aza10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3658 on: Jan 03, 2020, 05:20 PM »
Fished blue today. It was a pretty rainy morning but the Perch bite was steady. No luck on any pike or tigers. Ice was 4-6” with a soft slushy top.

Offline CMS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3659 on: Jan 03, 2020, 06:55 PM »
Any size to the perch?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.