Author Topic: North Idaho Ice  (Read 540202 times)

Offline elkhuntinfool

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: North Idaho Ice
« Reply #1950 on: Dec 30, 2014, 02:38 PM »
If I can get all my stuff done around the house this afternoon I'm gonna take a drive and check out a few places

Offline icebomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1951 on: Dec 30, 2014, 02:41 PM »
I think I'll be staying closer to home for my first trip this year idahogator. I just drove around Fernan and it's completely capped over. I may punch some holes sooner than this weekend.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #1952 on: Dec 30, 2014, 02:44 PM »
I had -9* last night.   A few more of those and we're set.     :thumbsup:

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1953 on: Dec 30, 2014, 02:49 PM »
Took a drive to several of the local lakes this morning.  Starting to look better.   Round Lake is frozen over.  1 1/2 inch at the dock but less in some places.  Cocolalla is about 90% frozen over.  Only about an inch at the boat launch with some thinner  spots in places.   Kelso had about an 1 1/2 inches at the dock.  Upper Twin was mostly covered but pretty thin (1/2 inch or less).  Lower Twin was starting to ice up, but looked like the wind worked it over pretty good.  It won't be long, but be careful out there.....

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #1954 on: Dec 30, 2014, 03:01 PM »
Good news report BlueDuck.  Thanks.    ;)2

Offline plfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1955 on: Dec 30, 2014, 05:57 PM »
Checked Chase Lake just south of Priest Lake this afternoon.  We had -6 last night and about 7 inches of new snow Sunday morning.  Right off the dock it's a solid 6 inches. About 50 feet out you can see the effects of the new snow hitting before the cold. The top layer is 1/2 inch thick with a water layer of 2 1/2 inches and then about a 3 inch solid layer at the bottom.  Still needs a few more days.  Chase had a thin ice layer the last few weeks and with the warmer temps had standing water in spots.  Then the snow hit and insulated some of it.  The winds yesterday helped with clearing some of the snow so hopefully the snow blanket isn't as heavy.

Will try Blue Lake tomorrow north of Priest River and see how thick and solid things are there. Hopefully the profile is more solid all the way through.

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1956 on: Dec 30, 2014, 06:41 PM »
Tomorrow I'll do a thickness test on Avondale
Fishaholic yes I am do I need help only with finding a bigger place to store all my stuff

Offline atholmike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1957 on: Dec 30, 2014, 09:48 PM »
Raynebidziil22   I took my boat out on CDA lake Sun. I was checking out the Bald Eagles. I went into Wolf lodge bay, Blue creek &  Beauty bays and I did not see any signs of ice. I did see about 89 eagles but it was hard to see some of the Eagles because of snow in the trees.

sihlms391

« Reply #1958 on: Dec 30, 2014, 11:04 PM »
Just went Dow to fernan dock and it is three inches.    By Thursday it might be good

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1959 on: Dec 31, 2014, 12:11 AM »
Thanks atholmike but that many eagles means I'm going to have to find a new place to hunt on the 3 but I am so glad I will get to go Ice fishing on my birthday
Fishaholic yes I am do I need help only with finding a bigger place to store all my stuff

Offline plfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1960 on: Dec 31, 2014, 04:03 PM »
Just got back from Blue Lake (north of Priest River).  The access to the lake goes through a small channel in the cattails that's about 125 feet long.  10 feet from shore (1 foot of water) was 5 inches of solid ice. 25 feet from shore was 4 1/2 inches.  50 feet out was 4 inches.  About 75 out I drilled and when I broke through had a pretty good crack and pop sound.  3.5 - 4 inches here and I didn't like the sound or feel of that popping.  Just before you break out to the main part of the lake there is some darker looking ice that didn't look right.   There also is a beaver lodge right there as well so I have a feeling that the beavers were keeping some of the ice open when it was thinner.  Not sure on the depth or quality of the main part of the lake....but I wasn't going to check until things got a bit thicker.  Hopefully a couple more days of the cold will help.

Any reports on some of the Sandpoint area lakes (like Round)?  I'm assuming they didn't have an ice layer prior to the snow hitting and may be thickening faster than the lakes around Priest Lake that have a snow blanket on.

Offline elkhuntinfool

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1961 on: Dec 31, 2014, 04:55 PM »
Drove out by upper twin this morning and there was an inch of ice right at the boat launch. Went by Avondale and there was a group of 6-8 people out skating

Offline Packernut

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1962 on: Dec 31, 2014, 05:47 PM »
Drove by Fernan around 2:00 today and there were people on the ice at the launch.  4 inches of good ice.  Can someone start a new thread North Idahoice?  98 pages.  I keep reading the first post from 2007.  I do not post often but a North Idaho Ice 2015 would be great. 

Packernut

Offline hooknhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1963 on: Dec 31, 2014, 06:05 PM »
Change the settings in your profile so that it shows the newest posts at the top.

Offline fowl_language

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1964 on: Dec 31, 2014, 07:43 PM »
Winchester lake: December 31, 2014

5 inches of ice close to the launch and fishing pier, only went out about 20 yards from floating pier.

1.5" of snow refreeze and 3.5" inches of the clearest ice I have ever seen, check report and conditions for pictures.

Ridiculous amount of small rainbows like always, small perch like always, trout were very active anything that moved aggressively got smacked.

Offline DR0CK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1965 on: Jan 01, 2015, 02:01 PM »
Has anyone been on any of the local lakes yet?

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1966 on: Jan 01, 2015, 04:07 PM »
I'm going to be the 4th as a gift to my self for my birthday

Offline Jesse Minish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1967 on: Jan 01, 2015, 05:24 PM »
Went out on Blue Lake today. Only fished for about an hour with no luck. Might go again tomorrow and stay longer.

Offline icebomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1968 on: Jan 01, 2015, 06:16 PM »
Both Fernan and Avondale had a bunch kids playing hockey on it today plus a couple ice anglers. Also I went by Hauser yesterday and it looked pretty good but did not get out to check the ice. I'll be out tomorrow.

Offline DR0CK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1969 on: Jan 01, 2015, 06:28 PM »
Thanks for the reports I'll try Avondale tomorrow and give a update on ice conditions

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1970 on: Jan 01, 2015, 07:10 PM »
Got me some bait and some new rigs for the tip-ups plus a new tip-up and a lure for jigging for pike all under $40

Offline stjoemitch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1971 on: Jan 01, 2015, 08:22 PM »
Checked out Black Lake today. 2 1/2" of good clear ice.  Three guys from Wallace with many tipups. No flags.  I tried both ends of the lake for perch. No luck!

Offline plfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1972 on: Jan 01, 2015, 10:57 PM »
Jesse,  which Blue Lake were you at....and what were the ice conditions like?

Offline icefish99

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #1973 on: Jan 02, 2015, 12:15 AM »
Rose Lake I was on Rose Lake to day ice is iffy in places the clear ice cracks under my weight but I am 250 with out the winter gear the other fellows with me had no problem. perch fishing was slow 3 of us got 5 small ones no flags on pike. We went out at Watsons. Be careful out there & Happy New Year. And tight lines to you. The milky ice was about 5 inch's

Offline baetis_elk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1974 on: Jan 02, 2015, 11:34 AM »
Fished Avondale on New Years Day.  Ice was a good 4"+ (measured), and mostly clear.  Caught one large mouth and a bunch of perch.  Nearly all the perch were 8" or smaller.  Dead stick or slow lift and drop for the perch.  Aggressive jigging with a small spoon did seem to draw fish in but very few would touch the spoon.

Offline Jesse Minish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1975 on: Jan 02, 2015, 01:12 PM »
Jesse,  which Blue Lake were you at....and what were the ice conditions like?

Blue Lake in Bonner County. Conditions were ok. I didnt go very far out but I would think its safe to go any where on the lake today.

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1976 on: Jan 02, 2015, 01:58 PM »
Well looks like I'm going to Avondale for more pike bait

Offline stjoemitch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1977 on: Jan 02, 2015, 04:37 PM »
Fished Thompson Lake with a crew of 6 and had no pike with many tip-ups out.  Very Small perch and only two nice crappie. 5" of milky ice where we fished. Main part of lake maybe 2". Then, it started snowing 20 degrees and that will not create very good ice-making conditions.

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1978 on: Jan 02, 2015, 07:41 PM »
Both Fernan and Avondale had a bunch kids playing hockey on it today plus a couple ice anglers. Also I went by Hauser yesterday and it looked pretty good but did not get out to check the ice. I'll be out tomorrow.

Thinking of going to Hauser this weekend.  did you get out there?

Offline atholmike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1979 on: Jan 02, 2015, 10:55 PM »
I went out on Round lake  this afternoon. I went out further than any other tracks that I saw. I was about 100 ft from the open water and I had 5.5 in of clear ice with a couple of in of snow on top. I caught 1 trout and a couple of sm perch. The park ranger was issuing tickets to people who did not pay the park entrance fee or did not have the sticker from the Dept. of Licensing. Can someone clean up this "North Idaho Ice page" with 99 pg. started in 2007 is a bit to much or start a new page titled something like " Panhandle Ice".

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.