Author Topic: North Idaho Ice  (Read 540323 times)

sihlms391

Re: North Idaho Ice
« Reply #840 on: Feb 03, 2012, 10:50 AM »
Went to upper twin night ice fishing 2/2/12,  Slow fishing.  Shoreline is going fast at the boat launch.  Might need a board to get on it pretty soon.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #841 on: Feb 04, 2012, 01:53 AM »
I counted thirty one search holes augered near the beaver lodge at the inlet at Round Lake and no one anywhere on the lake.
 Not much happening, the eagles have gone, the fish shunned me, saw one small fish rise in open water.
But, the sun was warm and the breeze felt good.      ;)2

It was like summer, just without the skeets to bite ya.

Offline atholmike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #842 on: Feb 05, 2012, 12:46 PM »
I went to Fernan Friday afternoon. I started nailing the Perch & some guy named Tony came out with his daughter who was in 1st grade. (She had only caught 1 fish in her life). Between spelling & talking I told the father what my plan was. I would set the hook on the fish then hand the pole to the girl, then 1 of us would tell the girl she just caught 1 & she would reel it in. She "Caught 6 perch". It was a blast watching her :thumbsup:. Once when I handed her the pole I loosened the drag. She thought she had a huge one. It was hilarious.  :roflmao:The Ice was 8 in & starting to get honeycombed. There was about 8 in of water along the shoreline.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #843 on: Feb 05, 2012, 04:37 PM »
 :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Nice work handing the pole off to her. Some of my best trips were made of watching little kids I dont even know try to land Steelhead or Salmon I hooked.

Offline born2fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #844 on: Feb 06, 2012, 09:32 AM »
Went to Winchester on Saturday. Caught 2 big trout, 1 Bluegill, 3 Bass, and 2 tiny perch. What a great lake. Still havent got a bunch of blue gill like some guys but I sure do love fishing there. Now I am going to look for the catfish. It was a really great and the weather was pretty nice too.

Offline born2fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #845 on: Feb 06, 2012, 09:35 AM »
Do anybody know when the Elk River Ice Tourney is, or has it already passed?

Offline sticksandstring

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #846 on: Feb 06, 2012, 09:00 PM »
born2fish im pretty sure it was last weekend. Really wanted to take the kid but didnt have the funds. :( :(

sihlms391

« Reply #847 on: Feb 06, 2012, 09:04 PM »
I was on mirror lake to day and it has over 12 plus inches of ice and it was producing ice today.  Also went to round and it has lots of ice too.,  Looking at temps I think it may hold for awhile longer. 

Offline plfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #848 on: Feb 06, 2012, 11:03 PM »
Hit Chase Lake yesterday with my 6 yr old.  12 inches of ice with the top 2" not that hard.  The rest of the layer was very firm and the ice had 2 inches of snow on top.  Right after we got there we started marking fish with the flasher and my son hooked into a decent perch.  Got it up to the hole and it was every bit of 12-14 inches.  Of course he spits the hook out just as he's coming out of the hole. I don't remember if I've ever landded a perch that big myself.  Over the next 2 hours we ended up with 2 smaller perch on the ice and only a few bites.  We marked fish for the first 30-40 minutes and then nothing the rest of the time.  My son was very excited to get that one that got away so we'll try again next weekend.

sihlms391

« Reply #849 on: Feb 06, 2012, 11:38 PM »
Caught some sunfish at round today.  Went to clean them tonight a they have what looks like white larva eggs in the skin  and meat.   I will try to post a picture.  I caught 8 and 4 had these things in them.  If anybody could tell me what they are I would like to know. 

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #850 on: Feb 06, 2012, 11:58 PM »
sihlms391, if those photos give you a fit, just let us know, we can help.
I'd really like to see this, hmm, what ever it is. Get an account at   http://photobucket.com/
It's free. Upload your photos to your album. Only the code can be posted on Iceshanty. You get that code from your album on Photo Bucket and just put it in a reply here.
Questions or problems? Just ask.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #851 on: Feb 07, 2012, 12:09 AM »
White or yellowish/cream colored and the size of a small rice kernel? I have seen those in bass and perch as well.

sihlms391

« Reply #852 on: Feb 07, 2012, 01:07 AM »
  Here is a picture of sunfish meat

Offline IDREBEL

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #853 on: Feb 07, 2012, 02:12 AM »
sihlms391

These are actually quite common.  They look like the larval stage of the yellow grub.  The story on these guys is that the adults live in the throats of fish eating birds(like herons).  When the birds are feeding, the eggs wash out in the water.  They hatch in the water and infect snails.  They develop in the snails, leave and then burrow into the flesh of the fish.  This life cycle is why they are more often seen in fish that spend more time in shallow water.  The part of their life cycle that takes place in the birds would be the reason they easily spread from one body of water to another.  I've seen these in several warm water species in every lake I that I've kept fish here in Idaho(not often in crappie).  I grew up in Northern Michigan and we almost always saw these in fish like bluegill, perch, largemouth bass,etc.  We always tried to get them out when we cleaned our fish, but I'm sure I've eaten my share.  As far as I know I don't have any living in me.  I'm am told that they pose no threat when cooked.
I hope this helps answer your question.

Offline perchsoup

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #854 on: Feb 07, 2012, 04:51 AM »
Regarding the little white buggers, I found them in fish from Providence Lake over by Bottle Bay. Picked them out,but the fish never did taste the same. Never went back. Always thought I might of missed one  Thanks for the information on them.

While I'am here, any suggestions on hooking up bait for pike on upper twin next weekend?

sihlms391

« Reply #855 on: Feb 07, 2012, 08:25 AM »
IDREBEL,  Thanks for answer question.  I don't think my wife will eat fish that I catch now.   

Offline sticksandstring

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #856 on: Feb 07, 2012, 09:46 AM »
The little white larva are pretty commin in a lot of areas, around the states looking threw other states posts i see them quite a bit

Offline Hoosier

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Bucket,some bait and,,what did she ask me to do??
« Reply #857 on: Feb 07, 2012, 05:58 PM »
Little butter ,salt,pepper,,and dont tell nobody,.. ;D

Offline atholmike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #858 on: Feb 10, 2012, 09:48 AM »
Does anybody know anything about that small lake Stoneridge outside of Blanchard? :unsure:

Offline JigginInID

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #859 on: Feb 10, 2012, 11:56 AM »
Little butter ,salt,pepper,,and dont tell nobody,.. ;D
LOL. :roflmao:

sihlms391

« Reply #860 on: Feb 10, 2012, 09:09 PM »
whoesale warehouse ice fishing stuff is 20 percent off now.  just thought someone might be interested.  they have lots of stuff.

Offline atholmike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #861 on: Feb 10, 2012, 09:32 PM »
Does anyone know anything about the Ice conditions at Cocolalla?

sihlms391

« Reply #862 on: Feb 10, 2012, 09:44 PM »
I don't know the condition of cocolalla but round has lots of ice on it still.  I bet the shore line is starting to go.  I hope we don't get much rain and our ice fishing will hold up. 

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #863 on: Feb 10, 2012, 09:47 PM »
Hey Mike, it must be safe because Fish & Game has a party planned on Saturday.

http://www.cdapress.com/news/outdoors/article_b69c7d98-4736-5b1f-bd54-25280ba94737.html

Offline sticksandstring

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #864 on: Feb 11, 2012, 12:14 AM »
Idahogator that look like a good article in the paper thanks for sharing

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #865 on: Feb 11, 2012, 12:32 AM »
Thanks. I try to keep up with and share, especially for the kids and newbies. That's a long drive for you, but the hot chocolate might be worth it,ha.
 See you on the ice sticksandstring, I'll be that old guy, usually sittin' down. Take care.

Offline sticksandstring

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #866 on: Feb 11, 2012, 09:55 AM »
Well cant make it up there today. Wife got me hockey tickets for tonight. ;D ;D

Offline atholmike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #867 on: Feb 12, 2012, 02:10 PM »
I stopped & talked to "Fish & game" at Cocolalla yesterday & They said the ice was about 8 in. I was also told that people were catching more fish than at the 1 on Hauser. I went up to Mirror. The ice was 10 in. While up there I saw a guy put his Buddy's spud bar through the ice. The spud bar is now on the bottom of the lake. I was thinking to myself "Sucks to be him".

sihlms391

« Reply #868 on: Feb 12, 2012, 06:57 PM »
I won't get go fishing until friday.     Hoping to hit mirror again.  Did you do any good atholmike.

Offline atholmike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #869 on: Feb 13, 2012, 11:15 AM »
I caught 1 small Kokanee about 6 in long. I was in about 20 feet of water using a perch set up about 1 foot off of the bottom. I am going over to Shepard or Gamble today. I will decide when I get to the end of Dufort rd.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.