Author Topic: hooks for pike  (Read 3847 times)

muskyman30

hooks for pike
« on: Feb 17, 2003, 04:09 PM »
i no this is a ice fihing site but i have  question about open water pike fishing. i was wondering what size hooks you guys use for live bait fishing. thanks

Offline AlgaeKilla

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: hooks for pike
« Reply #1 on: Feb 18, 2003, 09:40 AM »
It really depends on the size to the bait.   On a quick strike rig I use treble hook just a little bigger than you'd find on a bass crankbait with a six inch shiner.  Bring wire cutters and maybe jaw spreaders if you plan on releasing them.
Photobucket can suck it

Justin16

Re:hooks for pike
« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2003, 04:16 PM »
My favorite bait for pike would have to be the biggest shiners I can get my hands on.  Sometimes 10"+.  Big bait=Big fish.........That is what I believe most of the time.

Justin

acsacmboy

« Reply #3 on: Dec 29, 2003, 10:37 AM »
i tryed circle hooks this year on pike and they worked out pretty good. hook the minno thru the lips and you should be in buisiness. i think it was a 1/0hook

Offline Muskie Matt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Throw'em back! & report abuse EPO # 800.632.8075
« Reply #4 on: Dec 29, 2003, 10:50 AM »
I've used circle & quick strike rigs succesfully. Some don't like the cirlce hooks, but I havent had any problems.

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2003, 12:44 PM »
I use #2 Mustad 3551 trebles. This is how I hook my bait.

ICESLAYER

« Reply #6 on: Dec 29, 2003, 02:53 PM »
I DON'T FISH MUCH WITH LIVE BAIT BUT I USE DEAD SMELT.  FOR HOOKS I LIKE TO USE A DOUBLE TREBLE SETUP WITH THE TREBLES ABOUT A SIZE TWO.  HOOK ONE THROUGH THE HEAR OR LIPS AND ONE THROUGH THE DORSAL.  WORKS GOOD FOR DEAD BAIT.

zoom

« Reply #7 on: Jan 08, 2004, 01:09 PM »
5/0 gammi live bait hook is a beautifuL thing for 6 to 8"baits in my book. big gap but not to heavy and i must say there steep but you wont find a sharper hook out of the pack these babies will stick you if you look at em wrong!!ZOOM

hardwaterhenry

« Reply #8 on: Jan 09, 2004, 07:24 AM »
if you want a sharper hook than a gamie fish owner or diachi, i use octopus style only problem is once and a while they turn back into the bait

zoom

« Reply #9 on: Jan 09, 2004, 01:19 PM »
thats funny i was going to say that the diaechi and owners are a little sharper but so is the price differance and i meant the octupuss in the gammies  ;D!!ZOOM

Offline nodakbassmaster

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 11, 2004, 09:53 PM »
I am completely new to the site here, but I have a question if anyone can be so kind as to help me out.

I am trying to find a place online to order some large smelt hooks and have hit a dead end. I am trying to find the kind that look kinda like 3/4 of a triangle (does this description make any sense ) Thank you for your help.
-Richard

Not enough ice or time... not necessarily in that order.

Offline water_wolf

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A water_wolf in sheepheads clothing
« Reply #11 on: Jan 13, 2004, 10:10 AM »
For hooks on open water and ice fishing I use Gamakatsu #2 trebles.  On larger bait I add a quick strike rig in size #4 or #2.
Rich Ferguson

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.