Author Topic: There's still ice fishing available right outside a major city  (Read 987 times)

Offline J Miser

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Anchorage Alaska - Can't get home fast enuf!!!
http://www.adn.com/outdoors/story/447132.html

It's funny, I ice-fished this lake back in Feb, 1999.  we went out here for a week of icefishing knowing we hooked a couple dozen trout from 20 up to 30 inchesthe summer before.  Given that its a 6 mile hike in the winter (only 3.5 in the summer depending on how big and burly your truck is), we had to pack light which meant a tiny chainsaw and a wood axe for cutting a hole.  Well, we got out there and set up camp monday, started the chainsaw up tuesday at 8am, the chainsaw became a permanent piece of structure to the lake at 8:03 - seized.  So, we got the ax out.  BY thursday, we had a hole chopped out that was 4feet by 4 feet and we were standing in the hole with about 6 feet of ice from top to bottom.  Needless to say, we sort of,
in our drunk stupor, figured that if we busted through to water, we'd never get out of the hole in time, and well, aint worth drowning in the shadow of the Suicide Peaks. We figured one more foot of ice, all that effort only to walk out Friday never to drop a line and having that story till m final day.  God, 30 inch rainbow through the ice, I'll be home soon.

Oh yeah, and they are catching 30 pound king salmon in lower Rabbit creek - 8 miles downstream from the lake - a creek that is only 10 feet wide and doesn't have near enough water to keep the backs of the fish dry.  No need to even bring a rod.

Dr. JM
My private lakes: Laurel, Gruber, Emerald complex (Mountaintop, E Emerald, W Emerald, Pine Tree, Deer, Lower Deer, Halfmoon, Hunter, Little Mountaintop), Leisure Lk, Leisure Pd, Monroe, Tego, Little Tego, Upper Spring, Pocono Summit, Blue Mountain.  I want Naomi, Paupacken, and Hallowood and I'll chase the dream called Pocono Lake

Offline rvz

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: There's still ice fishing available right outside a major city
« Reply #1 on: Jun 28, 2008, 09:03 AM »
http://www.adn.com/outdoors/story/447132.html

Looks like you boys in AK might get an early start on next season but things could turn around.  We've already had a wetter and warmer spring than normal here in Upstare New York.

Offline Sven936

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: There's still ice fishing available right outside a major city
« Reply #2 on: Jun 28, 2008, 09:04 PM »
Maybe its El Nino or something  ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.