Author Topic: North Idaho Ice  (Read 540156 times)

Offline TJT

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: North Idaho Ice
« Reply #1560 on: Jan 14, 2014, 04:18 PM »
 Avondale ice Update:

Lake has risen almost 12" and the ice has does not touched the shoreline now. Ice is approximately 6-8 feet away from shore and the ice edge is pretty deteriorated. Nobody out fishing although there was an 8' 2X6 to walk out on but did not look safe so I did not venture across it. I know the ice is still good but getting out there is another thing. Bring a 10' to 12' plank and you should be fine....or some hip waders to make it to the ice.

I may go check Hayden tomorrow at sportsman's.......if anyone knows how the ice is please post and save me a trip out there possibly

Offline jojocarebear

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1561 on: Jan 14, 2014, 08:24 PM »
Don't know how hayden is but fished gamble and mirror the other day.  Gamble edges are pulling away.  Mirror ice is real good.  Caught trout, brooky,  kokannee, and spawned out kokanee that was all black. 

Offline elkhuntinfool

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1562 on: Jan 14, 2014, 09:20 PM »
TJT I fished hayden on sunday and the ice was still in pretty good shape. There are a few more springs popping up out there. The ice close to the boat ramp was about 8" and further it was a little over 6". The open water is starting to creep further back into the bay. Fishing was slow only saw 2 people get flags but no fish

Offline soberg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1563 on: Jan 14, 2014, 10:01 PM »
Fowl_langauge, it was nice meeting you on Potholes and thanks for showing me how to use the marcum. We pulled back up because my buddy was missing a pole and we found it ran over at the launch. When we got back we realized my chair was not in the van. Did I leave it on the ice right where I was fishing? Thanks again. Heading to Bozeman the rest of the week might try Ferry Canyon Resivoir if I get done woriking with plenty of daylight one of the days over there. ::)

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1564 on: Jan 14, 2014, 10:21 PM »
hows the ice at fernan lake
Fishaholic yes I am do I need help only with finding a bigger place to store all my stuff

Offline fowl_language

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1565 on: Jan 15, 2014, 12:44 AM »
Fowl_langauge, it was nice meeting you on Potholes and thanks for showing me how to use the marcum. We pulled back up because my buddy was missing a pole and we found it ran over at the launch. When we got back we realized my chair was not in the van. Did I leave it on the ice right where I was fishing? Thanks again. Heading to Bozeman the rest of the week might try Ferry Canyon Resivoir if I get done woriking with plenty of daylight one of the days over there. ::)

Nice meeting you guys too, I had a great time.  Ahh man, bummer on the chair, I scanned the ice around the holes by the launch before I took off and didn't see anything but I left about 30 minutes after you guys so it was pretty dark then I had to pretty much jump to shore.  Maybe it feel of your sled into the water? I didn't see anything from the water to my truck either, wish I did, it would be a good excuse to head up to Moses and fish again.

Good luck this week, be sure to check out the Montana boys they might have some information on their forum that might help out!

Offline stjoemitch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1566 on: Jan 15, 2014, 08:13 AM »
Fished Fernan on Monday and the water came up and the ice was 3-5 feet from the shore in spots.  There were spots closer to shore, got on, and once on the ice was OK but on the "iffy" side.  Fishing was very slow relative to the last four trips I have had there.

Offline icefire2012

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1567 on: Jan 15, 2014, 08:19 PM »
Wow! You gotta be pretty darn desperate to get on the ice if you need a piece of plywood to span the distance between the shore and ice.....yikes!
~IceFire2012~

Offline TJT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1568 on: Jan 16, 2014, 11:27 AM »
Wow! You gotta be pretty darn desperate to get on the ice if you need a piece of plywood to span the distance between the shore and ice.....yikes!

You have no idea ha ha ha.......although I am older and much more cautious these days (especially with my children). There was a time in my younger years that I have done dumber things on ice that was far less safe just to fish believe me.

Offline uprivercasey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1569 on: Jan 16, 2014, 08:42 PM »
I was really wanting to head up north this weekend around rathdrum . Any good ice left up there? I have never ice fished up there any reports on Good ice would be awesome

Offline stjoemitch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1570 on: Jan 16, 2014, 10:06 PM »
Recent catch.

Offline stjoemitch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1571 on: Jan 16, 2014, 10:08 PM »
OK I finally learned how to post a photo.  Catch earlier this season.

sihlms391

« Reply #1572 on: Jan 16, 2014, 10:15 PM »
Nice perch.  At least someone had a good catch today.   

Offline Husky

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1573 on: Jan 16, 2014, 10:21 PM »
Hey all,

I have some buddy's heading up hear tomorrow from Oregon for what was suppose to be their first Ice Fishing experience (long planned date). I have alternate fishing plans for them if the ice isn't good. Any reports on the ice? Since its there first time I don't want to scare them too much by taking them out on some sketchy ice. Any news would be greatly appreciated.

-Husky

sihlms391

« Reply #1574 on: Jan 16, 2014, 10:30 PM »
Husky.  I was just on lower twin today and the Ice is 8 inches plus.  You will just have to go off the dock because someone had a 3 wheeler on the ice and it busted the ice up next to ramp . Upper should be good to.  Lots of small perch up there.  Granite has 12 plus inches of ice.  trout fishing is ok there. 

Offline stjoemitch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1575 on: Jan 17, 2014, 07:19 AM »
Take them to Upper Twin.  Go to the boat launch area and walk straight out from there.  This is the surest place to catch fish, but I have not been there this year, so I can't speak for the ice condition.  Usually one of the last places to keep ice.

Offline weigand

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1576 on: Jan 17, 2014, 11:47 AM »
Hit cocolalla on monday: 5-6 inches of ice with open spots- sportsman access has open water about 10 yards out. East side decent ice with open spots along shore. Had to pick my footing carefully. I'm sure after a week of sun the ice is worse. Only on brookie on a sweedish pimple.

Round lake: 6-9inches of decent ice. Packed snow on top. I'm sure the ice has decreased there as well. Many open and melting previously drilled holes.

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1577 on: Jan 17, 2014, 12:08 PM »
I will be out there tomorrow most likely. (Round Lake)

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #1578 on: Jan 17, 2014, 12:48 PM »
Hit cocolalla on monday: 5-6 inches of ice with open spots- sportsman access has open water about 10 yards out. East side decent ice with open spots along shore. Had to pick my footing carefully. I'm sure after a week of sun the ice is worse. Only on brookie on a sweedish pimple.

Round lake: 6-9inches of decent ice. Packed snow on top. I'm sure the ice has decreased there as well. Many open and melting previously drilled holes.
Ha, I sorta thought that was you when I saw this post. Glad you found the site and welcome.    ;)2

Offline stjoemitch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1579 on: Jan 17, 2014, 06:22 PM »
Fished Fernan with two buddies and we drilled many holes and had a good day, but not outstanding.  I had 24 perch, but only 8 jumbos.  Sun was out, ice was good, really a beautiful day of fishing.

Offline finncatcher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1580 on: Jan 17, 2014, 07:28 PM »
Back to Hauser today...ice was great....fishing was great....catching not so much.   :(    Three medium sized bluegill & about a dozen small perch.

Offline Husky

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1581 on: Jan 18, 2014, 07:46 AM »
Thanks All for your advice on the ice conditions. Ill be headed to Round, Kelso/Granite then Upper Twin to give my Oregon Buds a taste of N. Idaho Ice fishing. I'll report back later on.

-Husky

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1582 on: Jan 18, 2014, 02:21 PM »
Went to Round Lake today.  Ice was holding up great.  11 - 12" and solid.  Fishing was slow. 

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1583 on: Jan 18, 2014, 05:35 PM »
Fished Fernan with two buddies and we drilled many holes and had a good day, but not outstanding.  I had 24 perch, but only 8 jumbos.  Sun was out, ice was good, really a beautiful day of fishing.
hey  did you guys have a guy wearing a red jacket join you
Fishaholic yes I am do I need help only with finding a bigger place to store all my stuff

Offline finncatcher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1584 on: Jan 18, 2014, 06:39 PM »
Just curious....do any of you perch fishermen know how to prepare and enjoy the roe?

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #1585 on: Jan 18, 2014, 07:33 PM »
Just curious....do any of you perch fishermen know how to prepare and enjoy the roe?

OH NO !!!!   Another gross-out.       :sick:

I've tried fried, scrambled with cackle berries and pickled. 100% Wanton waste of resources and time.

Grew up in the deep south, eating every kind of egg to be found there.  Some very mild, most good table fare.  Just can't get on the outside of perch roe.   Even put some down the ice hole in 5 FOW, a week later they were still there, nothing would touch them, not bullheads, not crawdads, suckers nor aquatic insects. 

So, bring on yer recipes ~ we need a good laugh.    :woot: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1586 on: Jan 18, 2014, 09:40 PM »

Fried hard in Zatarans batter and pressed flat with spatula and fried some more. YUM! Maybe once a year.

Offline Packernut

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1587 on: Jan 19, 2014, 01:25 AM »
Took my wife and 6 year old to upper Twin today to test out the new gas auger I ordered from Cabelas. It worked like a charm. Started on the first pull out of the box. Got to the lake and it took a few pulls to start. Plenty of power. Ice was a solid 8 1/2 inches thick. Fishing was steady but perch were small. My daughter wanted to keep everything but none made it home today. We used the underwater camera and saw a ton of perch within 2 inches of the bottom. Worms had the best success. Glow jigs and Swedish pimples worked equally well. We fished right out from the launch from 1:00 to 3:00.

Tight lines.

Packernut

Offline fowl_language

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1588 on: Jan 19, 2014, 01:36 AM »
Winchester lake 1/18/2014:
Keeping or building ice in spots, 6-9 inches of good stuff, 1-3 inches of white ice.

Not a hot day but did catch trout and panfish were feeding just not on smaller jigs w/wax worms, spikes or crawlers.  Good bite early I guess, though I wasn't there.

I keep all of mine just in case I find a use for them, my immediate thought was to fish them for sturgeon this summer? Dunno, worth a try I guess.

Offline atholmike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1589 on: Jan 19, 2014, 08:23 AM »
Is there anybody going to Fernan this morning and know what the ice conditions and fishing is like? The last 2 times that I have been out there the fishing has sucked.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.