Author Topic: North Idaho Ice  (Read 540275 times)

Offline atholmike

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: North Idaho Ice
« Reply #2010 on: Jan 08, 2015, 09:33 AM »
My blood pressure definitely went up.

Offline baetis_elk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2011 on: Jan 08, 2015, 10:51 AM »
Glad to hear that you're still above ice Mike.  Was the 4 1/2 inches of ice you mentioned still good hard ice or had it honeycombed?  It would be good for folks to remember that as we endure a warm trend in the weather the quality/strength of the ice may/will deteriorate, requiring thicker ice to hold a person up safely.

Offline atholmike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2012 on: Jan 08, 2015, 11:14 AM »
On Granite the ice was mostly clear with some white in it. On kelso it had more white in it but there was quite a bit of clear ice.  It was also kind of hard to tell because of the water and slush on top. Also when my leg went through I might  have also stepped in a old hole. I had walked with in 3 or 4 ft of that spot several times. :whistle:

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2013 on: Jan 08, 2015, 12:24 PM »
Was out on Avondale the ice has about 1.5" of slush but the ice 40 yards out is still good caught 10 fish (only there from 7:30 to 8:20) the fish seemed to like really small jigs with only 2 spikes on them and you can use what ever style of jigging you like it didn't matter to them they are hungry
Fishaholic yes I am do I need help only with finding a bigger place to store all my stuff

Offline NedShneebly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2014 on: Jan 08, 2015, 12:51 PM »
Glad everyone's still ice fishing despite the unfavorable weather!! Be safe out there! The weather is saying its suppose to get in the 19° range tonight, I'm hoping that will freeze some of that slush on top of the ice. I'm gonna try the chain lakes tomorrow and try for some northerns.

Offline baetis_elk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2015 on: Jan 08, 2015, 02:22 PM »
Thanks for the extra info Mike.  The "old hole" theory hadn't crossed my mind and helps the whole situation make more sense to me.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2016 on: Jan 08, 2015, 02:30 PM »
When the warm-ups enlarge the holes, skis may keep ya dry.     :woot: :roflmao:

Offline stjoemitch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2017 on: Jan 08, 2015, 09:17 PM »
Fished the east end of Fernan again today. Action not quite as good as Tuesday, but managed to catch a couple of dozen perch and two trout. Ice was OK, Slush on top half frozen. More solid than Tuesday, but broke through about 2" as I made my way from hole to hole. Perch btie was very soft.

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2018 on: Jan 09, 2015, 05:21 PM »
Any word on what Hayden ice looks like
Fishaholic yes I am do I need help only with finding a bigger place to store all my stuff

Offline NedShneebly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2019 on: Jan 09, 2015, 10:27 PM »
I heard Hayden was packed out by the sportsman access. I didn't hear anyone catching anything but I assume the ice is good.

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2020 on: Jan 10, 2015, 01:42 AM »
Well I will find a place to fish I'm more interested in what the conditions of the ice look like but I'm going to be heading out tomorrow anyway so I'll let everyone know when I get home tomorrow night or when I'm out there

Offline BIGxJIMxSLADE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2021 on: Jan 10, 2015, 05:31 PM »
Hit Avondale today from about 10:30 to 2:30.
Ice was still good with about 3 inches of clear topped by 2 inches of white ice on top.
First hour caught 0. Changed jig from green to pink and couldn't keep them off the hook after that. All small perch at 4 to 8 inches.
Think I will go again tomorrow as well.

Offline stjoemitch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2022 on: Jan 10, 2015, 08:46 PM »
Fished Fernan with my nephew.  Took two hours of drilling holes, but we finally found them at 9:30 AM and managed to bucket about 40 perch and two trout.

Offline sticksandstring

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2023 on: Jan 10, 2015, 11:16 PM »
Fished the boat launch at chatcolet. Slow day maybe 20 small perch and no flags. Fished from 7am to 2pm. A good 3.5 inches of ice. Goose hunter went by in his air boat talk about crazy water was coming out of the holes about 3 inches and could feel the waves under the ice.

Offline Packernut

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2024 on: Jan 11, 2015, 01:06 AM »
Fished Fernan again today 9:00-2:00..  Bite was soft. Only managed 6 perch.  Stayed in one spot though so the perch had to find me.  A few others also said it was much slower than last weekend.  Ice was in good shape with the slush frozen solid.   A total of 6 inches to drill through.  I would say 1/2 great ice and 1/2 snow/ slush.  Staying home to watch the Packers beat the Cowboys Sunday although fishing with a portable TV did cross my mind. 

Packernut

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2025 on: Jan 11, 2015, 07:29 AM »
Well I got some new gear ( mouth spreaders and long pliers) cause I was tired of my fingers getting chewed up

Offline NedShneebly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2026 on: Jan 11, 2015, 11:15 AM »
Fished Thompson lake yesterday and cave lake the day before. It was dead. No flags both days. Caught one huge crappie and a couple small perch. Chain lakes have been dead the past couple of days. Ice is still plenty good.

Offline DEER4DINNER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2027 on: Jan 12, 2015, 11:45 AM »
Fished Fernan with my bro yesterday (Sunday) from about 10:30 - 1:30.  Got a late start because I was waiting for Blacksheep and Petco to open.  FYI - Petco was completely out of meal worms so bought some maggots from Blacksheep and some small, poor quality, meal worms from Duncan's Pet Shop. 

For the first couple hours or so we had the entire lake to ourselves.  Peaceful.  Guess everyone was home watching football.  We only managed to catch 3 trout.  Couldn't find any perch.  Had a few other small bites.  Had one tip-up out, never had a flag.  We fished the far side near the cliffs across from the second big turn-out in about 20' of water.  Ice was good.  Probably a total of 7", half of which is frozen slush.  Saw another post that said someone managed to bucket 40 perch...  Any info on what part of the lake to find the perch would be great.

My bro decided to head home and watch football, I decided to drive to Upper Twin to check out the conditions.  Ice was good with about the same 7" mix as Fernan.  I fished for an hour or so and caught about 20 dinky perch.  Par for the course up there.  Don't think I caught one over 6".  Seems they're stunted out.  Probably time for F&G to plant some Tigers. 

Anyone been out to Hayden?  Report, conditions?

Offline stjoemitch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2028 on: Jan 12, 2015, 04:18 PM »
Fished Black Lake today on the North side. Walked across and fished the outlet for pike and perch. No flags and only 3 perch and I had to work for those.  Fishing Buddy didn't mark but three fish. Very slow!
As far as Fernan location for perch 18 FOY, but no rhyme or reason for location.  Got lucky in three holes, a school came through and fishing was good for a few minutes, then dead again. Fishing mainly the east side, but no pattern as of yet.

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2029 on: Jan 12, 2015, 05:26 PM »
I've never fished Fernan and am wondering do you just take the 90 East from 95 and look for some sportmans access road or is there a better way to get on the ice? Thanks for the advice in advance, I have never fished this lake at all and would prefer to stay above the ice. :)

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2030 on: Jan 12, 2015, 06:10 PM »
Same question - Chatcolet.

Do either Fernan or Chatcolet have good ice on them yet?

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2031 on: Jan 12, 2015, 06:13 PM »
Just "where", not about ice.

Zoom in for more detail.      http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Fernan%20Lake%20Village&state=ID

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2032 on: Jan 12, 2015, 06:20 PM »
Thank you Idahogator! I really appreciate it!
Last year was my first year back in the area for ice fishing and we fished Round (up near Sandpoint), Spring Valley, Winchester, McArthur (near Elmira), Moose Creek and Upper Twin but we never got into any perch with any size. Just dinks and farm trout for the most part. I am on a mission this season. :)

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2033 on: Jan 12, 2015, 06:24 PM »
Need get into Lake Pend Oreille for larger perch, and if you can find them, a secret note would be welcome, ha.    ;)2

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2034 on: Jan 12, 2015, 06:25 PM »
I waited all last season to try to get into Sunnyside on the big lake, but was told the ice was no good or non-existent all winter. I grew up in Sandpoint and have fond memories of big perch on that lake. :)

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2035 on: Jan 12, 2015, 06:48 PM »
Yup, only pucker ice last year, ha. 

Hm, a few things are clicking in my mind, may I ask if you're a machinist ?

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2036 on: Jan 12, 2015, 07:03 PM »
Not a machinist. I work in IT.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2037 on: Jan 12, 2015, 07:12 PM »
Ok, that cleared my mind, ha.

Offline NedShneebly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2038 on: Jan 12, 2015, 07:52 PM »
Went to Chatcolet today, ice was about 3 1/2". 3rd day in a row on the chain lakes with no flags....where the heck are the pike!!?? Killarney had about 2- 2 1/2" a week and a half ago, I doubt it has much more now. Thompson had about 3-4 inches of ice. I had no luck there either. Cave lake has about 3-4 inches as well. Where on the twin lakes can you try for pike? I've haven't been out there in years.

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2039 on: Jan 13, 2015, 06:38 AM »
I have heard that Upper Twin has pike, but that is all I know. The few guys I saw fish for them marched straight across the lake from the launch to the far side. One of them said he caught a small mouth, but no pike spotted that day. (last season)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.