Author Topic: North Idaho Ice  (Read 540214 times)

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: North Idaho Ice
« Reply #2280 on: Dec 29, 2015, 03:40 PM »
The perch range from 1"-14" the crappies tend to be bigger I've seen 16" crappies pulled out  now the trout are 6"+ I pulled two nice 10" trout out
Fishaholic yes I am do I need help only with finding a bigger place to store all my stuff

Offline icebomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2281 on: Dec 29, 2015, 07:02 PM »
Hit Avondale for the 1st time. More dinky perch than you can shake a stick at. I was just happy to be walking on water. I caught a planter trout and ended with a largemouth.

Offline icebomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2282 on: Dec 29, 2015, 07:06 PM »
The perch range from 1"-14" the crappies tend to be bigger I've seen 16" crappies pulled out  now the trout are 6"+ I pulled two nice 10" trout out

I would have loved to have found some of those crappies. I would have settled for a perch bigger than 9.

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2283 on: Dec 29, 2015, 07:14 PM »
Well come on down Avondale tomorrow and we will try to get you some of those big old perch now as for the crappies good luck I have never caught a crappie while ice fishing but have during the summer
Fishaholic yes I am do I need help only with finding a bigger place to store all my stuff

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2284 on: Dec 29, 2015, 07:20 PM »
Yesterday I was out and had an average of 9 inch perch

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2285 on: Dec 29, 2015, 07:29 PM »
Round Lake report : 
                                  3 1/2" of milky ice,  I'm 210#, did a heal pound/jump without cracking.   Only one fellow on the ice, about 15' off the dock said he didn't want to get out too far until more ice forms, he looked to be 150#.
I really think a few more days are needed.         ;)2

Offline atholmike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2286 on: Dec 29, 2015, 10:52 PM »
Idahogator- He didn't have a rope tided to the dock huh?

Offline atholmike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2287 on: Dec 29, 2015, 10:54 PM »
What is the ice conditions on Avondale?

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2288 on: Dec 29, 2015, 11:15 PM »
Idahogator- He didn't have a rope tided to the dock huh?

Ha, good one ~ though it may have been the wise thing to do.     :roflmao: :roflmao:

sihlms391

« Reply #2289 on: Dec 30, 2015, 02:30 AM »
Talked to some guys that was sportsman access Monday and only 2 inches ice.  By Thursday I will be good.

Offline atholmike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2290 on: Dec 30, 2015, 10:33 AM »
Idahogator- I did that last year the last time I went out to a lake that I will not name because I wanted to limit out on trout 1 more time. I had limited out 7 consecutive times and the ice was getting thin :icefish: :thumbsup:

Offline icebomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2291 on: Dec 30, 2015, 10:49 AM »
Well come on down Avondale tomorrow and we will try to get you some of those big old perch now as for the crappies good luck I have never caught a crappie while ice fishing but have during the summer

Got to work or I would. We must have been out there the same time, yesterday.

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2292 on: Dec 30, 2015, 12:56 PM »
Today was nice on Avondale got a nice 12 1/2" perch, 4 trout, and about 37 perch ranging from 5-9 inches  (pike bait). I did get some big bluegills as well but I let them go. It was nice safe ice 4"-5"

sihlms391

« Reply #2293 on: Dec 31, 2015, 10:40 AM »
Upper twin yesterday had 6 inches of rot ice.  Should be firm after last night.

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2294 on: Dec 31, 2015, 01:24 PM »
That's safe ice still right

Offline CMS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2295 on: Dec 31, 2015, 02:08 PM »
Ok, I am thinking about trying Avondale this weekend. I have never been there so don't know where is ok to park and fish. If anyone could tell me some details I would greatly appreciate as will my son who is just as antsy as I am. Also, it sounds like freeman lake( just out of Oldtown) is still unsafe, a deer fell through o couple days ago.

Thanks

Offline WinterWizard

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2296 on: Dec 31, 2015, 02:56 PM »
Does Avondale have pike?? Thanks

sihlms391

« Reply #2297 on: Dec 31, 2015, 03:06 PM »
Upper twin should be fine after one more night single digits

Offline stjoemitch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2298 on: Dec 31, 2015, 04:31 PM »
Thompson is still a little 'iffy".  3-4 " of milky ice.  A dozen people on the ice on the west end.

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2299 on: Dec 31, 2015, 05:54 PM »
Trout on Avondale are either going to be up top or on the bottom  (I know this cause I caught 3 a foot off the bottom when I was trying for perch yesterday . The trout bit was slow today but if you got any gold jigs use them the perch are really liking them

Offline icebomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2300 on: Dec 31, 2015, 07:26 PM »
So I found a couple crappie today. Only 8 or 9 inches but you are right, they are in there.

Offline BIGxJIMxSLADE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2301 on: Dec 31, 2015, 08:37 PM »
 @CMS - Right where you see the office building and the sign with an "A" on your left, park right across from that office/food building, or in the lot next to it.   The only public access is right there, down the hill where you see people have gone. You can fish anywhere you can walk to.

Took all the gear out on Avondale to see what needed fixing up. Fished from 12 to 4pm. Ended up with 4 trout in the 10 - 12" range, 30+ pike bait perch to brine up and freeze, and tossed back 1 small bluegill. The ticket was definitely perch eyes today. They didn't seem to want the maggots. All fish caught within a foot or so of the bottom.

Ice was 4 to 5" of clear with an inch or so of powder on top.

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2302 on: Jan 01, 2016, 07:32 PM »
Well got all the bait out ready for tomorrow morning going to go get some big pike and maybe some geese while I wait for the pike

Offline plfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2303 on: Jan 02, 2016, 10:28 AM »
Thinking of heading to Round this afternoon.  Any updates on conditions for the past couple of days?

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2304 on: Jan 02, 2016, 03:09 PM »
Conditions in my yard this morning was  eight below zero.      Yeehaw !

Offline plfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2305 on: Jan 02, 2016, 08:15 PM »
Thought I'd make Round Lake today...but ran out of time.  I did make it to Blue Lake for a very short trip this afternoon and two of us had no bites and no action.  Ice was variable with 5 inches at the end of the channel leading to the main part of the Lake (with one slush layer sandwiched in there).  About 150 feet out from the cattail edge the ice was 7.5 inches with the same slush layer and a second slush layer about an inch from the bottom.  Both slush layers were about 1/2 to 3/4 inches thick with very hard ice in between.  There was 1" of very light snow on top of the ice.  Once it warms back up to around freezing it might be something to think about how the warmer temps affect the slush layers. 

Plan is to head out in the morning and hit Round.  Hopefully things work out to make it there.

Offline atholmike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2306 on: Jan 02, 2016, 11:15 PM »
I went to Sheperd lk. and had 4 in of ice about 100 ft out. I did not go much further out as I was alone and I know there are some springs in that lake. I caught a few perch nothing to brag about.  :-X

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2307 on: Jan 03, 2016, 01:00 PM »
Just heard from someone that a guy went through one twin lakes don't know if it was upper or lower. If it's true guys we need to be more careful out there

Offline WinterWizard

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2308 on: Jan 03, 2016, 01:37 PM »
I heard the same from a friend who lives near there. She said it was Upper Twin. He got out by himself and is ok.

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2309 on: Jan 03, 2016, 02:38 PM »
Ok well looks like I'll stay at Avondale  (ice is really thick)or hayden if it gets more ice

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.