Author Topic: North Idaho Ice  (Read 543560 times)

Offline riske

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: North Idaho Ice
« Reply #480 on: Feb 18, 2011, 02:14 PM »
Does anyone know who sat out on Cocolalla all night earlier this week.  When I drove by at dusk there was a pop up on the ice and then the next morning at 730 it was still there.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #481 on: Feb 18, 2011, 02:26 PM »
I saw that too riske. Didn't know there was a night bite, but maybe they're trying the full moon. I'll try to get out there tomorrow and make contact. Full result will be here Sat. by 7:00 pm, unless it's so good I'll stay all night.

Offline chipmunksniper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #482 on: Feb 18, 2011, 07:09 PM »
Anybody been to upper Twin this week? i'm headed there tomorrow and was wondering what the ice is like

Offline riske

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #483 on: Feb 18, 2011, 07:45 PM »
COLD.

No really I am wondering the same thing.  I am sure its safe but I was thinking of bringing my Quad this weekend and my nephew.  Just wondering how the acess is.  I am sure once your on the cake its just fine but wondering if it has pulled away fromshore at all.  I doubt it.  I was there last weekend and it was fine.  And its been cold enough.

Anyone know where to get Smelt?  Any of the grocery stores have any.  I hate paying $6 for 6 at the blacksheep. When you can buy it for $3 a pound at super one. And get better bait.

Maybe I should go catch some planters and perch tomorrow and Pike on Sunday.

Offline idaho4life

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #484 on: Feb 18, 2011, 10:17 PM »
Any word on the chain lakes?

Offline fishslayerX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #485 on: Feb 19, 2011, 04:44 PM »
Yea I got some fish from super1 in post falls not shure  they were smelt, but we got a big old bag of them and they work fine, good price. The price of bait is insane anymore you are lucky if you get worms for less than 2$ a dozen. I'm going to start a worm farm any suggestions. Also how is the ice I have not been on it for a wile, been river fishing with some luck, and some no luck.

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #486 on: Feb 19, 2011, 06:21 PM »
The Rathdrum Drug in Rathdrum has smelt and Hering.  Little pricy too if I remember right.  They were doing pretty good on Pike using perch earlier this winter on Upper Twin.

Offline riske

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #487 on: Feb 20, 2011, 11:21 AM »
I hit Cocolalla yesterday. Checked out the south end but didnt go out on it.  Drove up to the northend and was about to walk out and give it a shot in the galeforce wind but I talked to a guy that just came off and he said he didnt have a bite.  So i decidd to hit Kelso on the way home thinking it would be sheltered from the wind.  Fished till dark and didnt have a bite.  The guy I talked to at Cocollala had the same thought I did.  He followed me out there.  Neither of us had a bite.  Nice guy though. I think he said his name was Mike.
Was that any of you guys?

Anyhow headed to Twin today. Wish I had some good bait.  Guess I will have to catch some today.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #488 on: Feb 20, 2011, 12:12 PM »
I was out on Cocolalla also and didn't get a bite. I talked to several others and they all got 35 or 40 perch at the 40' depth, one fella marked some very large trout suspended at 30' with no takers. That was the windiest day I've ever been out and it sure took a toll on this old body.
 That shanty that was left out over night seemed to have been occupied ~ they must be on a hot hole.
Good luck at Twin.

Tom

Offline sediver

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #489 on: Feb 21, 2011, 12:01 PM »
I also went out on Cocolalla Saturday during the "wind storm" and didn't get any bites  :(.  There's still 8" of ice on Cocolalla which is nice. Fished Dawson Lake on Sunday and again didn't get any bites. There's plenty of ice there though, my Mora had nearly its whole screw in the ice before I hit water). I spotted a few fish (bass, perch and gills) on my camera at Dawson but they just didn't seem interested in anything that I presented to them (maggotts, worms, Swedish Pimples). Any tips on baits to use at Dawson for the bass ?   

Offline Fishing Nut!

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #490 on: Feb 21, 2011, 12:42 PM »
My cousin and i fished Dawson Tuesday last week caught eleven bass all right at 11 inches using green Swedish pimple red flasher and maggots. The south end of the lake has produced all year for me. ;)

Offline fishslayerX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #491 on: Feb 21, 2011, 01:32 PM »
I was looking at the weather report looks like good news for us ice fans. Going to be 0 in the morning on fri sat cool that should lock up some ice on the lakes. I would not mind the snow they are talking of either need it for the runoff in the spring. Good luck this week be safe. If any of you all make it out to the chain lakes let me know how the ice looks. :tipup:

Offline riske

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #492 on: Feb 21, 2011, 02:31 PM »
I ended up not going to Twin but went back to Cocolalla.

I killed them there.  I brought home a dozen over 9" and a couple pushing 12"

Plus I brought home a bunch of 6" ers for bait.  I fished for about 2 hours and caught at least 30 maybe more.  But I wasnt fishing right on the bottom for them.  I fish the bottom to find them and once I did I started fish anywhere from bottom to 5 ' off.  The bigger ones would hit it before the bait made it to the bottom.

Offline fishslayerX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #493 on: Feb 21, 2011, 03:54 PM »
Nice those perch will make real good bait, and you can't beat the price. Like I say free is always the best price :tipup:

Offline crappieluvr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #494 on: Feb 21, 2011, 05:51 PM »
I'm a long time fisherman but a rookie to the ice. So I'm learnin this thing called ice fishing! Had great luck the last couple of weeks fishing Perkins up here in Boundary Co. mostly bluegill and small crappie.  But am lookin to find some crappie through the ice around the Sandpoint area on Wed. (thats my day out). Any suggestions?

Offline fishslayerX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #495 on: Feb 22, 2011, 10:13 AM »
Welcome to iceshanty Crappieluver do you live in sandpoint or bonners. My crappie fishing is pretty  limited I fish pike cats and bluebacks mostly through the ice. Are their any pike in perkins lake never fished that one. I have fished dawson and freeman i think they have crappie but never had any luck with them sorry i cant be more helpful.  Most of the crappie i catch through the ice are from avondale and are very small. :tipup:

Offline crappieluvr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #496 on: Feb 22, 2011, 10:53 AM »
Thanks fishslayer. I live in Bonners. I fish perkins quite a bit but never caught a pike. I always fish for perch or crappie but I have heard rumors about pike in there.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #497 on: Feb 22, 2011, 01:08 PM »
Welcome Crappieluvr, I've never targeted crappie thru the ice but have heard of a few hot spots in open water if you'd like to know of, let me hear from you.  Tom

Offline crappieluvr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #498 on: Feb 22, 2011, 01:35 PM »
Thanks Tom, As you can tell by my name I am always looking for more crappie spots open water or not!

Offline perchhead1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #499 on: Feb 22, 2011, 05:28 PM »
13 inches of snow in Bonners Ferry today will make Boundary Co Lakes a little tough to get around on.

Offline jwice444

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #500 on: Feb 24, 2011, 09:20 AM »
Has anyone ever fished smith lake or sinclair lake in boundary county? What are the best lakes in Boundary? :-\

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #501 on: Feb 24, 2011, 09:55 AM »
I've been on Smith Lake a few times last year and can say it has good depth and usually always safe ice (truck tracks) and had the lake to myself. Gold or red #6 aberdeen w/spike never made it to the bottom, as a trout would grab it. Sonar will help the first time out to find the weed line.
Tell us what you find JW, and good luck.

Offline crappieluvr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #502 on: Feb 24, 2011, 11:04 AM »
Jwice, I always fish Perkins and have done quite well on the back side using Shrimpo's tipped with maggots. I have used the Berkley gulp but for ice its just hard to beat the real thing. The ice is at least 16" and growing with this cold. Good Luck

Offline fishslayerX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #503 on: Feb 24, 2011, 12:30 PM »
Holey cow it is nasty out, hats off to anyone out in this trying to fish. I'm going to wait till sun to head out next be safe the roads are nasty.  Boundry co. has never been that good to me ice fishing. If the ice is safe I would try McAurther res it holds some awesome bass and maybe some Pike not shure bout the pike part, but heard through the vine that there are some biggins in McA. :tipup:

Offline sediver

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #504 on: Feb 24, 2011, 01:52 PM »
Thanks for the lure suggestion for the bass at Dawson (Fishing Nut!)
...The next time I fish Dawson I'm going to give the green Swedish Pimples a try. Did you use the "Green Ice" or "Prism Kelly" model ?
Yesterday, I thought I'd be brave (or crazy) and fish Cocolalla dispite the forecast. Initially, the weather wasn't that bad  but as soon as the wind started coming out of the North and the snow started to fall it became pretty miserable fast !. The perch were bitting pretty good and their size seemed a little bit bigger then I've been catching so I tried to stick it out....Well, frost bite won over the bite of the fish so I headed home....my trucks heater never felt so good. I caught about 15 perch and there was about 9" of ice.

Offline Fishing Nut!

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #505 on: Feb 24, 2011, 02:48 PM »
Hey (Sediver) that lures a Green ice.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #506 on: Feb 24, 2011, 03:02 PM »
A hearty welcome to you many new ice nuts.
Anyone been out to Round Lake lately?
Sediver,were the perch coming off the 40' level yet? Thanks, Tom

Offline sediver

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #507 on: Feb 25, 2011, 12:15 PM »
The perch that I caught were about 450 feet off the Eastern side of the lake (where folks come in from the railroad tracks)...on that day, all the other fishermen out there (a total of 4(without shanties)) were fishing in a line (extending North) about the same distance off shore....I'm not sure of the depth. Sorry, Tom.

Thanks for the additional information (Fishing Nut!).

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #508 on: Feb 25, 2011, 12:34 PM »
It's a term of endearment ~ IceNuts, as in crazy/nutty enough to be out in this chilly weather. This morning I registered 11 below, YIKES and JEEBERS! But we're makin' ice.

:thumbsup: :clap:

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #509 on: Feb 25, 2011, 09:14 PM »
  Winchester Lake is even sloppier than it was last weekend.  Stepped into two holes while dragging my sled to THE spot to look for perch.  Oops, forgot my flasher....  Oops, my fishing license is in my flasher case...  So back I went...way too much work for nothing, but drilled a couple of holes and lots of ice on the State Park side.
  Spring Valley has snow, slush, and water on top of the ice.  Only about 1/3 of the garbage that Winchester has.  Roughly 14" of ice 80 yards from the boat launch; had enough shanty pulling for one day.

Jim

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.