Author Topic: North Idaho Ice  (Read 543534 times)

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
Re: North Idaho Ice
« Reply #690 on: Dec 26, 2011, 08:30 PM »
Wear something reflective, so those dirtbikes can see ya, if they have headlights. :woot: :roflmao:

Offline jwice444

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #691 on: Dec 26, 2011, 10:27 PM »
Has anybody fished antelope lake by Clark Fork?

Offline idahonative

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #692 on: Dec 26, 2011, 11:31 PM »
Well I didn't get run over by the motorcycles  ;D. I did manage to bring in this brute about 10 minutes after I got there.

Nailed it on a blood worm glow jig.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #693 on: Dec 26, 2011, 11:49 PM »
Ahh, most delicious and beautiful.    ;)2

Oh, say, there's a nice jumbo perch in there too.      :woot: :roflmao: :thumbsup:

Offline vl777

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #694 on: Dec 27, 2011, 12:23 AM »
 Not experienced in bottle-measuring perch  ;D but to me the perch looks to have about the same volume as the measurement sample, ~ 10-11 oz  :)

Offline idahonative

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #695 on: Dec 27, 2011, 12:28 AM »

Another take. It was almost 11".

Offline vl777

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #696 on: Dec 27, 2011, 12:54 AM »
Fished Zoolalla today. At least 30 people were fishing today. Perch was a little more finicky than a week ago. Culled, kept about 20 or so 8-9" and one gut-hooked 7"; Most took the smallest glow Swedish Pimple. Ice was 4.5" - 5.5" out to at least 200 yards from the ramp. At about 3pm decided to call it quits, and went on to check Shepherd lake. Access is good. Ice near boat ramp is clear and is about 7" thick. Randomly picked a spot and fished it for 40 min or so; the depth was 36'. Marked fish throughout the whole water column, had multiple bites, lost one fish and landed one palm-sized crappie.
Tight lines!

Offline Wapiti300

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #697 on: Dec 27, 2011, 09:01 PM »
Went to Rose lake today.  Ice was OK but I'm not sure for how long.  Got three flags but lost them all.  Tons of tiny stunted perch though.  I was wondering if anyone knew how the ice on Fernan was faring.

Offline idahonative

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #698 on: Dec 27, 2011, 09:39 PM »
There was still close to 5" but it was definitely worn. Lots of air bubbles, but still pretty solid.

Offline atholmike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #699 on: Dec 28, 2011, 08:49 AM »
I went out on Fernan yesterday for a few hours. I came off of the lake at dusk. I caught 22 perch on jigs & maggots right off of the bottom. About 3 pm the perch were hammering the jigs. I also caught 1- 14 in trout on a tip up set about 3 ft under the ice. The ice was about 4 in close to shore & 5 in out in the middle of the lake.

sihlms391

« Reply #700 on: Dec 28, 2011, 09:56 AM »
Now that is a good day of fishing on fernan.  I can't catch very many perch on that lake even with my flasher.

Offline idahonative

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #701 on: Dec 28, 2011, 07:06 PM »
Windy and slick @ Fernan! All the snow is gone off the ice and it is slick! But still brought in a few nice perch!

Offline JakeTischer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #702 on: Dec 28, 2011, 08:44 PM »
Does anyone know what the best lakes around are for bluegills? Crappies?

Offline chipmunksniper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #703 on: Dec 28, 2011, 09:00 PM »
We caught a ton of bluegill this summer on Hauser. haven't targeted them through the ice there but i imagine they are still there

Offline JakeTischer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #704 on: Dec 28, 2011, 09:09 PM »
Thank you for the info! I rely appreciate it

sihlms391

« Reply #705 on: Dec 28, 2011, 09:11 PM »
Jake.  Fernan has some nice bluegills.  I haven't ice fished it this year yet.  I haven't had much luck for crappie.  I know upper twin has a lot.   I think these warm temps are going to put a damper on ice fishing for awhile.  I hate fishing on a skating rink. 

Offline atholmike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #706 on: Dec 28, 2011, 09:25 PM »
I went to Kelso for a few hours this morning & got skunked. I had a few bites but they dont count in the frying pan. Also the ice was slick with about 1/2 in of water on top of the ice. Does anybody know anything about "Granite".

sihlms391

« Reply #707 on: Dec 28, 2011, 11:10 PM »
Granite is a tough lake to ice fish. Has trout, bass, perch, and crappie.  It is 160 feet deep in the center.  It has a nice weed bed toward the far end of the lake.  My biggest trout out of there was 19 inches and that was about four years ago through the ice.   I have yet to catch any perch or crappie through the ice there.  Give a try.  I think there is some good fish in there.

Offline jwice444

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #708 on: Dec 28, 2011, 11:30 PM »
What do you guys think the best lake by Sandpoint for perch? I was thinking Round or Cocolalla?

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #709 on: Dec 29, 2011, 08:35 AM »
Round lake and Cocolalla are both good for perch.  They are a little bigger at round lake but the bite is slower.  Cocolalla is usually faster.  This year you can pick through them at Cocolalla and end up with a nice bunch of 8 and 9 inchers.   The ice on Cocolalla is a couple of inches thinner then Round.  I hope it holds up during this warm spell.  Be careful.

sihlms391

« Reply #710 on: Dec 30, 2011, 07:29 PM »
has anyone been up to round today.  Just wondering if it is still fish able.  I was up there Wed.  and all the old holes seemed to open up,.   I have yet to miss going ice  fishing on new years day.  Hope I can go.  I have got some pretty nice perch from round. 

Offline sticksandstring

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #711 on: Dec 30, 2011, 10:07 PM »
do any of you northern guys think there is any fishable ice up here ??? ???

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #712 on: Dec 31, 2011, 06:58 PM »
I am going tomorrow anyways.  It doesn't look like its going to get any better over the 10 day forecast! Please get colder, please.

sihlms391

« Reply #713 on: Dec 31, 2011, 06:58 PM »
My buddy saw guys fishing on upper twin lakes today.  The edges on upper twin are soft.    I am heading to round lake  in morning.  I was up there wed.  and it had 5 inches of ice but a lot of holes were open up. 

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #714 on: Dec 31, 2011, 10:19 PM »
Spent the last two days on Winchester...  Ice is in GREAT SHAPE.  Rained most of the day yesterday and the AM bite was non-existant.  Yesterday evening and this morning we found the gills and got a bunch of nice slabs.  Caught some perch, bass, rainbows and crappie, too.  Good fishing.

Jim

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #715 on: Jan 01, 2012, 02:51 PM »
Ice breaking up along shore at the boat launch at the North end of Lake Cocolalah, definitely not safe there.  Round Lake has some good ice left at parking area but now has open water on far side and at the outlet stream.  I don't like any open water,especially on a small lake like that.  Be careful.  Need cold weather fast!

Offline Bearsfan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #716 on: Jan 01, 2012, 04:12 PM »
Man, good thing we moved back down to the semi-colder area of Idaho. There is ice down here. If there is no snow, plenty of mountain lakes you guys can get to drive to. Brush, up near the border, Bloom, east of Elmira, Dennick, near Bloom but well worth the 1/2 mile hike, Walsh, in Samuels freezes early and tends to be colder in that area. Beaver, east of Naples, another 1/2 mile hike might be worth it for big Browns. Yep Browns. Good luck all. ???

sihlms391

« Reply #717 on: Jan 01, 2012, 09:16 PM »
Went to granite tonight.  Fished with the lantern .  Caught one sunfish.  they where on my fish finder but weren't biting.  8 inches of ice on back end.  Went to round in morning.  Very slow.  5 inches of ice. 

Offline dkowinchester

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #718 on: Jan 01, 2012, 11:46 PM »
Great new year at  Winchester lake Ice great could not keep the bows off went small and got in to the gills in the late hours must have released 50 love my new vx1 pro   :clap:

Offline idahonative

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #719 on: Jan 02, 2012, 12:10 AM »
sihlms391, did you happen to go by Kelso while you were out there?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.