Author Topic: North Idaho Ice  (Read 540178 times)

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: North Idaho Ice
« Reply #1680 on: Feb 06, 2014, 12:32 AM »
 avondale snow on top with slush under it and about 7-8 inches of ice
hooked a few bass and bluegill  and plenty of perch two of them were over 11"(11.5" and 12") will be posting photos soon mostly on large millworms
Fishaholic yes I am do I need help only with finding a bigger place to store all my stuff

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1681 on: Feb 06, 2014, 01:22 AM »

today's jumbos
Fishaholic yes I am do I need help only with finding a bigger place to store all my stuff

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #1682 on: Feb 06, 2014, 01:43 AM »
     Mostly on large millworms.
Couple of dandy perch.  Very nice keepers.     ;)2

You must be closely associated with the timber industry or heat with wood and gather those very large white grubs with heads like chainsaw teeth. (hm, millworms).

Or is it pet food, tenebrio molitor, the holometabolic darkling beetle, the larva living in bran or oatmeal and commonly referred to as a mealworm ?       Some health food stores have them baked or fried and make good high protein snacks.     Tasty too.

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1683 on: Feb 06, 2014, 11:30 AM »

today's jumbos

You must be single or your wife is a Saint.  My wife lets me clean fish indoors but I haven't been able to talk her into photographing my catch on the kitchen floor.  You are the man!

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1684 on: Feb 06, 2014, 12:14 PM »
Couple of dandy perch.  Very nice keepers.     ;)2

You must be closely associated with the timber industry or heat with wood and gather those very large white grubs with heads like chainsaw teeth. (hm, millworms).

Or is it pet food, tenebrio molitor, the holometabolic darkling beetle, the larva living in bran or oatmeal and commonly referred to as a mealworm ?       Some health food stores have them baked or fried and make good high protein snacks.     Tasty too.
its the pet food ones you go to duncan's pet shop  in cda and 10cents per worm there almost a 1 1/2 inches i would love to get those one grubs your talking about(the big white ones with the flat head and big teeth

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1685 on: Feb 06, 2014, 12:17 PM »
You must be single or your wife is a Saint.  My wife lets me clean fish indoors but I haven't been able to talk her into photographing my catch on the kitchen floor.  You are the man!
im in my room when i took this and no im not single or married im still living with my mom helping her with bills and stuff

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #1686 on: Feb 06, 2014, 12:41 PM »
Oh, I know Dunkan's, now I need go take a look at those.  Thanks.    ;)2

And you are the man for helping like that.    :bow:

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1687 on: Feb 06, 2014, 12:53 PM »
not a problem btw i was using tip ups and jigging for the fish had just as many bite on the tip up as i did jigging

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1688 on: Feb 06, 2014, 08:45 PM »
Oh, I know Dunkan's, now I need go take a look at those.  Thanks.    ;)2

And you are the man for helping like that.    :bow:

2x

Offline Bearsfan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1689 on: Feb 06, 2014, 09:35 PM »
i would love to get those one grubs your talking about(the big white ones with the flat head and big teeth

I did that one year, saved every grub, worm and larvae I found splitting firewood. They all turned black before the lakes froze.

Offline atholmike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1690 on: Feb 06, 2014, 10:39 PM »
Another cheap place to get meal worms and grubs is "Petco" right by "Olive Garden" on Hwy 95. When some of the sporting goods stores are out they always have them and they are cheaper.

Offline atholmike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1691 on: Feb 06, 2014, 11:10 PM »
Does anybody know if this cold snap has put safe ice back on Cocolalla  lake?

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1692 on: Feb 06, 2014, 11:58 PM »
petco does sell them but i dont know if they are cheaper

Offline fowl_language

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1693 on: Feb 07, 2014, 01:15 AM »
Golden rod maggots are worth the effort of collecting them if they are in this side of the country.  Can freeze and thaw without dying and usually can produce fish, they're inside the goldenrod gall that you have to break open and get the grub.  I got a buddy that just cuts galls and opens them on the ice instead of at home.

http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/gone-fishin%E2%80%99/2013/01/goldenrod-grubs-how-find-your-own-live-bait

Offline Bearsfan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1694 on: Feb 07, 2014, 08:54 AM »
Wow, good memories going out with my dad looking for those. Thanks Fowl for bringing that up.

Offline plfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1695 on: Feb 07, 2014, 09:12 AM »
With the cold the last few days (-20 at Priest Lake)....some of Priest has frozen over. I haven't been on the ice to check conditions but evidently last weekend a few people were on the north end bays and did catch a few Macs.  I spoke with someone yesterday who said Cavanaugh Bay had frozen over but it had just frozen over. I'm going to try driving over to the east side either this afternoon or tomorrow afternoon and see what I can find.

Offline Bearsfan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1696 on: Feb 07, 2014, 09:20 AM »
That's good news PL, we were hoping to get up there the 21st for a long mack weekend. Keep us posted...

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1697 on: Feb 07, 2014, 10:41 AM »
I think my wife and I will head out to Spring Valley res in the morning; any reports? Are they still slaying the planters there?

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1698 on: Feb 07, 2014, 10:48 AM »
Does anybody know if this cold snap has put safe ice back on Cocolalla  lake?

I would imagine if Priest is freezing over Cocolalah is solid end to end.  But you will have to check for yourself as I haven't been there this ice season. That said I wouldn't be afraid to head that way with a plan B if you don't like what you find.

Offline beandip

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1699 on: Feb 07, 2014, 12:27 PM »
China, the bite was great for planters on Monday evening after dark at about 17 degrees, so I imagine with comparable temperature tomorrow, it should still be the same... I think those planters are waiting to be had almost always... the bluegills or crappie might be more finicky, but the planters should be ripe, haha.

Anyone have any reports for lower twin? I am looking to spend tomorrow morning on lower twin for trout and kokanee, then heading to upper twin for pike, perch, after the morning rush.  I am not familiar with lower or upper twin, so if anyone has any guidance for me on where to go on the lake, I would be HUGELY APPRECIATIVE :)

Offline beandip

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1700 on: Feb 07, 2014, 12:30 PM »
To be more specific, I've heard people doing great with the perch most anywhere off the dock on upper twin, but I am more interested in where to park, and hit up for lower twin... second hand info is appreciate too!

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1701 on: Feb 07, 2014, 02:20 PM »
Great, thanks for the info Bean!

Offline DR0CK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1702 on: Feb 07, 2014, 08:48 PM »
Has anyone been to spirit lately?

sihlms391

« Reply #1703 on: Feb 07, 2014, 10:35 PM »
heard people are ice fishing cocollala now!

Offline plfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1704 on: Feb 07, 2014, 10:56 PM »
Got out a bit today to do some recon on Priest this afternoon.  Cavanaugh Bay is partially frozen, with the very south end frozen, the middle of the Bay is open water and the north end has some sketchy ice with plenty of holes in it up to 15 feet in diameter.  As soon as you hit the north end of the Bay the Lake is ice free.  I didn't stop at Cavanaugh's to check ice thickness off the dock, but overall the bay did not look ready yet.  There was some ice near 8 mile island but again didn't look too impressive.  Indian Creek Bay is mostly frozen but the bay looks like a large donut with a big open water patch in the middle.  Definitely sketchy looking ice. North of the narrows by Twin Islands is open water to nearly the north end of the Lake. 
Squaw Bay and Mosquito Bay by Lionhead campground was frozen over.  I drilled my way out a couple of hundred yards and the ice was a measured 9 inches consistently and firm all the way through.

I did drop a line in since I was out there but no bites in the 30 minutes I was out there right at sunset.  Depth was only 40 feet, but someone else had been out there a few days ago by the looks of the covered holes.  I did hear of some folks catching some up there earlier in the week so I'm thinking that these holes may have been them. 

The west side of the Lake does have some frozen bays but from what I've heard the ice doesn't sound too good for fishing right now.

Offline Bearsfan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1705 on: Feb 08, 2014, 08:58 AM »
Thanks plfish, c'mon ice.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #1706 on: Feb 08, 2014, 12:35 PM »
Shantys on the ice at Sunnyside, on the Big Lake.

:icefish:

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1707 on: Feb 08, 2014, 04:59 PM »
Went out on Lower Twin this morning.  Caught quite a few perch.  All small.  Did get one 9" crappie.  12"+ of good ice with 8 to 10" of snow on top.  Saw 5 other guys out there.  Seems like everyone did about the same.

Offline finncatcher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1708 on: Feb 08, 2014, 07:05 PM »
I guess I'm dense, but I can't figure out how to post a picture.   :-\

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #1709 on: Feb 08, 2014, 07:17 PM »
Nope, you just found the truth, you can't post photos on Iceshanty, Finncatcher.

Get a free account on Photobucket and only put the "img" code on Iceshanty.     ;)2

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.